Renewing ARC

My ARC expires 31 June. I got a message from immigration today telling me to renew. A week ago I sent an inquiry online asking if I could renew online during this covid scare. They said no and all immigration offices are open as normal.

My question is: If I go in the last week of May will they let me renew or tell me to wait until June begins? I know I can phone but there are not many English speakers there.

The office is quite far away and expensive in a taxi. So what do you think? Should I go next week or wait until June?

Or perhaps rock up on 31 June. :grin:

Edit - Seriously, as long as you apply before the end date it is OK, no hurry to go in with the present drama.

Right. But in a worst case scenario, it might be best to get it out of the way before things get horribly worse?

If I were you I’d do it now. I have no particular reason why, though.

That is my feeling too. But all of next week is still May. I heard you can only apply 30 days before expiry.

So what chance do I have if I go next week and ask to renew?

Did anyone ever renew earlier than within the 30 day pre expiry period? They might be more flexible right now? I would have thought that once you get a notification to renew you can go along there? But most of the renewal letter is in Chinese.

I’ve renewed ARC earlier than the 30 day expiration period, but it was in the case of my ARC expiring in August, and me leaving Taiwan for the summer holiday in June. In that case, I (well my employer, because they did it for me) showed my flight ticket showing that I’d be returning to Taiwan after the original expiration of the ARC. From my understanding, this was the only way to renew it early :frowning:

My ARC expires on June 31.It can be renewed for 6 months and I intend to go along to immigration tomorrow… However, I am going to the UK for a month on 12 June.

Can I ask them to give me the new card by 11 June? Or should I ask them to post it to my address? Then, when I return, they will see the card has been updated? By the way, where I am, they let you keep your old card rntil the new one is ready.

So what’s the best thing to do short of delaying my flight? Can they prepare the new card in a week and a half?

A bit complicated perhaps? I am not finally that worried about the ARC, but would like to renew if I can. I have a good job interview coming up and that would start in August. I also have 100000 in back tax to come in August and a valid ARC will give more leverage to find a way to get it. Do they close a bank account when the ARC expires? I don’t know.

I dont know why you didnt add to the thread you started a week or so back.

I suggest that you pay the NIA a visit soon, like tomorrow even, and see what you can do about getting a new card in the 10 days or so you have.

As to closing Bank Accounts, no, it doesnt get closed or locked on you.

I renewed my ARC “last week” and they said for me to pick it up in June 11.

Thanks. Yes, I should have added it. I hope there is still time.

There is also this.

They give you a receipt for the new card (which will also have a new number) when you apply and allow you to keep the old one, so the receipt might get you back in, but in any case, ask them, explain your situation etc. Good luck.

Does that mean my ARC actually expires on July 31 and I could renew it in the last month?

Probably not? It’s just a good will gesture?

I must admit I don’t like the idea of hanging around immigration right now due to the virus situation. Though Taoyuan seems not too bad.

It seems to mean that you have an extra month, yes, BUT, I suspect that if you depart Taiwan before then would complicate matters, and it would not be wise to assume so. Mask up, keep your distance and you should survive the trip into the NIA.

And, please let us know how you fared in case others have a similar situation.

Well, I went along today. They gave me the trouble of coming back tomorrow for something that could have been done todaay. They want printed copies of the flight tickets–and then they might be able to renew for the 11th.

Can I print some documents from a USB in immigration? I don’t have a printer and when you think about it, Taiwan is pretty thin on places where you can walk in and get dpcuments printed. There used to be internet cafes. Any suggestions?

Just about any convenience store.

1 Like

Yeah, take your USB and go to 7/11, Hi Life. You can print there.

Thanks. I was never sure when I saw people printing documents in a 7 11s if you could print directly from a USB. Now I know.

Learn something new evey day.

Just ask them for help if you need, though the 7-11 one has an English Menu.

If you dont print much at home its far cheaper than buying a printer, which itself is cheap, but the ink refills cost more than a basic printer does.

And don’t forget to take your USB out when done, I forgot that one day, was almost home when I remembered, went back and there it was, still plugged in.