Repairing window screens and screen door

I need to repair the screens on my windows and sliding screen doors. Probably due to my poor Chinese, or bad Google translate, the local Home Box and 特力屋 were not helpful and the hardware stores did not have the screen rolls. Is there a proper translation? Is it possible to DIY this in TW? Is Amazon my only hope?

TIA

You can call this number : 0932-226-958 李国维
Iron Works in Taipei. He can repair window screen, iron door, glass door, etc.

1 Like

Thanks. Unfortunately I live in Hsinchu County.

I am hoping to do it myself. I used to do it annually back in the states. I just need a roll of screen and spline.

I really appreciate your reply, though. Thanks.

FWIW, sometimes a truck will come around saying “change glass” and “screens” in Mandarin and Taiwanese. Probably dirt cheap

Thanks. Are those the “ad trucks”?

What is the Mandarin for “screens”?

I don’t know. They wind around the lanes slowly saying “oa bo le… tang a mng… huan bo li…” and I forget the last bit in Mandarin. But “screen” is “sha chuang” in Mandarin so it’s got to be something with that. I’ve heard them a thousand times, but it’s not like they come around every day.

1 Like

Yeah, its like something you hear a million times when you are not paying attention, but once you start, you never hear it.

Around these parts they go around advertising whitening cream, noodles, and real estate.

Thanks. I’ll give it a listen.

You know what though? “tang a mng” is just window in Taiwanese. I’ve never used their services. Now that I think about it, I’m not really sure a) if they have anything to do with screens at all b) if I’ve been mistaken about what they do for years without really thinking about it c) WTF I’m even talking about.

2 Likes

Hahaha!

So, Amazon it is!

No no no. You know, even in Hsinchu they should have small hardware stores - not the big ones, teh small neighborhood ones. They have all you need. heck, even the 100 NTD stores carry the patches for the screens. But yes, you would need some Chinese.

Look for this:
五金

Usually there will be a lot of paints, tubes, and stuff strewn about.
Do not buy Amazon and spend a fortune in shipping when the same stuff is down your block at a couple of hundred NTDs away.

Here is how you do it and this store should have all you need

https://www.trplus.com.tw/p/000334153?kw=纱窗&pi=1

You can buy the screens at B&Q and other smaller hardware stores as well. Different colors as well. Sorry, don’t know the chinese for it, but I have done it before. I live in Beipu , and there is a store that will come to your house to fit it for a few $100. I don’t know where in Hsinchu county you are, but if you are interested, I can send you the store’s info.

The guy in the truck should come down your lane at least twice a week, and fixing screens and windows is exactly what he does.

If you somehow can’t get him, your little neighborhood hardware store, as Tia mentions, has all you need, BUT the laoban will happily come out and do the job for next to nothing. This is not only extra-convenient, it eliminates any potential problems that may arise when you get into it yourself and find that the frame edges don’t go together the way you’re used to and it’s impossible for you to get a snug fit, or once you get it apart you discover the fittings are rusted or rotted out, or a whole bunch of other problems Uncle Pro can deal with way easier than you.

Ordering this stuff from Amazon is like getting blue flip flops imported from Dubai.

2 Likes

The screens are called “紗窗” (Shāchuāng) in Chinese…I bet any Hardware Stores should carry them…Shopee also has them here

Indeed. We have 3 in our block and all have a resident repairman who can do any plumbing, electric or masonry challenge.

Wow. Thanks. Yeah, we have the 五金行, many in fact, but my Chinese is not all that great. So, it was all lost in the translation.

Anyway, armed with this new info, I will try again. Thanks everyone.

Do what i do: I take the broken item in question.