Responsibility of tenant?

So recently my personal washing machine (each room have their own washing machine) started to malfunc ( cycle stops and starts, unresponsive buttons). Seems like last renter didn’t do a good job at keeping it clean and functional (the filter was clogged with ungodly amount and kinds of debris

The malfunc starts few weeks ago… but I’m afraid to tell my landlord cus u know, if he held me accountable it will break my bank. So i would like to ask… if it’s broken when i use it is it my responsibility? I can still wash with it but only on good days. Sometimes i need to turn it on off again for it to start working.

Please give me recommendation on this… this is my first time renting.

Technically it’s the landlord’s responsibility if it came with the lease. What happened sounds like wear and tear.

Technically it’s the landlord’s problem, but the most likely outcome is that they’ll just shrug and tell you if it’s broke then it’s broke. They can’t demand that you fix it unless it’s clear that you damaged it, but the bottom line is that you’ll end up dealing with it unless you’re prepared to deal with a lot of foot-dragging.

1 Like

I’d report it anyways, if it flat out won’t work they should fix it.

Is the landlord and not all landlord are bad, so maybe they send someone to fix it.

talked to the landlord… he say if its non functional anymore he will change it… and if the problem still persist he will call for servicemen… thx guys!

2 Likes

its been few day since the landlord just bought new washing machine for me, all good!

1 Like