Renewing Expired Taiwanese Passport with a Moved-Out Household Registration

Background:

• My wife was born in Taiwan in 1990.
  • She and her family eventually moved to the US when she was a teenager, where she has resided ever since.
  • She has her Taiwanese passport, but it expired about 20 years ago

We’re starting to think about moving back to Taiwan for a little bit and I think the first part of that is getting her Taiwanese passport renewed as I believe she would ultimately need to re-enter Taiwan on her Taiwanese passport and not her American one.

Since she was born in and lived in Taiwan for 14 years, she must have had a household registration then, but given that she hasn’t resided there for about 20 years, I think it must now be a moved-out registration (which I’m guessing basically means inactive?). So when she renews her passport, can she renew it as a national with household registration even if it’s a moved-out registration?

yes

1 Like

Thanks!

Anyone know what the required documents are to renew the passport?

A moved-out household registration just means she doesn’t have a Taiwan address. It doesn’t really affect anything, if she’s not in Taiwan.

Old (expired) passport. If she doesn’t have that, then she’ll probably need her Taiwan ID and perhaps even her birth certificate and parents’ ID.

2 Likes

Nice, we do have her expired passport!

2 Likes

Wait, one more question - to apply for a JFRV, we’d need a household registration certificate issued within 3 months.

So my wife would have to enter on her Taiwanese passport, get an address and update her household registration first and then I’d use that for the JFRV application?

Yes. So you would just enter Taiwan with her as a tourist before getting your JFRV. You won’t have to leave and reenter on it.

Need to enter on a visitor visa and not visa exempt.

3 Likes