Repair laptop computer hinge (Photo attached)

The hinge on my laptop is falling apart. Anyone know where to get this repaired without having to have long waiting period? I have a friend coming over tonight to see if he can repair it. See photo attached to see the problem

You need to provide more details.

The hinge connecting the monitor to the keyboard broke off. My friend looked at it and he said most probably if I go to repair they will have to replace the whole monitor. Right now flipping down the monitor to close it is very difficult and I am afraid it will break

All I can say is go to Guanhua and see what they can do.

Unfortunately there is a lot of proprietary components in a laptop so the parts are going to be specific to each model, and if the laptop is somewhat old, it may no longer be made and have to be cannibalized from other laptops.

Guanhua is likely to have them.

I bought computer five years ago in Guang Hua area. I guess I should go back to where I purchased it?

It’s worth a try, but 5 year old system is more than likely considered end of life. Also depending on how it broke, the repair may be more expensive than what the system is worth.

What kind of laptop do you have? Model, make, etc…

Details are needed before I can give a thoughtful answer.

2 Likes

Exactly.

I have an Asus, and for some reason the right hand hinge is made of plastic, it gave up last spring. OP last has a similar situation, though it looks like the hinge just fell off?

These laptop hinges are designed to have an end of life around the 2 year mark. The assumption is that by then you will want to upgrade, and by upgrade they mean replace the entire laptop.

This is why they design them this way, saves cost.

It is an ASUS Vivo Book. DESKTOP-DG4IT4A
In the past laptop lasted about 10 years. Just disappointing to have to replace after 5 years. During COVID being at home more it did get used more often. Anyways details are above

Which model? It should be on the sticker underneath.

X542U

A local Taiwan friend who works in computer maintenance in Taiwan National Hospital recommended this for replacing the monitor. He would assist me. About 2400 NT to replace

https://swf.com.tw/?p=1410

https://shopee.tw/【台灣賣家】ASUS-華碩-X542U-A殼-A面-A蓋-天線-轉軸-C殼-C面-鍵盤-鐵架-二手-良品-中古-i.11773459.12498196797?sp_atk=c1177fb1-5778-48f2-86d8-111132c08c05&xptdk=c1177fb1-5778-48f2-86d8-111132c08c05

Hinges are $1000. No need to hack. I think ASUS could do it cheaper TBH.

Do you mean that ASUS would do it cheaper than me buying from that website and having my friend install it?

My friend said it would be very difficult for him to install new monitor. Need to find someone to do it or at very least replace the hinge. I would prefer not having to buy new computer at this time

A lot could go wrong if your friend isn’t comfortable or has experience doing this before. You may end up spending more by trying to fix it your self.

It’s possible. Find an ASUS Royal Club and ask. There is one at Shandao Temple Station

I could do it if left with me and for some extra money. I do laptop repairs at work when workloads are lower.

Marco. I sent you private chat message. Please note

1 Like