Retiring in Taiwan

Hello everyone! I’m new to the forum. My wife and I are in our 50s and we are thinking about possibly retiring in Taiwan in a few years time.

My wife was born in Taiwan and moved to New York as a child. Despite her being a US citizen I was told if she didn’t renounce her Taiwan citizenship then she is still considered a Taiwan citizen. Does anyone know if that is in fact the case? If so, how difficult would it be for me to obtain residency in Taiwan through her?

My wife has relatives in Taipei (Beitou, Neihu) and many in Hsin Chu. But moving from New York I would guess Taipei would be more suitable for us, at least in the beginning.

I guess my question has more to do with the cost of living in Taiwan. Since we will be retiring a little earlier I wanted to be sure we budget well. Healthcare in the US is crazy expensive. Can we fairly easily obtain health insurance in Taiwan if we don’t work?

From speaking with a few of her relatives I was told including rent, a budget of US$2,500-3,000 would be more than sufficient. Then when I ask friends in Taiwan they said we would need more like US$4,000. That would be cutting it close for us, at least until social security kicks in.

Our life here in NY is quite simple. The only thing we do that would be considered excessive is eat out a lot (we work long hours). Pre-covid we would eat out maybe twice a week and order take out maybe another two times a week. For entertainment we usually go biking, for long walks or hiking.

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice.

1 Like

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Retiring in Taiwan