Reputation / Guanxi

Yuck. It’s like guanxi all over again. I can see people coming to the site and thinking we’re playing a game and leaving. It’s more than a little off-putting. It’ll be like turning up two hours plus and joining in a Monopoly or Risk game.

I’ve probably damaged my reputation by posting this message.

What’s it based on? Post count?

Infidel…“Reputation: 4.5”

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Why, thank you.
I’m truly honoured!

This is a weird little feature, I must say. I, too, wonder what it’s based on.

And now it is guanxi!

I prefer “love meter”

I thought it was a percentage, until I looked at my reputation :sunglasses:

I think that the figures right now are based on post count. The little plus or minus symbols suggest that members will be able to add, or even subtract, from others’ “reputation” scores.

Personally, I’m not keen. It reminds me of high school cliques. I shan’t be using it. If I were to use it, I would simply add the maximum score possible to each and every member, since it is the contribution of everybody that makes the site what it is. Even posters who go through what might be termed “less-than-constructive” periods in their posting still have the potential to contribute a lot, and so I would still be giving the maximum possible score to them. But I shan’t be using it, so other posters will have to take my support and appreciation as a given.

Perhaps I take things too seriously, though. I understand that this particular bell and/or whistle may well be an enjoyable thing for some people to use.

[quote=“joesax”]I think that the figures right now are based on post count. The little plus or minus symbols suggest that members will be able to add, or even subtract, from others’ “reputation” scores.

Personally, I’m not keen. It reminds me of high school cliques. I shan’t be using it. If I were to use it, I would simply add the maximum score possible to each and every member, since it is the contribution of everybody that makes the site what it is. Even posters who go through what might be termed “less-than-constructive” periods in their posting still have the potential to contribute a lot, and so I would still be giving the maximum possible score to them. But I shan’t be using it, so other posters will have to take my support and appreciation as a given.

Perhaps I take things too seriously, though. I understand that this particular bell and/or whistle may well be an enjoyable thing for some people to use.[/quote]

It’s candy if it does that. Like a “recommend this post” on yahoo.

It is nice to know that people appreciate your posts, but I would prefer NOT having a subtraction button. What’s the point of that?

Or, we can give people the clap when they are good. :bravo:

Suddenly it’s completely gone.

THANKS man!

I had 188! :raspberry:

Hey, somebody’s just sullied my reputation!
Ouch! That cuts deep.

Kinda creepy. Was it ever really there at all?

No, it’s not completely gone. We’re still evaluating* this thing - and it’s buggy (voting doesn’t work)

The levels are based on a combination of number of posts, length of stay on the forums and votes from fellow members. If you are interested in how it works, you can read this: granik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16

*Remember: we’re trying out a few new things, and not everything is going to work

No, it’s not completely gone. We’re still evaluating* this thing - and it’s buggy (voting doesn’t work)

The levels are based on a combination of number of posts, length of stay on the forums and votes from fellow members. If you are interested in how it works, you can read this: granik.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16

*Remember: we’re trying out a few new things, and not everything is going to work[/quote]

I thought Goose Egg was just having a Turkish.

*Remember: we’re trying out a few new things, and not everything is going to work[/quote]

I thought Goose Egg was just having a Turkish.[/quote]What’s a “Turkish”?

Rhyming slang for laugh from, I guess, Turkish bath.

Yeah, Cockney rhyming slang: Turkish bath (barf)=laugh.

I agree witht the comment about it being good if you can positively affect someone’s rep, but no need to negatively affect it. That would just invite abuse.