Renewing multiple entry visa

My multiple 5 year entry visa expires next year and I wish to renew it. I read on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office that a copy of a ticket leaving Taiwan is required in order to apply for the visa. Is there anyway around this or do I have to buy my ticket and then renew my visa?

I’m leaving for the States in the fall. Is it easier to get a multiple entry visa in the States?

Thanks.

What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?

[quote=“Ace”]My multiple 5 year entry visa expires next year and I wish to renew it. I read on the website of the Foreign Affairs Office that a copy of a ticket leaving Taiwan is required in order to apply for the visa. Is there anyway around this or do I have to buy my ticket and then renew my visa?

I’m leaving for the States in the fall. Is it easier to get a multiple entry visa in the States?

Thanks.[/quote]

Ace, apply for your new visa when you go back to the States in the fall. That’s the only place that will give you a longer duration multi-entry visa.

Along with your application, you’ll need to send in a flight itinerary showing a flight out of Taiwan within the initial 60 days. However you don’t need to actually purchase any airline tickets to get an itinerary. Many online places will allow you to reserve a flight and they’ll email the itinerary to you. Just print this out and send it in with your application. If you don’t want to buy the tickets, do nothing and the hold on your reseveration will expire automaticallly.

[quote=“llary”]What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?

[/quote]

I’ve been working in Taiwan using work permit 51. Next fall I’m going back to the States for graduate school. If I come back to Taiwan during the holidays I won’t be able to since my visa expires in March. And I don’t want to enter Taiwan using a Taiwanese passport because I need to apply for departure everytime I leave Taiwan. Therefore I want to use my US passport to leave and enter Taiwan.

I remember in the past I could get a white colored multiple entry visa extended in Taiwan, but I don’t remember where to get it.

When I said white colored multiple entry visa i mean the “re-entry permit to republic to china” . Looking at my passport, I once got a 3 year visa.

Is it possible to apply for one of those in Taiwan?

Length of time aside, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs office (Ximen area) has always extended mine when needed without trouble. If they can’t do it, they should certainly be able to tell you who can.

OK, it sounds like you don’t actually have a multi-entry visitor visa but a regular resident visa. You’re not allowed to work on visitor visas. You will have another big sticker in your passport that is your resident visa, and you will (should?) also have an Alient Resident Certificate (ARC, the little card with your photo on).

Your visa doesn’t expire; your ARC and re-entry permit do.

You will get an ARC extension from the local police bureau as long as you are still working and have a valid work permit. If you can clarify that you do indeed have an ARC and resident visa then we can go from there.

[quote=“Ace”]When I said white colored multiple entry visa I mean the “re-entry permit to republic to China” . Looking at my passport, I once got a 3 year visa.

Is it possible to apply for one of those in Taiwan?[/quote]

OK, d’oh, I re-(re)-read this and figured out what you want to do. If you are going to be working after your current ARC expires, you still need to renew it or you will be staying and working illegally. MAKE SURE YOU EXTEND YOUR ARC OR LEAVE TAIWAN BEFORE YOUR CURRENT ARC EXPIRES. Who sorted all this out for you in the first instance? The white sticker is not a visa but a re-entry permit attached to your ARC.

If you want to come back briefly in the holidays, what will you be doing? If you intend to stay longer than 30 days then you should just apply for a regular visitor visa at your local TECRO back in the states.

[quote=“Ace”][quote=“llary”]What is your reason for needing an extension? What was the original purpose of the visa? What are you doing in Taiwan now? How many times have you entered Taiwan and for how long?

[/quote]

I’ve been working in Taiwan using work permit 51. Next fall I’m going back to the States for graduate school. If I come back to Taiwan during the holidays I won’t be able to since my visa expires in March. And I don’t want to enter Taiwan using a Taiwanese passport because I need to apply for departure everytime I leave Taiwan. Therefore I want to use my US passport to leave and enter Taiwan.

I remember in the past I could get a white colored multiple entry visa extended in Taiwan, but I don’t remember where to get it.[/quote]