Rice Krispie Treats

OK, I know these are THE most simple thing to make, right?

Well, I’ve tried twice now and failed both times… I have NO idea what I’m doing wrong.

I put the bowl in the simmering water.
I melt the butter in it.
Then I add chocolate, and melt that too.
Then I add marshmallows, and wait until they melt.
I get this glorious sticky goop before they melt completely, but then they melt completely and merge with the chocolate into this crystallised mud.
I desperately try to mix in the rice krispies, and instead of getting these sticky, yummy treats, I get crumbly lumps of yumness.

Tastes divine, but I want a sticky, crunchy snack, not a sweet crumble!!

I’m guessing the problem is with the method, but does anybody know where I’m going wrong? Any help would be much appreciated :notworthy:

Uhh, I don’t know, but I’ve never heard of these made with chocolate. Just marshmallow.

I know this is super late… but I reckon it’s probably to do with the melting of the chocolate? I’ve had problems with this too. I think you might need to melt it at a lower temperature (even turn the heat off) to stop it crystallising. And don’t drop any water in there!

From AllRecipes:
You can keep the water at a simmer while the chocolate melts, or you can turn the heat off entirely. For small amounts of chocolate, it is appropriate to turn off all heat: steam can introduce moisture to the chocolate, causing it to seize up or curdle. In addition, some chocolate has a very high cocoa butter content, which if heated too quickly will cause the chocolate to break and crystallize.

Also I love rice krispie treats too! Therefore you need to share with me if this works :sunglasses:

I’ve made tons of rice krispie treats in my day, but never with chocolate mixed in. Nevertheless, some ideas:
Try melting the marshmallows first, then adding the chocolate, maybe in the form of very small bits - like shaved or small chips. Small pieces should be able to melt just from the heat of the marshmallows.
It may be that by melting the chocolate first, you’re keeping it on the heat too long/getting it too hot.

Or melt them separately, then combine.

Or just throw in chocolate chips without trying to melt them.

I always used to melt chocolate in the microwave, don’t know if you have one here, but it’s a heck of a lot easier than the water bath.

Now you’ve got me hungry :lick:

chocolate seizes when it comes into contact with liquids over and under a very specific magical ratio. when the marshmallows melt they become liquid and prob offended the chocolate. you can add more liquid like cream and dissolve but you will end up with a terribly sweet sauce that wont harden. i suggest making normal rice krispies and pouring melted chocolate ontop after pressing into the pan or stir in choc chips like someone else suggest

OR

try this recipe which uses cocoa powder

epicurious.com/recipes/food/ … ies-350895

ive never even seen rice krispies in taiwan… do they go for $500NT a box?

OP, where did you get your recipe? Mind posting it here? It sounds to me like a recipe using cocoa powder or choc. chips would work better, as bck says.

True that. Chocolate is a very tempermental ingredient when brought into contact with others who are not his friend. Wouldn’t be the butter, must be the marshmellows…

Edit: Thinking about it, what would happen if you added a couple teaspoons of corn syrup to the mix?

Wow, I had no idea of any of this!!

My recipe… sort of… I think I checked it up online. I don’t remember ratios though. It went something like this:

some butter
a bunch of marshmallows
some chocolate
a bunch of rice krispies

I had a small bowl, so I wasn’t trying to make a whole heap. I melted the butter, added the chocolate, when the chocolate was melted i added the marshmallows, then when they were melted tried to add the rice krispies - but the marshmallows just kind of dissolved into the chocolate and it went bad from there!

I think the problem might have been in the order - maybe it should be butter, marshmallows, rice krispies, chocolate?

Where can I buy Rice Krispies in Taipei???

I have also had a ton of trouble finding this. I actually brought back a box when I went to America. I have tried Jason’s, the DIY stores, Welcome, etc. I’ve never seen plain ones, though you can find the chocolate crispy rice cereal with the monkey on it pretty easily.

Does anyone know if these can be ordered online? I tried that, too.

Can I suggest using Coco Crisp (chocolate rice krispies) and no actual chocolate? Maybe not as delicious, but much easier - and even local grocery stores and Carrefour carry that cereal.

Also, depending on the brand of chocolate, you may get very different results. I don’t know much, but each brand of chocolate has its own ingredients.

People worry too much about how to make “crispy Treats”
First, Rice Crispys are hard to find and when you do, they are too damn expensive. Try Cheerios or other local breakfast cereals that are mostly air. They all work.
Next, get some marshmallows. If you want the big fluffy white ones, Costco is about your only choice. Remember, they freeze well so overbuy if you want these often. In Wellcome and numerous other stores (RT MArt) you will find the small marshmallows in a rainbow of colors.

Pan of hot water and a smaller pan inside like a double boiler. Melt down the marshmallows in the hot water double boiler. Add a pat of butter, a sprinlke of salt and some scotch.( hehehehe)
Stir until it starts to get stiff.
Pour and spread it in a pan and let cool.
I don’t have measurements so just go for it. It’s good but the rainbow marshmallows look weird.
PS. I was kidding about the scotch.

Biggest mistake is not adding enough butter. If so, you end up with a brick.

[quote=“thirdstring”]Can I suggest using Coco Crisp (chocolate rice krispies) and no actual chocolate? Maybe not as delicious, but much easier - and even local grocery stores and Carrefour carry that cereal.

Also, depending on the brand of chocolate, you may get very different results. I don’t know much, but each brand of chocolate has its own ingredients.[/quote]

I have considered that, but for presentation purposes, some white ones look better with some toppings.

[quote=“2Enigma”]People worry too much about how to make “crispy Treats”
First, Rice Crispys are hard to find and when you do, they are too damn expensive. Try Cheerios or other local breakfast cereals that are mostly air. They all work.
Next, get some marshmallows. If you want the big fluffy white ones, Costco is about your only choice. Remember, they freeze well so overbuy if you want these often. In Wellcome and numerous other stores (RT MArt) you will find the small marshmallows in a rainbow of colors.

Pan of hot water and a smaller pan inside like a double boiler. Melt down the marshmallows in the hot water double boiler. Add a pat of butter, a sprinlke of salt and some scotch.( hehehehe)
Stir until it starts to get stiff.
Pour and spread it in a pan and let cool.
I don’t have measurements so just go for it. It’s good but the rainbow marshmallows look weird.
PS. I was kidding about the scotch.

Biggest mistake is not adding enough butter. If so, you end up with a brick.[/quote]

Costco is really far away for me and it’s such a cluster #@&%, so I hate going in there. I saw a recipe for rice crispies with cornflakes, but I just can’t imagine that working as well as the original.