Reporting illegal schools/teachers to the authorities

So for all this thread is worth, with the OP arriving in January are we expecting a wave of deportations? Is anybody going to be running around trying to get rewards for reporting illegals teaching?

I think not.

[quote=“jkipp”][i][color=#0000FF]Mod’s note: Older thread here: [Ratting out other foreigners

When I was in Taichung in June I crossed two foreigners (one french, one older american) in a bar and we discussed about this kind of issues.
They mentioned they make about 50-150K Taiwan Dollar per months by reporting illegal kindergarten and teachers, pretty much bragging about it, showing photos of arrests and raids. They also mentioned reporting foreigners gets them faster money.
One of them used to be an illegal teacher and was kicked out by his illegal school, then turned against them after coming back legally. The american guy was pretty proud about it, seeing himself as a “bounty hunter” and he said in English speaking countries its normal that the citizens have to uphold the law (they even have citizen arrests and such). In Switzerland (where I’m from), you won’t see a penny for reporting someone.
I’m moving to Taiwan in January, its likely I’ll just report some schools and teachers I see to them and ask for 50%. Its easy money. Although I will be in Taipei.[/quote]

You can come catch me teaching English too. Wait first I better get a kindy gig so you’ll kow where to find me. :smiley:

I wonder if the OP would be soooo passionate about reporting illegal teachers if there was no financial reward.

I wonder if those kindy teachers would be so passionate about working illegally if there was no financial reward?

It’s about the money. It’s business, nothing personal, don’t you know that?

I wonder if those kindy teachers would be so passionate about working illegally if there was no financial reward?

It’s about the money. It’s business, nothing personal, don’t you know that?[/quote]

You mean we should get money for working? Damn…a novel concept. :bravo:

It’s about the money. It’s business, nothing personal, don’t you know that?[/quote]

You mean we should get money for working? Damn…a novel concept. :bravo:[/quote]

Well if someone is working and earning a living by reporting illegal teachers what’s the difference. Everyone needs an income. Some people here assume it’s only going to be foreigners doing this but I know some locals that would do it for the money. Thats why the government here has a reward scheeme to get the local citizenry to help in the effort to stamp out illegal employment that often abuses the illegal workers. They dont get health insurance coverage, paid holidays, get deductions of salary, workers compensation for accidents, no labour insurance.

The gov does not need to offer rewards. A waste of tax payers money. BTW I do pay tax. Are there not people employed by the gov to handle this?

As I have said, a 100 kindy teachers could be deported a day without breaking a sweat. However, this is political suicide for obvious reasons.
There is obviously no real will to do it. How many kindy teachers get deported a year.

I also do not like the “rat on each other” idea. Not good for society in general.

If they want to enforce the law, officials need to get off their corrupt asses and do so. Simple. Do they want to is the question?

I cannot imagine a less effective way to give people a reward for ratting others out. Giving a local the job of doing it is better.

Well I am a local so does that make you feel better? Jimipresley is a local, admin is a local, Bismarck is a local, there are many forumosans who are locals here. Even Sat TV Jnr is a local.

I’m going to walk down the local night market and rat out all the non-tax paying locals to the government and see take bets on which hospital I end up recovering in.
But as I stated out earlier, volounteering, or accepting a cash payment for doing a job, like ratting out fellow “foreigners,” is working and therefore requires a work permit or visa.
Or is this the “This is Taiwan, fuck the law unless it suits us” approach?

Maybe its not volunteering and its certainly not accepting a cash payment. Not illegal for anybody with an APRC or JFRV. I wish I could get a work permit or a visa, sure would be nice. Don’t you have a JFRV Superhans?

Maybe its not volunteering and its certainly not accepting a cash payment. Not illegal for anybody with an APRC or JFRV. I wish I could get a work permit or a visa, sure would be nice. Don’t you have a JFRV Superhans?[/quote]

:ohreally: I am sure the OP stated that you get paid for reporting illegal teachers. That was his reason for wanting to do it.

No. I could but I can’t be bothered to go through the hassle of acquiring one.

Yes you get paid I was just saying not cash in hand I thnk they pay to your bank account perhaps I don’t know.

Well we all have our own reasons for doing things. I had to fly back to Australia for physical fingerprinting to get my Police Record check when I applied for my marriage based ARC.
Yes it was a hassle and cost a lot of money but I was able to get all my docs notorized as well at the same time but I didnt have kids either to be away from. I think I was back in Oz for 10 days or so to get all my docs so it cane be inconvenient. For me getting legal asap was important to me at the time in 1989

It does sound like you may also have a problem based on the legal hassles you have had. Does it have anything to do with it?

No, funnily enough, it doesn’t. I think there are certain types of crime, like assault or robbery, which can ultimately lead to deportation and the prohibition of getting any kind of visa in the future, or within a certain time frame, but other things which are of a lower tier and which may not be criminal per-se, like traffic related problems or “helping at the scene of an accident” don’t warrant this kind of punishment. I think prosecutors discretion and his wife’s attitude on the day play a big part in how it can play put.
If I’d have been found guilty in that arson case, and I was first time round, then I’d have been jailed and kicked out and that would have affected any hope of getting certain visas in the future.
But then again, I have a couple of favours to call in at immigration. That’s the beauty of Taiwan if it’s working in your favour.

Mine basically comes down to the fact that for various reasons, some of which remain and some don’t, I never intend to stay here for that long. It’s no problem renewing an ARC - and mine are usually valid for 3 years, so I don’t really see the point. If I didn’t have an ARC, I’d just fly in and out.
Police checks take ages. History checks take ages. Different departments can’t co-operate with each other, and to be honest, getting a medical for an ARC is a pain enough for me.

You mean we should get money for working? Damn…a novel concept. :bravo:[/quote]

Well if someone is working and earning a living by reporting illegal teachers what’s the difference. Everyone needs an income. Some people here assume it’s only going to be foreigners doing this but I know some locals that would do it for the money. Thats why the government here has a reward scheeme to get the local citizenry to help in the effort to stamp out illegal employment that often abuses the illegal workers. They dont get health insurance coverage, paid holidays, get deductions of salary, workers compensation for accidents, no labour insurance.[/quote]

You are TOTALLY right. There is NO difference between making a living ethically or unethically. Damn straight, cash money!

(note, I did not say legally or illegally, ethics and law are very different things, on the Wan and elsewhere)

[quote=“Confuzius”]You are TOTALLY right. There is NO difference between making a living ethically or unethically. Damn straight, cash money!

(note, I did not say legally or illegally, ethics and law are very different things, on the Wan and elsewhere)[/quote]

Yep illegal workers are often paid in cash.

The reward scheme really focuses on the blue collar industry after the tragic accident on a highway project where 6 illegal undocumented workers got killed when scaffolding collapsed. taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003484258
After this the government changed the penalties for illegalling employing people to NT$750,000 and raised the rewards for reporting illegals to up to NT%50,000 I believe.

English teachers make up less than less than 2% of foreign workers in this country and of those who work illegally the numbers are so minute it’s not worth chasing up.
There are so few white collar expat workers in Taiwan they are not important in the scheme of things ( illegal employment ) The only place illegal kindy teachers rate a mention is on forumosa. :wink:

So you reported him for illegal teaching? That’s weird. Why didn’t you report him for assault?[/quote]

Was Al Capone convicted on racketeering, conspiracy, and distribution of moonshine? :ponder: