RIP Visa-Free Runners (2012-2020)

I’m not sure if this has already been linked, but the information about income taxes and 90/183 days can be found here:

just walked past a white begpacker on Ximen who claims to be stuck in Taipeu due to CoVID smh

1 Like

This is confusing, as other sources, such as https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5731-be781-2.html as previously posted, and the MOFA news release are still saying the 180 day limit remains for visa-exempt.

Both the BOCA and MOI articles were dated 17th July, so the MOI one doesn’t seem to be a “new” update on the situation.

1 Like

Rather than theoreticizing, just call them.

I spoke with them and they told me as mentioned earlier that this is only for people already legally allowed to stay more than 180 days - e.g. if you already applied for a special extension.

In other words, without existing permission to stay more than 180 days, this new extension does not apply to you.

Not sure what @EnglishTsai is referring to in the link posted, as that doesn’t seem to mention visa exempt status.

I just spoke to the immigration department service centre.
It seems this extension DOES apply to visa-exempt people, even if it takes the total stay over 180 days.

I’d suggest that anyone in this situation should check for themselves, in case the situations are different. The person I spoke to was helpful. They look up your passport number and then tell you what date your permission to stay is extended to (e.g. I was told that my total stay now can be up to 210 days - including the 90 days visa-exempt at the beginning).

4 Likes

Yes, this is the best option.

How did you get in contact with this person?

If you mean the numbers here, which one did you call?: https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141386/127061/127076/

I called my local immigration and they told me explicitly that visa exemptions are still limited to 180 days and anything above that requires in-person application for a special extension, and unless you already had that (or some other valid permission to stay over 180 days), you couldn’t stay more than 180 days even with this.

Are you still here on visa-exempt or did you change it to a visitor visa at some point?

1 Like

Yes, from that page I used the Taipei City service centre number.
I’m still on visa-exempt plus the “free” extensions. I haven’t changed to a proper visa.
They told me I don’t need to go to the office or do anything else.

Sounds like a shambles going on in the relevant department. One hand does this as the other does that.

Was he selling bracelets?

Not even. just sitting outside with a cup and a sign.

Is there any official statement in English on the latest news?
Has anyone paid a visit to any of the offices?

Yes there is now. I posted on the other thread, but here is the link with the updated info…

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/141457/142068/232841/

NIA announces that, foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before March 21, 2020, have stayed over 180 days in Taiwan, and are still legally staying as of July 17, will be granted an automatic 30-day extension, thus no longer required to apply at NIA service stations in person.
I assume still legally staying as of July 17 is for those that have not overstayed?

Yes. Explicitly states this in the Q&A

So… if:

• I entered Taiwan the 12th of March
  • Haven’t left since
  • Was in Taiwan prior the 12th of March (went to Thailand for one day on that day)

My 180 days straight end the 8th of September.

With that new announcement, I can stay until the 8th of October?

Yes, assuming you have been legally here until July 17 based on the previous visa extensions

1 Like

If you’re not completely sure, you can call the NIA or visit in person. They’ll ask for your passport number, and can tell you the official duration of your stay, and the day you’re currently expected to leave.

Based on your information, October 8th should be correct (210 days), but it never hurts to double check.

So in theory now that they have got over the hump of the 180 days limit, they could keep extending for the foreseeable future. If the pandemic is still raging - likely, or gotten worse - even more likely, why would they require you to leave?

It will not be forever. But since the authorities now have gotten over the magic 180 day hurdle, the next extensions should presumably be easier for them to give