Rental of Motorcycles in Taiwan

Hi all,

I am planning on going for a tour of Taiwan in the near future. I am planning on renting a motorcycle to tour around the island. I have an international licence that permits me to ride bikes below 400cc. As such, I was wondering about the price range for rental or does anyone know of any web site I can refer to? The best bike I prefer would be a Honda Hyper V-Tec Super 4.Thanks a million.

Hi and welcome!

We’d ALL like to be riding a V-TEC Super Four! Bikes over 150cc were only legalized last year, and both the bikes themselves and the taxation are expensive.

I don’t know exactly how much (I hope one of our other posters can help), but I imagine maybe 2000NT per day plus a hefty deposit. In addition, I don’t think that any shop would rent a 250cc-plus bike to you as you don’t have a Taiwanese heavy bike licence. You could try to get your intenational licence endorsed here but I think it could take a long time.
There is a discussion of this licence/rental issue and also some mentions of rental shops here;
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=1 … c&start=45

As far as I know your licence should be fine for a 250, such as the Honda Hornet that Poagao rented as described here;
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=8 … rnet#88256
He doesn’t quote the multi-day rate but says that the daylight rate (10am - 8pm) was 1,600NT.

It would be very much cheaper to rent a scooter or a sub-150cc motorcycle and you could still go to some really nice places on it.

For a general discussion of motorcycle touring in Taiwan look here:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=11794
and also check out my website here:
mcttw.tripod.com

Let us know how your plans - and your trip - go.

If you’re from of the countries ‘acceptable’ to your local license office you can take your international and national license along, they’ll fill out a form and staple it inside while you’re there. From what I remember it’s valid fo one year and I can’t remember being charged for it.
There’s a bike shop at the intersection of Zhong Jeng and Zhong Yang in Hsin Tien that rents out larger motorcycles. The selection seems to vary, but last time I was there I was offered a CBR600R for 2000 a day or 5000 from Friday to Monday. They had several Super 4’s on the forecourt , not sure if they will rent them or not. I turned down the CBR as it had plates on it from Hong Kong, complete with union jack, I’d be very concerned about the legality of riding around on that, I notice it’s since been given Taiwanese plates, but it says something about the legitimacy of their rentals…Rent at you own risk. As already mentioned a 125 or 150cc will get you anywhere you need to go, and if you don’t have the right gear it’ll be pretty chilly riding extended trips this time of year. You could always hire a car if you want to see the whole island, especially the cross island highways.

Hi again,

I was actually planning on a riding tour of Taiwan in February or March, spring time but looking at the amout of legalitiles involved, I am considering giving up the idea. It doesnt make sense for me to be able to ride a 400 cc bike in my country on the free way with so many cars around but I still have to take a driving test in Taiwan…arrgh…moreover, I will only be there for a tour so i wont be around for a long time…sigh…think I might have to try my luck in Australia or China…thanks for all your answers anyway…

Hi again,

I was actually planning on a riding tour of Taiwan in February or March, spring time but looking at the amout of legalitiles involved, I am considering giving up the idea. It doesnt make sense for me to be able to ride a 400 cc bike in my country on the free way with so many cars around but I still have to take a driving test in Taiwan…arrgh…moreover, I will only be there for a tour so i wont be around for a long time…sigh…think I might have to try my luck in Australia or China…thanks for all your answers anyway…

[quote=“kclee”]Hi again,

I was actually planning on a riding tour of Taiwan in February or March, spring time but looking at the amout of legalitiles involved, I am considering giving up the idea. It doesnt make sense for me to be able to ride a 400 cc bike in my country on the free way with so many cars around but I still have to take a driving test in Taiwan…arrgh…moreover, I will only be there for a tour so i wont be around for a long time…sigh…think I might have to try my luck in Australia or China…thanks for all your answers anyway…[/quote]
Seems a pity. There are lots of great things and places to see in Taiwan. Did you look at my website? That was just a few of them. I’m taking my mother on a motorcycle tour of northern Taiwan when she visits at Chinese new year. (So many people have asked me; ‘How can you do that to your mother?’ I suggested renting a car instead, but she told me ‘I’ve already bought the boots for motorcycling!’)

I can understand you being put off, but you can still have cheap fun on a 150, or more expensive fun on a 250, without so many licence hassles.

Still, Australia sounds good. Also, have you been to northern Thailand? I recently went on a 5-day biking tour there- my website has the details.