Returning to Taiwan

I lived and worked in Taiwan for 2 years. The first year I worked in Taiwan was 10 years ago and I left in 2011. I worked for two different employers in two different jurisdictions, one year for a different employer and the second for a different employer. Both of these jobs were EFL teaching positions in public schools.
Now I am going to return to Taiwan. I went to visit there in January 2012 and haven’t been back ever since. I am going to work there for a local public school to teach in an EFL or Bilingual education program.
From the time I wrote this, I have 4 days before I leave Canada for Taiwan. I am not scared because I’ve been to Taiwan before. But I just hope that this time when I get there I will be able to secure a descent apartment to live, and this apartment has to have a kitchen were I can cook my own food. As for transportation, I hope I can get a place where I can walk 10 minutes, or perhaps make use of the frequent bus service on the major road where the school is located. (I may even put off buying a 50cc motorbike although I have my IDL).
I also know a few people who live in Taiwan. I have been connected with them on social media since the past 8 years. I hope and I pray that my adjustment will be very good, and that I will do my best on my new job.

1 Like

Good luck with your journey. There are some good folks on this forum and I’m certain that they chime in with suggestions.

You’ll land on your feet!!!

1 Like

Nice post—though I’d advise you to beware renting “a descent apartment to live” as it will almost certainly make you downwardly mobile!

If you’re looking for more connections or feedback, let us know which city you’re heading toward.

One general comment I can provide is this: unlike before, Taiwan and Canada now have a formalized tax agreement, so there is (one hopes) less uncertainly about paying taxes for someone in your situation.

Guy

2 Likes

Best of luck . I would probably rent temporarily at first . Get your bearings and see where is the best location and value places are when you are here . Better accommodation seems to be snapped up fast , so be prepared .

1 Like

It says in my contract that I have to pay about 16 or 18% of my salary for income tax for the first 6 months, and after 6 months it will reduce to 5%.

As for finding a descent place to live, when I was in Taiwan back in 2010 I have
looked at apartments and I have seen some apartments that looked not so clean to
just disgusting. I was fortunate to have found a place that was descent because it
was very clean to a point that I only had to kill 2 cockroaches when I was there.
But to be mobile, well I will be living in a city where I could still catch a bus to get
to work if I am close by the bus stops with frequent service. Plus my school is not too
far from a train station. But again, I hope I can avoid buying a 50 cc Motorbike.

Are you hoping to find a place on a hill or in a valley? Cause catching a bus from a hill might be easier if you don’t have to go against gravity.

4 Likes

If you are arriving in Taiwan in September, and if you have not stepped foot there for several years (as you wrote in your initial post), then there’s no way you can avoid flat rate taxation for 2019. I have thankfully not had to deal with this situation since the year of my arrival, but I believe it should be around 18%. Hence the large anticipated deduction from your pay.

This punitive rate will not affect you in 2020—providing of course you reside in Taiwan for at least 183 days in that calendar year. That’s the key!

Guy

1 Like

I am going to be on flat land in an urban community.

Welcome back

1 Like

We’re needling you on your spelling error, not questioning your choice of urban topography. : D

Guy

1 Like

welcome back, @Kingdomparadise

plenty of other threads here talking about taxes taken out for first X months.

what part of Taiwan you coming back to?

Thank You.

I won’t reveal my location in Taiwan.

So, you don’t want any advice?

Which, of course, is fine. I wish you the best of luck in your new venture.

4 Likes

Yes I will need advice.
But to reveal my location, I will have to give
you a PM.

That’s fair enough. However, it is a bit of a stab in the dark that a poster you PM happens to be where you plan to live.

3 Likes

location would make a big difference on apartments. finding anywhere decent and affordable in taipei near a mrt station… fuggedaboudit!

1 Like

There are lots of reasons why folks join forumosa. Based on your responses to some well-meaning posters, it seems you envision this forum as as place to post your personal diary. You can take this approach, but it does make me wonder why you chose to come here. Maybe I have misunderstood you. But if I am not off base, I believe you could simplify things by just keeping a notepad to collect your entries.

Guy

4 Likes

Still cackling over the repeated use of descent, thanks for the lulz and good luck.

1 Like

Just wait until he files that indescent exposure suit.

1 Like

Anyway know where I can find a descent coffee in this town ?

Somebody told me to go to the Downhill Cafe and Bar but I never heard of it.

4 Likes