Renting an apartment (2024 edition)

After 3 years living abroad I am planing to go back to Taiwan.

I am aware things have changed and daily life has become more expensive, but I am quite surprised about the price for renting. A small modern 12-15 室內坪 1 or 2 bedroom place in Kaohsiung, Tainan and/or Taichung is, according to 591, at least 25k.

I know that renting in Taiwan was always “cheap” compare to buying, but it seems to me that the current renting level are a bit over the top, what do you think ?

And as I don’t have much 591 renting-experience, are those asking prices fix or is there room for 打折 (discount) ???

1 Like

That sounds about correct for New Taipei prices. Surely it should be cheaper in say Tainan.

There are plenty of cheaper places in Kaohsiung on 591, yes I think rent is a bit high here considering the oversupply of units, yes you can negotiate

Tainan has been getting pricey lately due to under supply, but Kaohsiung has the opposite problem. Don’t pay anything more than $20k/month for a one-bedroom in Kaohsiung.

Still the case, at least in Kaohsiung.

It never has been always cheaper compared to buying. There are some places where this is true, but my mortgage almost equals the market rental price. I’m not saying you must buy or rent, but it’s definitely best to look at what’s right for you.

Keep us posted on how things go. I’m not on the rental market now but I may be in the future, and I’m quite curious to see what you find.

Guy

1 Like