Returning to Taiwan soon, can't wait to leave the USA

Jack, can you quote a verse of my “stream-of-consciousness” writing as seen here on this thread?

And Jack, while you’re at it, can you answer me this -are you a Christian? Or Protestant? I have a strong feeling that those who are still arguing on this thread are regular church goers, which is why they are posting here. Posting for Jesus.

Regarding your original post below. It seems you are hanging around a bunch of Rednecks. Move to Manhatten or downtown San Francisco and hundreds of other bastions of liberalism, where there are not as many people like you describe. Maybe the University where you teach is also full of ignorant people. Maybe you should try to get a job at a better college. In the USA these days almost everyone goes to college, that means the stupid ignorant people as well as the more educated worldly types. Choose your school carefully and choose the city you live in carefully too. Honestly, it would drive most people crazy to teach a bunch of dumbasses in some crap college. What were you thinking when you took that job?! Change schools!

[quote=“Alazaskan12”]I am finishing up my last semester in an MA program here in the States, a program in which I benefited supremely: free tuition, free housing, free meal plan, decent stipend -all of which wraps up in about 8 weeks, but I am feeling, more and more as each day passes, disgust at this country, its people, its culture. I was raised in Buffalo, did my BA in NYC, lived there for 7 years, fell in love/hate with Taiwan, got married there, and am now about to return. It couldn’t come sooner.

What I’m about to say is surely nothing new. But, perhaps because I was often preoccupied with one thing or another, I either blocked these elements out or was having too good a time to understand them. Not this time around.

What I notice now is a country deeply religious in Christianity -be it Protestants or Catholics or Lutherans or what have you- who ALL support the War in Iraq to the fullest. To the best of my knowledge, one of the pillars of this country was “separation of church and state.” However, beginning with home life, Americans meld them. Parents who are Protestant (semi-serious ones) pressure/force their children to 1. vote Republican 2. buy Ford (American at the very least), 3. support ANY and All military actions by the USA and BUY INTO WHATEVER BILL O’REILLY has to say about it. I’ve met 10 year old kids, many, in fact, who pledged their support for Mr. O’Reilly, the Christian Church, Jesus Christ, the 2nd Coming, Heaven, the Holy Spirit, AND:

that Darwin’s theory of Evolution has found its equivilent in “Al Gore’s” Global Warming". They’ve told me -children and parents standing side by side- that Darwin’s theory is as equally idiotic as Gore’s.

They said all this in euphoric rapture. I’ve seen it all over Alaska, NYC, and upstate NY. It’s scary.

The USA is becoming (or, has been in the making) a very, very frightening place of neo-conservative, blind-believers who have no qualms about brainwashing their children to “tow the line”. I actually hate being here now. These people are inescapable; they are everywhere.

Americans are ignorant, wasteful, and ignorant. I am a Freshman composition teacher. For the past 3 semesters, for our research paper (worth 40% of the grade), the topic was: Jihad.

Give a background of the foundation of Islam, a backrgrounder on the prophet Mohammed, how Islam spread, what Jihad means, and where it stands today. Each time, no more than 3 -3 MAX- out of a class of 25, had ever heard of the word Jihad. No more than 10 -MAX- had ever heard of Mohammed.

It’s an ignorant bunch growing up here; their parents are far worse, and the generation about to replace them is worse still.

Bad things in store for the States, that’s my opinion.

For those of you considering coming back, think again. The USA is a country that has totally lost its direction. The War in Iraq is in every way representative -right down to the latest IED explosion- of the collective soul of America today.[/quote]

lol what’s that supposed to mean

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Upstate NY, eh?

Is this person from Ithaca by any chance?
That might explain quite a bit.[/quote]

Aether -
Quite a bit more than this post from the OP.

Just the type of reasoning ability the island needs teaching its children, eh?

And since you asked, Ithaca, N.Y. is widely known for being a leftist wacko city. Sort of the Bezerkely of the East.

My girlfriend went to both Cornell (ithaca) and Berkeley (berkeley of course). And she does have some strange ideas . Like how she should have herself cloned so she can run for (and win by whatever means necessary) all the worlds major governments top leadership position , so that she can make the world a better place.

OH and I get to run one of the junior countries.

hehe

Gotta love the berkeley-ites and ithaca-ites :laughing: :laughing:

I do like the idea of a clone of her though so when one is travelling or on the rag??

Tainan Cowgirl,

Never ever said I was teaching kids. Never have, never will.

The job I landed in Taiwan kills what I was offered in the States.

If some people think what I said was overstated, it may be in some circles, but I promise you that people I described exist -and that I met them- and that they are in no way “weirdos” or loners.

Op is defintiely a nutter.

I normally don’t do this, but I am feeling fucked up with some of you. The OP was never attacking anyone or anything in particular. Each time when someone starts a treat including US ppolitis, religion or the War, we find ourselves with some heated discussions trying to minimalize, ignore or challenge the OP’s message.
Sorry to say, but the US is not longer HUGE. China is.
The Op was probably indeed surrounded by a certain group of people giving him the desire to come back to Taiwan.
The same feeling I had when I was in Europe a few months ago.
I am not aiming at all of you, but some need to grow up still. If freedom of speech is not granted when the US is the topic, han where are we heading? Bush will be out, that is a fact. There is still hope for the US. And who dares to say from all of you that it wasn’t so bad with him a nr1? Or is this opening a new debate?

[quote=“ceevee369”]I normally don’t do this, but I am feeling fucked up with some of you. The OP was never attacking anyone or anything in particular. Each time when someone starts a treat including US ppolitis, religion or the War, we find ourselves with some heated discussions trying to minimalize, ignore or challenge the OP’s message.

[quote]Sorry to say, but the US is not longer HUGE. China is. [/quote]The Op was probably indeed surrounded by a certain group of people giving him the desire to come back to Taiwan.
I am not aiming at all of you, but some need to grow up still. If freedom of speech is not granted when the US is the topic, han where are we heading? Bush will be out, that is a fact. There is still hope for the US. And who dares to say from all of you that it wasn’t so bad with him a nr1? Or is this opening a new debate?[/quote]

I don’t see anyone being censored on this post unless the mods are censoring people. Of course, there are going to be heated discussions when you make bold or ignorant statements about certain things that have to do with USA. I would hope Bush is out he will have done his 2 terms.

As far as the US is no longer huge china is, whatever, the same type of talk was going on when Japan was in its economic boom in the 80’s. Sorry to say but it will be a long time before China Dwarfs the USA. Just watch how the US markets affect foriegn markets.

China needs to get their shit straightened out in order funtion properly as a market, economic power, etc. If you don’t understand you need to read up on the Chinese markets. I also don’t see china producing tons of innovative products. If they develop their technologies and research that is only one slice of the pie. I say give it 30 years. At that point they may be bigger than the USA in the economic department.

Oh and if your German, don’t even get started on the Iraqi war. Given your country’s still recent turbulent history I don’t think you should be talking about the USA and the war.

[quote=“ceevee369”]I normally don’t do this, but I am feeling fucked up with some of you. The OP was never attacking anyone or anything in particular. Each time when someone starts a treat including US ppolitis, religion or the War, we find ourselves with some heated discussions trying to minimalize, ignore or challenge the OP’s message.
Sorry to say, but the US is not longer HUGE. China is.
The Op was probably indeed surrounded by a certain group of people giving him the desire to come back to Taiwan.
I am not aiming at all of you, but some need to grow up still. If freedom of speech is not granted when the US is the topic, han where are we heading? Bush will be out, that is a fact. There is still hope for the US. And who dares to say from all of you that it wasn’t so bad with him a nr1? Or is this opening a new debate?[/quote]

This is hard to reply to because I don’t know who the “some of you” includes. I really only attacked his position that his experience speaks for all of America. If I remember correctly. It’s been a while since I followed this thread. I’ll go back and re-look if people want me to.

Matt

The warlike past of his native land from (I’m guessing) 20 years before he was born disqualifies him from talking about war? :ponder:

Oh and by the way:

Flag of Germany

Flag of Belgium

You’re welcome.

The warlike past of his native land from (I’m guessing) 20 years before he was born disqualifies him from talking about war? :ponder:

Oh and by the way:

Flag of Germany

Flag of Belgium

You’re welcome.[/quote]

And for those rednecks with lesser educations, Belgium is a country, even if you can cross it in 3 hours. See, this is what I mean. Land of the great and Glory. Some of you , and no, not you Puppet, really really can not accept any criticism on your country related topics. The French call it Chauvinism, guess in the US it is called patriotism, but written with a CAPITAL Hill :slight_smile:
Keep on movin’ there is nothing to see here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gosh, is it the Typhoon pushing me to be aggressive? Sorry folks.

I like these ‘stream-of-consciousness’ rambles.

Did the OP ever make it to Taiwan?

Oh and by the way:

Flag of Germany

Flag of Belgium

You’re welcome.[/quote]

And for those rednecks with lesser educations, Belgium is a country, even if you can cross it in 3 hours. See, this is what I mean. Land of the great and Glory. Some of you , and no, not you Puppet, really really can not accept any criticism on your country related topics. The French call it Chauvinism, guess in the US it is called patriotism, but written with a CAPITAL Hill :slight_smile:
Keep on movin’ there is nothing to see here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gosh, is it the Typhoon pushing me to be aggressive? Sorry folks.[/quote]

No shit, that is why I siad if… I just assumed you were German because it sounds like you are. I have heard the same asinine talk come from numerous Germans.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I like these ‘stream-of-consciousness’ rambles.

Did the OP ever make it to Taiwan?[/quote]

TC, I got a question for you. A simple one. :offtopic:

Could you tell me 1 , only 1 thing bad from your country? Something you do not agree on. Something which needs change to make USA better.
:ponder:

Just wondering cause I do not remember finding 1 post where you did not defended anything written on the US.

Djk unstable, Can I count you in for this group of US patriots who can not accept any criticism nore tone and manner?
Wake up dude, I only refered how Bush acked and made my point. If you wanna belong to the US minority still standing behind your president, be my guest. Anyway, I am out of here. The Americans I know mostly want to have the last word anyway, regardless if they are right or wrong. Cheers.

[quote=“ceevee369”]Djk unstable, Can I count you in for this group of US patriots who can not accept any criticism nore tone and manner?
Wake up dude, I only refered how Bush acked and made my point. If you wanna belong to the US minority still standing behind your president, be my guest. Anyway, I am out of here. The Americans I know mostly want to have the last word anyway, regardless if they are right or wrong. Cheers.[/quote]

No your assumption is wrong. I don’t support Bush, I never voted for him, I have disagreed with the war since the start. I do believe that their intelligence was absolutley bad and Bush and his cronies decided to go on a rampage without cooperating and working with other UN nations like they should have. I generally vote as a democrat unless a republican candidate supports policies that I agree with. Sorry if you felt insulted by any of my comments. I still think the OP’s posts are a very narrow slanted view of the USA. Cheers.

[quote=“ceevee369”]TC, I got a question for you. A simple one. :offtopic:
Could you tell me 1 , only 1 thing bad from your country? Something you do not agree on. Something which needs change to make USA better.
:ponder: [/quote]CeeVee369 -Thats not a hard question. There are many things I would like to see improved in the USA.
Illegal immigration laws should be enforced. They are only now beginning to be moved on. This problem has taken a terrible toll on the infrastructure of the USA. President Bush has been sadly lacking in his ability/desire to move on this. He has been ,made a mockery of by the Mexicos Vincente Fox who has used the US as a revenue generator for Mexico while doing nothing to improve the lot of his people.

It may surprise you to learn that I am not the big Bush fan that you and others seem to wish for. I have had complaints about his method of conducting the current WOT(War on Terror) from day 1.
I have also consistently complained of his ‘micro-management’ of the War in Iraq and Afghanistan. Too many rules of engagement for my liking. War is a serious business best left to professionals…not politicians.

I also have serious complaints abut the laxity that has allowed literally 1,000’s of terrorists and terrorist supporting organizations to conduct their business in the USA. This is being acted upon now, but it is long overdue.

Want more?
Taxes. The USA is, in general, way over taxing at the State & Federal level. In particularly for businesses. I was a partner in a growing business in California. As we grew, our state tax burden became extremely oppressive. We finally made the decision to move the business to a more business friendly state…based solely on the tax situation.
This is a common theme through out the USA.

More?
The terrible picture of illegal immigration and its effect on safety in the USA. Look at the % of crimes, prison population and arrest rate for crime in the US. You will see a chart that looks like a rocket going straight up showing the crime rate for illegals. This is directly a result of irresponsible legislators pandering to “liberal” social manipulators.

Hows that for an answer?

[quote=“ceevee369”]Just wondering cause I do not remember finding 1 post where you did not defended anything written on the US.[/quote]My responses are fairly predictable. Yes, I defend the USA as an entity, but its silly to think I am not aware of its faults and blemishes. I just think that those who are so regular in bashing the USA for not being ‘perfect’ in all that we say or do, are also hypocritical in refusing to acknowledge that the alternatives t our actions are usually much worse.
I hope this clarifies things a bit. Like I posted once before…Go ahead, take your shots. We’re a big country…we can take it.

And, I have always had a good word about Belgium…never once have I referred to you as a potatoe person…:wink:

TC , don’t forget the health care in the US. IT soooo sucks big time.