Restrictions on receiving mask shipments from abroad?

Any experiences receiving boxes of masks by mail from family abroad?
I hear in China they confiscate them.
Also, will they charge customs if they’re not labeled as goods bought online?

Export is not allowed.
Import is allowed following same rules as always.

2 Likes

I remember reading somewhere there was a restriction of 1000 masks per shipment allowed.

I can’t verify this. Just scuttlebutt.

1 Like

I heard the same number

3 Likes

You would think that they would welcome someone sending a few big boxes, or a passenger turning up at Taoyuan with a suitcase full even. I am returning in 18 days, and plan on any empty space in my bag being filled with masks…that’s if I can find them here in OZ, they are not on every pharmacy shelf.

I hope my limited experience can help.

I haven’t had any shipped by family, but have bought online. Since none of then were labelled as online sales, and were shipped by individuals, I assume more similarities than differences.

1. Labelling has included: healthcare products, hygiene products, textile. (none of which was my choice).

2. Import charges still apply if stated value is over 3,000 NTD.

3. I have received shipments from USPS, FedEx, DHL, and other international snail mail sources. FedEx and DHL usually required brokering when imported, which is simply done through an APP. Do far, no Chinese interference in terms of “lost” packages.

4. None of the shipments were inspected (i.e., opened and then resealed by officials) at any point.

5. I’ve imported up to 250 masks (five boxes) without any problem. So a reasonable sized shipment shouldn’t be issue.

**caveat about online orders, or shipments from family if they are not familiar with masks Well, in the case of 250 masks, actually they were low filtration dusks masks (advertised as surgical masks), but I got a full refund and get to keep them since we can’t export masks. Same issue happened another time. So, not sure what I’ll end up doing with them. **

Apart from that, N95 (FFP2) and N99 (FFP3) purchased online were authentic but inflated by at least five times normal price.

I am not a hoarder or reseller, but am worried about how long this virus will be around, and kind of “prepping” for the 3/2 semester start and planned conference trip to HK in June.

5 Likes

Thank you for the detailed info, AhDohGah.
Some follow up questions:
Was your purchase recent? From which region did you order them?
Are import charges for masks higher than others items (I thought it was 2,000 NTD, at least for stuff like supplements)?

1. All purchases of masks are within the past month (ordered on Feb 5 or later).

Those that have arrived (as of Feb 14):

A. California (USPS)
B. UK (DHL)
C. Israel (Israel Post)
D. Poland (local “priority”)

Yet to be received: California (USPS), North Carolina (USPS), Russia (local), Lithuania (local).

1. Order price + shipping + import tax (in NTD, approx)

A. 3,000 + 1,100 + 0 (unmarked)
B. 2,900 + 1,000 + 0 (marked “FFP3 Mask”)
C. 6,700 + 0 + 0 (unmarked)
D. 1,500 + 0 + 0 (unmarked)

Of the other four packages in transit, only one of them indicates any import charges:

E. California (eBay Global Shipping Program – USPS)
E. 3,600 + 500 + 900

Any other relevant questions on my orders are welcome. Still waiting on four more shipments.

1 Like

You spent nearly $20,000 on masks!?

… wow.
:runaway:

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Thank you for the insight! It’s good to know that masks are still available in many places. Will try to get some from abroad myself, soon.

1 Like

I remember hearing the rationing of masks here will be lifted at the end of February. Global production of masks has been ramped up. Even other industries switched gears to help make masks.

I’d wait to buy.
Prices will fall.
Buying from these people only encourages price gouging.

1 Like

True. I bought assuming some surgical masks might not meet the standards, but I’m protected by eBay and can report unethical sellers and receive a full refund (happened twice). This may discourage those without genuine product. I also believe the demand will continue and these price gougers may remain the only fast source. Even if TW made 10 million masks a day, the shelves would likely be bare.

My family sent me a box of surgical masks last week via DHL. Got it in two days, no problem.

They were restricted from sending me rubbing alcohol and OTC medicine, though. Hope this helps.

My family sent me 7 boxes of surgical masks trough post office. Arrived in 7 days from Europe, no one opend package.

2 Likes

Do you guys know if all “type IIR” masks are basically on the same level as the masks you can buy here?

Just got some from Japan.

1 Like

Me too. And the carbon layer inside prevents odor. Really like them. Only wear them in public transport, though.

And here I am buying masks in Europe for my brother in law who lives in Japan. :wink: Where did you guys still get masks in Japan?

3 Likes