Rumoured Changes to Naturalization Legislation

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“bismarck”]
If you have a TARC you’re not really stateless anymore as you’re a Taiwanese National with a Taiwanese passport, no?[/quote]

It’s a technicality. You are considered stateless by (e.g.) the UK government right up until you’ve acquired household registration and a real ID number.[/quote]
Ok, well, good for the UK, then. But I think most other countries wouldn’t consider a National of country A to be stateless. Because, well…you’re not.

Kind of like the problems UK nationals/citizens have with marriage registration if they get married here. :loco:

[quote=“bismarck”]
Kind of like the problems UK nationals/citizens have with marriage registration if they get married here. :loco:[/quote]

I wish I knew what’s changed with that. I got married in Taiwan and subsequently obtained my JFRV back in 2003. I heard the usual idiocy of requiring “home country registration” or some such bullshit, and somehow I managed to convince the immigration people that the Taiwanese documents prove I got married and that the UK wouldn’t issue any kind of “registration of marriage” document, regardless of where I’d been married.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“bismarck”]
Kind of like the problems UK nationals/citizens have with marriage registration if they get married here. :loco:[/quote]

I wish I knew what’s changed with that. I got married in Taiwan and subsequently obtained my JFRV back in 2003. I heard the usual idiocy of requiring “home country registration” or some such bullshit, and somehow I managed to convince the immigration people that the Taiwanese documents prove I got married and that the UK wouldn’t issue any kind of “registration of marriage” document, regardless of where I’d been married.[/quote]
Well, each country has their unique bureaucratic idiocy, mate. It will take me four months or more to renounce…

You are NOT stateless in this circumstance. If you want an analogy to the UK system then it’s the same as being a second generation British Citizen (Overseas) with British nationality and a UK passport but no right of abode in the UK. As a Taiwanese passport holder you are a national of Taiwan, simple as that.

BTW there is some confusion here about the 6 month time limit for retaining British citizenship.

When you apply for renunciation of British nationality you effectively get a 6 month ‘cooling off’ period. The Home Office will send you a letter confirming your registration but if you do not obtain some other nationality within that time you can write to them giving proof as such and the renunciation will not take effect.

I think what Sat TV is referring to is reclamation of British nationality which is allowed at any time after renunciation - but only once - and only if the original reason for renouncing was to obtain another country’s nationality.

The last bit I doubt is constitutional, is it really possible to block somebody from citizenship who was born in a country that automatically gives citizenship rights to such people?

The UK is pretty lenient about that. If you give up US citizenship then that’s it, you’re a foreigner.

[quote=“bismarck”]
Kind of like the problems UK nationals/citizens have [/quote]

So do you mean UK nationals or UK citizens? They’re not the same, you know.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“bismarck”]
Kind of like the problems UK nationals/citizens have [/quote]

So do you mean UK nationals or UK citizens? They’re not the same, you know.[/quote]
I know they’re not the same. I meant “or” as in I’m not sure if it’s just citizens, nationals or both who have problems with marriage registration. So I just put them down as citizens/nationals, although I suppose it’s only citizens who have (had? not sure if they still do) that problem.

Strongly suggest that if you are considering giving up UK nationality (whatever kind) to get local nationality… you get a good UK lawyer on the case. Because you will probably want to reclaim it ASAP.

Kenneth

wtf do you need a lawyer for? Most UK layers are a bunch of gobshites who wouldnt have a clue as to the law. Fact is if you haven’t go your citizenchip of a foreign country within 6 months you are deemed never to have renounced UK Nationality under UK law. Most UK arse waffles wouldn’t ave a fecking clue about this. Laywers dont make decisions, all they do is give advice on nothing they have no experience with and send you a bill for a couple of thousand quid to say they aven’t got an effing clue.

Useless twats are mose UK lawyers.

wtf do you need a lawyer for? Most UK layers are a bunch of gobshites who wouldnt have a clue as to the law. Fact is if you haven’t go your citizenchip of a foreign country within 6 months you are deemed never to have renounced UK Nationality under UK law. Most UK arse waffles wouldn’t ave a fecking clue about this. Laywers dont make decisions, all they do is give advice on nothing they have no experience with and send you a bill for a couple of thousand quid to say they aven’t got an effing clue.

Useless twats are mose UK lawyers.[/quote]

My goodness. I thought rumour had it you grew up down under, but sounds like you might’ve grown up down the road from me. :bravo: Best South London-speak I’ve heard in a while, and certainly the best from an Aussie!!

Useless twats are mose UK lawyers.[/quote]

:roflmao: :notworthy:

You are NOT stateless in this circumstance. If you want an analogy to the UK system then it’s the same as being a second generation British Citizen (Overseas) with British nationality and a UK passport but no right of abode in the UK. As a Taiwanese passport holder you are a national of Taiwan, simple as that.[/quote]

I didn’t mean you were actually stateless. I said you were considered “stateless”. For the purposes of the British Nationality law you have not fully acquired the citizenship of your new country until you have household registration (which takes at least one year) and hence you’re entitled to reclaim your UK citizenship after six months.

The main thrust of my post wasn’t the legality of your status in Taiwan as a TARC holder. It was the way in which the UK government will see your status with regard to reclaiming British citizenship.