Road Bike Accessories

[quote=“urodacus”]Your ears are another and often more useful set of eyes.

Please don’t listen to music (speakers or headphones are the same), as it cuts you off from your surroundings and is generally much more dangerous.

Light to actually see where you’re going can help. But there is a lot of light out in Taipei. I used to ride lights off over YMS sometimes (from Szjir or however the hell you spell it) and it was fabulous on a moonlit night. but no traffic made that much more fun. In the city lights help you to be seen, but less than you’d expect unless the street is really dark.[/quote]

What do you guys think about when riding then? I personally need some background music of some sort to free my mind, or I won’t be able to concentrate on the task at hand.

I really don’t see the big issue with listening to music while riding. Music doesn’t drone me out into some other world and make me less aware of my surroundings, since I don’t turn on the volume to the point where I literally can’t hear anything. I just prefer to have some background music going and not only have the sound of my gear changes to listen to every once in awhile.

I think about nothing. It’s a moving meditation.

Oh, sometimes i think about things, but mostly my head just goes blank on thoughts and instead i’m just concentrating on riding. hearing the tires on the road, chain rubbing (bad: move the shifter a bit), seat squeaking (annoying, must retighten), or the rush of air through the helmet (which is my speed indicator these days).

music might be fine for a slow ride, but for me, once you’re interested in actually riding for riding’s sake, then music is not needed.

1 Like

Sometimes Bobby says it best:

[quote=“ranlee”]
What do you guys think about when riding then? [/quote]

“Oh my god where did that one get the driver license…seriously, there are 3 crossing lines within 50 meters and you cross the road in the middle of nowhere while I’m riding?..old lady, why don’t you check both left and right before making a u turn with your scooter, do you think cars only come from one direction?..IT’S RED YOU BLOODY ##%#,IT’S NOT ALMOST GREEN…&#%^## birds stop harassing me…oh please stop raining…why is the road so full of potholes, don’t they EVER do maintenance?..WHY IS NO ONE GIVING WAY TO ANYONE AT THIS CROSSROADS, #&%#*(#% TAIWANESE CROSSROADS, HOW DO THEY WORK…etc etc”

That’s usually within the first 5 minutes of my ride.

If I ride in the city: regular pedals, no earphones
If I ride for long periods: clipless pedals + earphone (only 1)

[quote=“Ibis2k12”][quote=“ranlee”]
What do you guys think about when riding then? [/quote]

“Oh my god where did that one get the driver license…seriously, there are 3 crossing lines within 50 meters and you cross the road in the middle of nowhere while I’m riding?..old lady, why don’t you check both left and right before making a u turn with your scooter, do you think cars only come from one direction?..IT’S RED YOU BLOODY ##%#,IT’S NOT ALMOST GREEN…&#%^## birds stop harassing me…oh please stop raining…why is the road so full of potholes, don’t they EVER do maintenance?..WHY IS NO ONE GIVING WAY TO ANYONE AT THIS CROSSROADS, #&%#*(#% TAIWANESE CROSSROADS, HOW DO THEY WORK…etc etc”

That’s usually within the first 5 minutes of my ride.

If I ride in the city: regular pedals, no earphones
If I ride for long periods: clipless pedals + earphone (only 1)[/quote]

Hahaha, sorry I got a great laugh from that.

Sometimes that’s me in the car. I haven’t ran into such problems while on a bike just yet. I know I will though.

I definitely started a thread within this thread asking about what you guys think about when riding.

Look for me on the defy3 on the Riverside Park next week, I’ll be the 外國人 that looks local, but blasting music through my phone speakers. Cheers! :smiley: :smiley:

I take a lot of pleasure in my own thoughts and I like natural sounds. So, I like to ride out of Taipei and get into the mountains expeditiously. Listen to the wind, the tires on the road, my breathing and even heartbeat. Very often I have a song in my head and I might enjoy the freedom to sing without having fruit thrown in my direction.

I can’t sing very well. :frowning:

I find my thinking is very clear after exercise. During the exercise itself I’m usually in a kind of zone where I’m not consciously directing my thoughts. I usually ride the same route and I’ve done it so many times now that I ride it on autopilot. Two and a half to three hours by myself.

Some people I know seem terrified of their own thoughts and will do almost anything to avoid solitude and tranquility. Quick! Turn on the television! Or, Where is my smartphone! My girlfriend’s family will drive through the countryside watching television inside the car, volume blaring, with all the windows up. One of these days I hope they go Romney on my ass and tie me to the roof. That would be a great relief.

1 Like

I rarely listen to music (through headphones) when riding because I get too involved with memories or singing …
and being male and less able to multi-task, has led me to do some stupid riding.

Riding time means podcasting or audiobook time for me.
This is less distracting for me.
I can still hear my surroundings much better than when I listen to music.
This is my meditation and education for the week.

I use an Apple Shuffle and make a podcast playlist for my ride.
I press play and off I go.
I have gone on twelve-hour journeys and only used 50% of the battery.

That also may explain why I prefer to ride solo and have few bike-riding friends

I love music, and I love to ride (both bike and motorbike). To listen to music is a very silly movement because you are isolating yourself a bit more. The riding environment is ALWAYS challenging, in other countries too, but here it is even MORE. You need to be reading the road, vehicles movements and intentions, and of course sounds around you. I have had lots of close calls because of tiredness and lack of attention (looking at something I liked or found interesting, instead of paying attention to the traffic or signals or small junctions).

Music is very good for running in the track. That’s all.

[quote=“jesus80”]I love music, and I love to ride (both bike and motorbike). To listen to music is a very silly movement because you are isolating yourself a bit more. The riding environment is ALWAYS challenging, in other countries too, but here it is even MORE. You need to be reading the road, vehicles movements and intentions, and of course sounds around you. I have had lots of close calls because of tiredness and lack of attention (looking at something I liked or found interesting, instead of paying attention to the traffic or signals or small junctions).

Music is very good for running in the track. That’s all.[/quote]

I think it all comes down to awareness of your surroundings. I’m getting more people very against listening to music while riding and some prefer to listen to music.

I can’t say 100% of my focus will be on my surroundings when I ride, but similar to my commutes to work via bus/mrt, I still like to listen to music and have the sound of the city as background. It keeps my mind clearer and I prefer it not to wander too much onto something I’m terrified of, like commitment :smiley: :smiley:

I will definitely start with no music but once I get a good feel of my bike, music will go on.

On music and riding: I listen to music (through headphones) on weekday riverside path rides. There are no motorized vehicles to worry about, and I know the route well. But in the evenings, when more bikes come out, or on weekends, nope - too much to pay attention to. And I will almost never listen to music if I’m riding on roads that cars also use.

This thread is making my happy. My old bike mostly gave up the ghost about a year and a half ago, and finally this summer vacation it looks like I’ve got enough spare cash to buy a good new one.

On music and cycling: the kind of thing talked about here might be worth consideration. aftershokz.co.uk/Bone-Conduc … s/1817.htm)

I mostly cycle without music. I have listened to music on occasion, while cycling, although I do tend to feel conflicted about it - and I only ever did so on the riverside paths at a point when they had become boringly familiar. It took me a couple of days to realise this was a clear sign that it was time for me to venture further afield (in Sanxia direction, as it turns out, as well as towards and past Danshui).

Considering the argument concerning whether music or sound distracts you: I would argue it depends on the rider and their attitude. Just the other day I had a far from untypical experience on a Xindian path - a woman on a bicycle in a big floppy hat executing a very sudden and unexpected u-turn in front of me just at the point where I was preparing to overtake her. She rolled her front wheel directly into my path without so much as glancing behind her and screamed with fright when she saw me racing towards her. Naturally I braked in time, because I always keep a wary eye out, or at least try to.

She wasn’t listening to music, and neither was I. I never assume the people around me know what they’re doing, and I always keep my hands on the brakes. Even so, maybe I could have cycled slightly slower towards her. I don’t know. There’s a part of my brain that forgets people do things, without thinking, that appear outwardly suicidal, and they seem to do them with more frequency here than they do back where I come from.

That’s not to mention the innumerable other people wandering into my path, or walking their dogs on leashes that extend across the whole path. A few listen to music, most don’t. I’m inclined to believe an experienced and wary cyclist listening to music is far less a danger than somebody’s grandparent randomly swerving across the road on a rusty old piece of junk. Or, as once happened to me, and which I detailed elsewhere, suddenly spitting to the side and back without bothering to check if anyone else is there.

I would say that when I’m in the city, or on any kind of road, I do feel the need to have my absolute full attention on my surroundings. On the riversides isn’t so bad, assuming you’re not being an idiot.

I wouldn’t mind trying those bone conduction things, mind. There are times when you want to think while cycling, but there are others when you just want to drown out the noise in your head.

[quote=“garygibson”]On music and cycling: the kind of thing talked about here might be worth consideration. aftershokz.co.uk/Bone-Conduc … s/1817.htm)

I mostly cycle without music. I have listened to music on occasion, while cycling, although I do tend to feel conflicted about it - and I only ever did so on the riverside paths at a point when they had become boringly familiar. It took me a couple of days to realise this was a clear sign that it was time for me to venture further afield (in Sanxia direction, as it turns out, as well as towards and past Danshui).

Considering the argument concerning whether music or sound distracts you: I would argue it depends on the rider and their attitude. Just the other day I had a far from untypical experience on a Xindian path - a woman on a bicycle in a big floppy hat executing a very sudden and unexpected u-turn in front of me just at the point where I was preparing to overtake her. She rolled her front wheel directly into my path without so much as glancing behind her and screamed with fright when she saw me racing towards her. Naturally I braked in time, because I always keep a wary eye out, or at least try to.

She wasn’t listening to music, and neither was I. I never assume the people around me know what they’re doing, and I always keep my hands on the brakes. Even so, maybe I could have cycled slightly slower towards her. I don’t know. There’s a part of my brain that forgets people do things, without thinking, that appear outwardly suicidal, and they seem to do them with more frequency here than they do back where I come from.

That’s not to mention the innumerable other people wandering into my path, or walking their dogs on leashes that extend across the whole path. A few listen to music, most don’t. I’m inclined to believe an experienced and wary cyclist listening to music is far less a danger than somebody’s grandparent randomly swerving across the road on a rusty old piece of junk. Or, as once happened to me, and which I detailed elsewhere, suddenly spitting to the side and back without bothering to check if anyone else is there.

I would say that when I’m in the city, or on any kind of road, I do feel the need to have my absolute full attention on my surroundings. On the riversides isn’t so bad, assuming you’re not being an idiot.

I wouldn’t mind trying those bone conduction things, mind. There are times when you want to think while cycling, but there are others when you just want to drown out the noise in your head.[/quote]

I haven’t had the old lady problem yet, but I’m sure i will.

Other than that, I agree, sometimes when I’m on a ubike, I just feel the need to drown out background noises of the city and just ride with headphones on.

I never have music loud enough where I can’t hear city noises though.

So I’m looking into compression sleeves (both arms/legs) does anyone wear them while cycling? (or any other sport?)

Also, anyone know of Brusco cycling apparel? I think it’s German and guessing straight from their prices, it seems like an okay brand. Not too high end, not too low end.

I may not buy cycling pants/jacket from the get go, but any suggestions on whether to buy Giant or other brands? How much are “good” pants?

Compression Gear = 2XU, for me they make the best stuff. I don’t use compression gear for cycling though.

For cycling apparel, just like the bike itself, it depends on the budget.
If you have a fat stack of $$$ then Assos is the best you can get.
ALE’ apgcycling.com/en/ale-team is a new line of products from an Italian company that has been in the market for ages and they have a distributor in Taiwan. Same for Castelli and Giordana.
Atunas and Exustar make good stuff as well, and most people that I know in Taiwan tend to use Exustar because it’s very cheap here compared to Europe.
Altura and Northwave area great but harder to find in Taiwan, I usually order their stuff online from Wiggle.
On the lower side of the spectrum there’s the stuff from Decathlon, which is NOT bad at all but you can easily tell the difference between the cheaper pants from Deca and a more expensive kit from other companies.
If you make 20/30kms rides then Decathlon will be good enough for you, if you plan to ride for 80/90/100kms or more spend a bit of extra money on pants.

A cycling jersey is comfortable but it’s not as important as a good pair of shorts. As long as you don’t wear a cotton shirt you’re good to go, but a good cycling shirt/jacket that matches the color of your bike and keeps you nice and dry will make you feel better about riding.

Just for the sake of mentioning alternatives, and in case you’re not so much into the road cyclist look, keep in mind there are alternatives although they, admittedly, tend to be less than cheap: google Swrve and Vulpine for good examples. Websites like alwaysriding.co.uk are also worth checking out. I’d mention Rapha, but their stuff costs really silly money. But sometimes these companies - who produce technical clothing for cyclists who prefer not to look sporty - have sales. There’s a flash sale on at vulpine.cc just now that might be worth checking out, and their stuff, I can testify, is very, very good.

Thanks for your input guys. I’m gunna start off with 20-30km rides and hopefully make my way up to 100km by the end of the summer. So I know shorts may be necessary in the future, but for now, my running shorts will probably do the trick. Only thing I have against them is that they are puke green and won’t match the bike I will buy :unamused:

Do a lot of you guys buy apparel from home and ship it here to Taiwan?

I have to bump this thread real quick and ask everyone about helmets.

I’m looking at the Giant Blade for 1,380NT, however, I think it’s a little on the low end for helmets. I want to spend around 1,800-2,400NT for a helmet. However, the Giant website does not have any in that price range.

Advice was given to me by a pro rider and he said, buy something that looks good, comfortable, and the most important is, a helmet that you will like to wear.

Any suggestions on brand names and where to buy them? I myself only know of Giant and Giro.

Giro
Bell
Kask
Lazer
Decathlon
Mavic
Louis Garneau

But as the pro suggested, go for something cheap that matches the bike and the colors you commonly wear. Expensive helmets should be considered only by pro riders, time trials and such. Giro is a really good brand!

There’s also Bern, who recently started making bike-specific helmets, specifically the Bern Allston, which I bought not too long ago. There’s actually quite a few companies out there, although a huge number of the more interesting - to me, anyway - helmets are aimed at urban/utility and mountain cyclists. Nutcase helmets are a not untypical example of such. Obviously, YMMV.

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]Giro
Bell
Kask
Lazer
Decathlon
Mavic
Louis Garneau

But as the pro suggested, go for something cheap that matches the bike and the colors you commonly wear. Expensive helmets should be considered only by pro riders, time trials and such. Giro is a really good brand![/quote]

[quote=“Ibis2k12”]Giro
Bell
Kask
Lazer
Decathlon
Mavic
Louis Garneau

But as the pro suggested, go for something cheap that matches the bike and the colors you commonly wear. Expensive helmets should be considered only by pro riders, time trials and such. Giro is a really good brand![/quote]

When you mean cheap, do you mean <3000NTD?

I don’t want to go too skimpy on a helmet though, it could save my life!

Looks like I might go with Giro. Just have to try on the helmet first to make sure it’s a good fit and comfortable.