Reviewing The Situation - Bush is an imbecile

Just wanted to reflect on the human cost of this Republican War…

Monday: 138 Iraqis, 3 GIs Killed; 209 Iraqis Wounded
Tuesday: 72 Iraqis Killed; 62 Iraqis, 3 GIs, 2 Britons Wounded
Wednesday: 135 Iraqis, 6 GIs Killed; 90 Iraqis Wounded
Thursday: 132 Iraqis, 1 GI Killed; 82 Iraqis Wounded
Friday: 26 Iraqis Killed, 7 Wounded
Saturday: 55 Iraqis, 1 GI Killed; 108 Iraqis Wounded
Sunday: 99 Iraqis, 2 GIs Killed; 157 Iraqis Injured
antiwar.com/updates/

There have been 3,396 coalition deaths – 3,140 Americans, two Australians, 132 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, six Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, one Hungarian, 32 Italians, one Kazakh, three Latvian, 18 Poles, two Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians – in the war in Iraq as of February 19, 2007, according to a CNN count. The list below is the names of the soldiers, Marines, airmen, sailors and Coast Guardsmen whose deaths have been reported by their country’s governments. The list also includes seven employees of the U.S. Defense Department. At least 23,530 U.S. troops have been wounded in action, according to the Pentagon. cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/f … 07.02.html

Total American Deaths
Since war began (3/19/03): 3144
Since “Mission Accomplished” (5/1/03) 3005
Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03): 2683
Since Handover (6/29/04): 2285
Since Election (1/31/05): 1707
American Wounded
Official Total: 23530
Estimated Total: 100000

[/url]

… and for what? … to keep the oil flowing? to remove Sadam? to introduce western democracy? or was it finish a job left unfinished by a cowboy’s father?

Bush is hardly an imbicile. His IQ is actually fairly high. (I don’t remember his score, but it’s at rotten.com.) All these deaths don’t take away from this–a few years ago he probably felt the prospect of winning Iraq was worth it. Maybe he still does.

What is he after? Oil would actually be a pretty good reason to go to war, considering how dependent the U.S. economy is on it. It’s hard to know whether this cause has been helped or hindered by the war. Israel is another likely reason–they like the idea of getting rid of regional military powers, and have enough influence to persuade Bush to play along, if he doesn’t support them on his own initiative.

More generally, Bush and his comrades support the extension of U.S. power and influence all over the world. They seem a bit surprised that the war hasn’t gone they way the expected. They had in mind some kind of Middle Eastern Marshall Plan, I think.

What is often overlooked is the injured.

Legs blown off? Shattered spine? Brain dead on life support? Lifetime of mental trauma? Yup, ‘just’ injured, so count yourself lucky.

Laura spoon feeds Georgie Boy?

I have not met one single Yank in the last two weeks that had anything positive to say about Bush. Not a single one. Not even off-duty military. The pro-Bush stance seems to be more prevalent amongst the isolated American expatriate diaspora fervently clinging to an ideal of what America once was but so obviously isn’t anymore. How sad.

And all I hear is complaints about bloody everything. It seems that we “whinging Poms” have handed over the baton of discontent to our cousins who at least over here are running with it.

BroonAmerica

Broon Ale:

I would watch myself if I were you. A little Birdie told me that someone had kidnapped your dog. I am not saying that I have any inside knowledge of said act or even know where your doggie is but let’s just say that in the grand scheme of things it would go better for you if you started espousing Bushian rightwing Republican policies. It might curry favor or rather favour with those who perpetrated the deed. You know how ruthless THEY can be…

You have been Warned

And have a nice vacation…

Love Fred