Reproducing publicity material in Taiwan - copyright law

Does anyone know the law in Taiwan as regards reproducing publicity photographs (specifically movie stills)? Is releasing these photos tantamount to allowing their use, or does one still need the express permission of the owner?

Many thanks in advance.

I will make the obvious comment and suggest –

It might be a good idea to write a letter to the relevant government department to inquire about this.

[quote=“Taffy”]Does anyone know the law in Taiwan as regards reproducing publicity photographs (specifically movie stills)? Is releasing these photos tantamount to allowing their use, or does one still need the express permission of the owner?

Many thanks in advance.[/quote]

Hyperbole aside I have no little clue about what laws regarding copyright exist or don’t exist in Taiwan. Most of this is fyi I suppose.

Here are the regulations from Sony Pictures :

[quote]FOR ADVERTISING, EDUCATIONAL, FEATURE FILM/DOCUMENTARIES, PERSONAL and PUBLISHING INQUIRES

Please carefully follow these detailed instructions that are provided for your assistance and to expedite your request.
All requests for material(s) must be submitted in writing on letterhead by fax or mail. Due to excessive volume, there can be no requests by email. There will be no exceptions.
Clearly state which type of project or program, (such as theatrical, documentary, advertising or publishing, etc.) in which you propose to include SPE materials, and a description of the project’s purpose.
Include the title(s) of the feature(s) you require, the talent depicted, the exact length of the material and how it is to be used.
Include what distribution rights are required, such as media (theatrical, television rights etc.), territory and length of term.
Include the name of an authorized individual or officer who will sign on behalf of your company, and the company name, if different than the project’s name.
Include your direct phone and fax numbers. If you are calling from outside the United States or Canada, provide the international access code for your country and city.
If you reside outside the Los Angeles area, include the name of your shipper and account number.
If you have any questions, please include them in your letter.

Certain additional information will be needed if your request falls within the following categories:
For Feature film use, please include a synopsis of the script and relevant script pages illustrating how the clip is to be used.
For Advertising use, please include a storyboard or mock-up of the advertisement.
For Publishing use, please include a synopsis of the text and the relevance of the material to it.

1. Quoted fees may vary according to use, which are subject to SPE’s review and approval of the request.

2. Physical elements or selections of footage cannot be pulled or reproduced/duplicated until a Licensing Agreement has been signed and returned along with any applicable fees. If the Agreement is not returned to SPE within 10 business days following receipt, the request will be considered as having been withdrawn and no longer in effect.

For SPE features, please address all correspondence to:

Margarita Diaz
Director, Film Clip Licensing
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Pictures Plaza, Suite 1016
10202 West Washington Blvd.
Culver City, California 90232

Fax # 310.244.1336
[/quote]

In my experience art or photographs appearing in a published book or catalog, as well as film stills, “video grabs,” and frame enlargements should be treated as previously published and/or copyrighted material.

Here is what imdb has to say on the issue:

[quote]I want to use your photos/trailers on my site/show/magazine. Can you give me permission?

All pictures and videos found on our site (including movie stills, headshots, photo galleries and trailers) are licensed to IMDb only and we are not permitted to sublicense them onwards or grant permission for other to use them, sorry. We are also unable to help with licensing questions that do not specifically involve the Internet Movie Database.

For photos in “Studio Stills” galleries, please contact the appropriate studio or production company. For photos in “Famous Frames,” “WireImage” or “MPTv.net” galleries, the providing agency is usually linked below the photo. If the link is there, clicking their name will direct you to a page with more information on the company to license the photo
[/quote]

Movie reviews MAY constitute fair use of copyrighted material but knowing what you are interested in using these for, grabbing low res. stills off the internet won’t necessarily make for beautiful reproductions in print. You should gain access to all the publicity material from the production companies directly. Then you will have available to you all kinds of high res. imagery.

Why not just send an email to a pr/marketing hack with one of the production companies and ask?

You highlighted the parts that refer to schools etc but I’m guessing Taffy wants to put screen shots in film reviews in Taiwanease ?

Maybe item 3 in article 65 is useful
3. The amount and substantiality of the portion exploited in relation to the work as a whole.

One screen grab out of a whole film is not substantial I would have thought. In other countries it is considered fair use for reviews. But it doesn’t explicitly say that, so I would say it’s best to ask. www.tipo.gov.tw is a good place to start, and the FVWP (The Taiwan version of the MPAA, I don’t have any realiable contact info for them). I’ve recently contacted both of those on import matters, but still awaiting a reply from both.

Also, movie companies used to hand out pictures for putting in reviews and hanging in the windows in cinemas. That would be just what you need if you can get them. There may be some central association in Taiwan for doing this.