Removing the word China/Chinese from phrases/labels

Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc. speak English, but they’re not from England.

1 Like

Thats why “australia amount of km2” works

1 Like

For you, but it’s your opinion and not necessarily true.

Not his opinion.

It is an accepted fact that Australia is the smallest continent, so anything smaller than it is not a continent.

Do you have a source?

the meaing of continent is not a science. It is defined by convention.

1 Like

Except there is no agreement to that definition.

There remains wide disagreement as to what continents and islands are.

Australia/Oceania is the smallest continent.

So you see the issue with trying the classify the natural world into strict categories. Many things are like this when you get into the fine details - dividing organisms into families/genera/etc., categorizing biomolecules or fields of scientific study, and so on.

At some point the criteria are always arbitrary and fuzzy at the edges, so I don’t think it’s useful to dwell on things like the absolute distinction between islands and continents. Especially not in this thread. There’s no definite answer or authority to appeal to here, just conventional usage. And we all have a feeling for what the word “island” means, which may change with the context.

not a personal opinion. A widely accepted concept.

3 Likes

By who?

National Geographic Society apparently.

England isnt, currently, commiting genocide and trying to (publicly) take over the world. If china was sane and lacking in psychotic tendancies, agreed!

1 Like

there are several ways of definition doesn’t mean all of them are equal. By contexts the term is used, there are more commonly accepted definitions and less accepted ones.

Thats your opinion

Again, there is little definition to it.

Even your source says there is little agreement.

1 Like

There is little agreement to what a continent is, but there is almost total agreement that there are seven continents and Australia is the smallest.

1 Like

I just showed a picture above that suggests that there are four, five and variations of six continents and there are sources for that.

1 Like

vast majority of people who know the word. Source? My common sense.

Again, I’ve shown proof that there is little agreement as to what are continents.

Every country teaches differently cause there is no agreement.

1 Like