Road trip advice (scooter) - Taipei > Yushan trailhead > Sun Moon Lake > Taroko > Kenting > Taipei

Hello all

So I know this has been talked about here but I’m hoping to get some advice on this particular route. I’m taking 10/10 - 10/18 off an am hoping to make this road trip happen. Then plan is to head to Taichung on the 10th and then to the Yushan trailhead on 10/11 to hike to Paiyun lodge. From there I’m hoping to summit Yushan on the morning of the 12th and then head back down and stay the night at Sun Moon Lake. Then, head to Taroko on the 13th, stay 2 nights and scoot it down to Kenting for the 15th and 16th, then head back to Taipei on the 17th and 18th.

My question is: How doable is this? When I planned it out on Google maps the drive times didn’t seem too excessive each day, but of course Google maps is assuming I’m in a car and not on a scooter, which I assume will take considerably longer.

Any advice on this plan?

Doable.
I’ve done Taipei to Kaohsiung on scooter in 2 days.
The first day was the hardest, on route 3 (blue) and then on more mountainous routes until arriving in Taichung. On second day from Taichung to Kaohsiung we took the Taiwan Strait route.
From Taroko to Kenting might be the longest haul. Take route 11 (Pacific Ocean) for the views. Start out early every day (like 5am), just to make sure you make it to the next spot, because you’ll probably be stopping often to take pictures.

Have fun, most people don’t get to visit all those places even separately over a decade or two, including Taiwanese. I know Taiwanese friends who’ve never been south of Hualien on the east coast.

Recommendations:

1. Wear bicycle gloves or some sort of gloves (even those cheap Taiwanese cloth workingman’s gloves). Your hands will thank you.
  2. Stop often. Stretch your leg/butt muscles as well as relax your arms (which will become stiff from riding so long).
  3. Have your scooter’s oil changed before the trip. Get local mechanic to tighten brakes, check tires (leaks or at least treads), etc.
  4. October still could be some hot weather on east coast. Wear a light/light jacket instead of slothering sunscreen all over your arms. It’ll protect your arms from dust/exhaust on the road.
  5. Get a nice scarf-like mask. One that is like a tube that goes over your head and then can cover both your front/back of neck. Make sure it covers the front part of neck and up to your nose tip. You’ll be eating/catching a lot of dust and dirt if you don’t do so otherwise.
  6. Have just 1 bag with all the valuables. So, when you stop, you just take that one and don’t have to worry about other stuff (clothes, etc.)
  7. Raincoat. Get a really nice thick one, preferably that goes over your head (as the zipper kind can still have rain seep through). If it does rain really heavy, make sure the raincoat hood is inside the helmet covering your head (it’s doable). If hood is outside, heavy rain will go down your back somehow. At same time, bring cheap flip-flops. If it rains heavy, wear them instead of getting sneakers all wet.
3 Likes

Hey,
Thanks so much for the advice! Sorry I took so long to respond. The trip worked out and was amazing. Though in the future I’d shorten my daily trips to about 4ish hours so that I’m not spending so much time riding.
Best to you

1 Like

Any photos? Let us know what you enjoyed if you have time.

Cheers,
Guy

I would say that my favorite drive was from Sun Moon Lake to Hualien. We ended up having to go through Taroko at night (another reason why I would shorten my drives) but the drive up the mountains to Natou was amazing! Given the chance to do that drive again I would have stayed a night in Nantou so I could chill there and enjoy, and have the opportunity to drive down Taroko the next day.

Definitely the first day going from Taipei to the mountains in Chiayi was too long for one day. We rode for 11.5 hours, but we had to get there because of the dates we had permits for Yushan.

Yushan was definitely amazing but that Paiyun Lodge that you have to stay at is not the business. Instead of falling asleep to the sounds of nature you end up falling asleep to the sound of 15 other people snoring, but that’s the sacrifice you make to get to such a beautiful place!!

All in all I came away with some great adventure stories and a desire to go to all those places again but be able to spend more time there.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have to upload the photos one at a time because I’m new and forumosa will only let me put one media item in each post.

3 Likes

Great stuff! Thanks for posting!

Guy

1 Like