Ron DeSantis

I’m not a fan, and especially the recent survey-of-academics law seems incredibly stupid to me, but more and more this guy seems like one to watch for 2024

1 Like

He beat Trump in a straw poll

His pushback against media slander caught my eye a while back.

John Tamny wrote a book a while back called, They’re Both Wrong, pointing out how each side has their drumbeat issues, which aren’t all that…immigration and voting rights for example, RNC and DNC respectively. This seems like the new one…sigh. What it says to me is that we should be focused on providing critical thinking skills to students as well as classes in philosophy. I mean, if you’re asking for a “paradigm shift”, the exact wording used when I attended the CRE ahem training three years back, then it might be a good idea to first discover what your ideologies, philosophies and paradigms are first.

I like him already. Actually the name rings a bell…

For me they are the same class. Have you heard of the book ‘Academically adrift’? The basic premise is: universities no longer teach critical thinking skills.

The woke are asking for a very specific paradigm shift: from yours, to theirs.

If they had a better understanding of what theirs was I’d be far less dismissive. But justice and equity leave me flaccid.

1 Like

The natives seem restless in the land of Rona Devirus:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/07/26/desantis-under-fire-florida-now-accounts-1-5-new-us-covid-cases

The state of Florida now accounts for one in five new coronavirus infections in the United States, making it the nation’s most alarming hot spot as the highly transmissible Delta strain rips through undervaccinated communities and drives a surge in hospitalizations.

According to new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Florida has recorded 73,181 new Covid-19 cases over the past week, the most in the country. Florida also logged the most coronavirus deaths of any U.S. state in the last seven days—319—and hospitalizations are spiking, prompting dire warnings from physicians and calls for public safety measures to stop the spread.

But Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican and likely 2024 presidential candidate, has recently taken to mocking such measures; earlier this month, the governor’s team launched a new merchandise line that includes a koozie with the quote, “How the hell am I going to be able to drink a beer with a mask on?”

Let’s ask ourselves, is this one of the smartest people?

“While hospitals in our state were filling up, DeSantis was shouting about ‘Freedom over Faucism,’” said Bernard Ashby, a Miami-based cardiologist and head of the of the Florida chapter of the Committee to Protect Health Care. “If DeSantis were as concerned about stopping Covid-19 spread as he was about coming up with these clever jabs about Dr. Fauci, we might not be in this position.”

As the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday, epidemiologists argue that “various factors” are behind the Florida crisis, including: “large numbers of unvaccinated people, a relaxation of preventive measures like mask-wearing and social distancing, the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus, and the congregation of people indoors during hot summer months.”

Chad Neilsen, director of accreditation and infection prevention at the University of Florida Health Jacksonville, told the Journal that hospitalizations are surging at a rate “we have not seen before ever.” Data collected by Florida epidemiologists shows that recent hospital patients have been skewing younger, with more than half under the age of 60.

“It really has been unbelievable,” said Neilsen.

I totally believe it myself.

maybe that helps to explain this one

The other side of the Desantis equation. Keep the economy humming and deal with the smaller numbers of COVID infections and deaths compared to last year. Makes one wonder where the people getting it and giving it are actually from.

Overflowing hospital cues are by far the most dangerous thing about covid, most people tend to forget (or conveniently omit) this.

Sounds like there’s a significant covid problem in Florida. I don’t think pointing out it was even worse before under Rona has a lot of meaning.

Your hospitals are at risk, and you’re mocking public health officials.

Sounds like a clown who doesn’t give a single shit about his constituents to me.

1 Like

Who are you addressing this to in your mind?

The peak daily numbers are higher than the peak last year (although reporting seems somewhat less consistent, so this is partially a data artifact), and the 7 day moving average is at about the peak from last year, and showing no signs of slowing - it may overtake the peak 7 day average from the peak in January soon (it’s on a much steeper trajectory).

Seems pretty clear he’s talking about / ‘to’ Ron.

1 Like

Corona Devirus, governor of Florida, USA, Earth, MAGA Way Galaxy.

1 Like

The 7 day moving average on cases is now above last year’s peak, and hospitalizations are above January’s peak. Deaths starting to climb.

people are all running to Florida now because it’s not locking down and not following mandates. take that as you want.

some may say, great move
same may say, not great move

I don’t think DeSantis will be able to hold no mask mandate, no vaccine mandate forever, at least there will have to be some common ground.

Looking at stats, it seems nearly all ICU admissions are unvaccinated see here

“Eighty to eighty-five percent of those people who are hospitalized are unvaccinated. And 100 percent of the people in my IUC are unvaccinated. All those people are suffering unnecessarily.”

“This morning, we had over 420 patients with COVID. And 55 are in the ICU.”

“In the ICU, 55 people are fighting for their lives and only one of them is vaccinated.”

Given putting someone up in ICU is very expensive,

According to a review of costs associated with COVID-19 care, the national independent nonprofit Fair Health published a report late last year saying “an average COVID hospitalization with complications costs roughly $156,000 for someone with insurance with a basic COVID hospital stay costing about $29,000.”
see here

I did a longer post where I calculate the numbers, but this is not cheap for insurers and it’s clear the unvaccinated are going to cost them more, so expect once they have sorted out the legalities for unvaccinated premiums to skyrocket.

If I were a betting man (and I am), I’d say he continues down there same path (Kemp too).

I’m sure he want’s to, if the rate of hospital admissions stays the same as today (which we hope they wont) the costs are staggering, and the cost of dealing with unvaccinated vs vaccinated people just in admissions and ICU’s seems to ratio about 10:1.

Maybe he will leave it to insurance companies and businesses rather change his rules, but if there is an obvious disparity like that, something has to give somewhere.

He’s doubling down - he literally just banned mask mandates in schools and has been signalling restrictions are off the table.

Edit: and he led the fight against cruise lines requiring vaccinations.

Not to mention the continued mocking of heath officials. This guy is in full ‘covid is a hoax’ mode.

I saw that, but this is far from being over, I think he’s backed himself into a corner. Expect the criticism to start coming from every direction.

I know, I am following the news, I’m just saying I don’t think he will be able to hold his stance forever, especially as cases are on the rise.

We will see.