Rude Taiwanese co-worker

Unless Taiwan opens up it’s banking comparable systems like Singapore it will be hard to attract companies to setup a regional HQ in Taiwan. Works permits are not the issue really.

2 Likes

It’s never been difficult to do so. Many of them here up to 2010. They were here training local replacements which cost far less than expats and it’s not like Taiwanese are not well educated with undergrad and post grad degrees from abroad.

Yeah that’s true. That’s probably a huge setback too, along with NTD not being openly tradable.

I think those superficial advantages don’t outweigh the costs.

No that’s not really an issue with multicurrency accounts nowadays.

2 Likes

China biz needs operation in China, they are a walled kingdom. Won’t work from Taiwan either.

Place I work is failing badly trying to integrate China, Hk and Taiwan. The HK customers can’t stand mainlanders and use English for their business.
You can imagine how little crossover there is then between China and Taiwan. I mean if you want to lose a deal by all means send a manager from taiwan to china or vice versa.

1 Like

Taiwan as a greater China hub doesn’t make sense in 2023. It made sense in the Ma era. Not that I’d want to go back to the Ma era. But it makes no sense anymore

1 Like

It will make sense next year when the KMT gets the presidency.

But here, the office is a clique which you can be “in” or looking in. Eg. Although you’re not a huge bubble tea fan, you’re still a little sad you’ve never once asked. This, x10. There’s nothing you can complain about without looking petty yourself.

And that’s why i work remotely. once a month take the HSR up to head office.

*check out my humble-brag

1 Like

I’m once every two years to the office. Humble humble brag. It’s been so long I wouldn’t recognise half the staff lol.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why Taiwanese find it OK to tell ABCs that they have poor Chinese.

Also the reason why since we started having WFH during the pandemic, I made sure to keep it. Lol. Will probably keep it that way until I leave this job.

Do they? In my experience they usually only ask that before finding out they are ABC. After finding out, they usually switch the question to “then why is your Chinese so good?”

They do the opposite with me. They see a foreign face and ask why my Chinese is so good, and after finding out I grew up in HK, they ask me why it’s so bad. :expressionless:

1 Like

It is an offensive comment. Most Taiwanese people think that any ethnic Chinese person is/should be fluent in Mandarin.

Many Taiwanese people still somehow think that ABCs somehow fully understand Chinese culture.

I think you have not seen enough cases.

How? Many old Taiwanese are no fluent in Mandarin.

When I moved back to Taiwan after spending nearly 20 years abroad, many still expected me to speak Mandarin and could not understand why my Mandarin was not fluent.

You said “move back” so they probably assume you were born and raised here and lived here at least for some time as a child, and already spoke Mandarin before moving overseas?

I left when I was very little. I left when I was in the third grade. I did not receive any subsequent education in Mandarin.