Richart - The first almost/kinda/marginally/minuscularly foreigner friendly bank

You should have received a second automated e-mail from Taishin (in Chinese) asking you to verify your e-mail address. We were both approved on Friday IIRC, and I got the e-mail on Saturday. Maybe check your spam folder if you didn’t get it.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 100x slower than opening an account in a branch, but it’s online and foreigner friendly!

1 Like

Thanks!
I checked and found the email!

I guess now it’s just do as @TaipeiGuy2000 said…

2 Likes

I have no clue why so many issues now, when I opened my it took 20 mins to apply online, then received the next day the first “false” rejection notice, called Amy, she fixed it, then very same approved. Went to taishin to verify my ID, 10 mins tops, then all merry. (Haven’t transacted yet though, just keeping my money there)

Recieved my tax withholding statement for 38 ntd in the mail. :laughing:
The letter probably cost them more than that.

5 Likes

Anyone know if we can transfer more than 200k TWD per month? I have 1 million transfer per month in my others bank and 200k per day. This seems too low and a problem to have money in there.

3 Likes

Same here, however, there is another issue: On the withholding statement (as far as I understand it using Google translate), it says that I am not a resident of Taiwan, but a resident of Germany :unamused: :dotted_line_face:

1 Like

Yes, because according to Taiwan… every country strives to follow American law.

The very clever Taiwanese believe that country of nationality equates to tax residency… Heck, even Taiwans tax code doesn’t explicitly mean that ARC/APRC holders have to stay 183 days a year. There are other tests for tax residency (such as being “domiciled” and having “health insurance” that are simply ignored by even the NBT in Taiwan)

4 Likes

I have the same f*cking problem. Not just from Richart but from Taishin Life insurance too.

Good bye Taiwan. See you in 30 years so I can leach off the NHI without having contributed much to it because you don’t want to treat me as if I live here. I reallyyyy wanted to make Taiwan work long term. Taiwan just made it too hard

2 Likes

Hey, at least they didn’t categorize me as a US citizen. Progress :partying_face:

I am just wondering now whether I should try to resolve this or just let it be…

It’s not worth the time. Makes no difference in the long run other than making Taiwan look stupid and the bank incompetent

1 Like

I’ve received about 5 withholding statements so far from various financial institutions and jobs. Not a single one is correct.

Wtf is wrong with this place.

@comfy123 heard my complaints the other day. I’m really pissed off with how my time in Taiwan is ending.

I think they took my answer as not having household registration in Taiwan as proof that I am not a resident…

Did you fill out a CRS form? It sounds like they listed you as “declined to provide”

You just motivated me to check mine from CTBC…and it’s the same. It also has us as being here less than 183 days in the year, right? Wait, is that why our withholding rate is 20%, or is that standard anyway?

Why are Taiwanese banks so annoying? I definitely told them I was only tax resident in Taiwan when I opened my account, so they’ve apparently changed my self-declaration after the fact. Looks like I need to go to the branch again to complain about this.

2 Likes

There should be ZZ in the tax jurisdiction code. This is how it looks when you are declared as only having tax residency in Taiwan.

3 Likes

I just answered the question on the phone.

Household registration? - No, but I have a registered address on my ARC card where I live.
Married? - No.
Local employer / local business? - No
Health insurance? - Yes.
Days in Taiwan? - 2.5 years

1 Like

Taiwanese: “This German foreigner has been here a while. It must suck to be filing 2 tax returns every year! and paying taxes in both Germany and TW”

Mine looks the same as @qwert_zuiop except with AU instead of DE…for obvious reasons haha
I also answered the questions over the phone.
Household registration? - No, but I am listed on my husband’s household registration
Business owner? - No
Health insurance? - Yes
Days in Taiwan? - 3+ years

I also didn’t fill out a CRS form but answered the questions. I don’t know how to check my other bank accounts withholding statements, they’ve never mailed them to me.

I was tricked into filling out a false CRS form with Taishin life. I gave them a mouthful and sent off a correctly completed CRS form, they advised me this was processed. This was a lie as my tax withholding statements are incorrect.

4 Likes

I think you signed up before this, but Richart now makes you go through a multistep process declaring repeatedly you’re not tax resident elsewhere, as I detailed in a previous post.

Will be interesting to see whether they just ignore this and write the applicant’s home country in anyway…

3 Likes