RIP Visa-Free Runners (2012-2020)

1. The gold card option is too strict and I would be unlikely to get it, unless you mean by applying I would be buying time?

2. I don’t know any company that would issue me an invitation.

3. Can’t I just get a job offer and apply for an ARC whilst I am here?

Yes. Once you have your work permit, you can apply for an ARC at NIA if your current visitor visa is an extendable one. Otherwise, you have to apply for an extendable visitor visa with your work permit at BOCA.

Yikes we are in the US and wish we could escape to Taiwan. Hopefully where he’s going is doing ok!

1 Like

Are you allowed to apply for a visitors visa if it would take you passed the 180 days (adding the time he’s been here already onto the 60 days for the visitors visa?
When I asked a couple of months ago at BOCA they said it was possible to do it (after about 50 days stay), but how many days before the 180 do you have to apply for a work permit/ARC?

an automatic 30 day extension even for those past 180 days:
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141457/142068/232841/

4 Likes

The extendable visitor visa they grant you has the same expiry date as your original one… so basically they “cancel” your original visitor visa and give you a new one with the same expiry date but without the “non-extendable…etc” clause. You can apply for an ARC with the extendable visitor visa.

If you have everything in order, the work permit application should take about 8-12 business days, depending on how you submit your application (shorter processing time if you submit electronically). Once you have your work permit, you can apply for an extendable visitor visa. The process takes 5-8 business days. Once you have your visa, you can head over to NIA to apply for an ARC.

1 Like

Sounds like their offices have been inundated with people.

You da MVP

Actually, the BOCA site is much clearer about this: the total stay still cannot exceed 180 days: https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5731-be781-2.html

The MOFA site made it seem like people could get 180+30

I believe they are different. One is for people who haven’t stayed over 180 days (BOCA) and the other is for people who have legally stayed over 180 days (NIA).

I am a little confused.
If you arrived on March 20th 2020, you wouldn’t have stayed over 180 days. How does the NIA statement apply? And how can one legally stay over 180 days with a visa-exempt etc., with the rule you are forbidden to stay over 180 days? Is this the people who applied to stay longer due to say non flights to home country etc.? Are they concerned said people will fly and and return to Taiwan?

I don’t believe it has anything to do with visa-exempt. How about an ARC holder who has stayed in Taiwan for a year but his/her ARC is about to expire and he/she doesn’t have a new job (and therefore can’t renew his/her ARC)?

If you met one of four (5?) criteria, you were allowed a 30 day extension over the 180 days.

No available flight
Family here
Sickness
Special circumstance

And there might have been one more…

The government has scrapped the 180 day ceiling for those on visa-free status:

https://www.moi.gov.tw/COVID-19/news_detail.aspx?sn=18348

2 Likes

I am still as confused as ever! So when my 180 days is up on 30th August and the pandemic is still raging outside, do I get an extension or not?

Well looks to me like you can, I booked my flight now so to late for me I lose over 50% of flight cost that was as expensive single as a return.
I’m pissed off now I booked my flight before 16 July.

Problem is the 183 day rule? stay 183 days or more with permission one automatically becomes a taxable resident?

Are you working? Im not asked about any taxes. When or how do they ask?

No I don’t work, long time tourist.
But the 183 day rule is intriguing.
Some one on here will know more.

The 183 day rule is about being a taxable resident. Technically, if you do long-term visa running you will be in Taiwan for over 183 days in a year but I’m not sure why they were obsessed with that number for one single stay. Regardless its irrelevant now.

It is 90 days or over for taxes now I think.