Russia invades Ukraine: General Discussion 2023

I’ve yet to see evidence of Ukraine using armour without infantry support, as Russia has been.

1 Like

They have to conserve what they have much more than Russia. Even with this mild injection that will still be true.

3 Likes

I know (via Dan Carlin) that a large proportion of Ottoman Empire slaves were white Europeans, although whether they were the majority I’m unsure. It doesn’t seem implausible, though.

The main sources of slaves were wars and politically organized enslavement expeditions in the Caucasus, Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, the Balkans, and Africa. It has been reported that the selling price of slaves decreased after large military operations.[2] In Constantinople (present-day Istanbul), the administrative and political center of the Ottoman Empire, about a fifth of the 16th- and 17th-century population consisted of slaves.[3] Statistics of these centuries suggest that Istanbul’s additional slave imports from the Black Sea have totaled around 2.5 million from 1453 to 1700.

3 Likes

This isn’t a mild injection.

A third of the population of Russia were slaves. They were white, perhaps not technically European.

Do you think people can enter one and use it like it is changing a car?
3 months of training for whichever ones are used at least.
If it gets damaged it will have to, if they manage to get it back from wherever it was damaged, send it over 1000KM to Poland to have repaired. Then another 1000KM to the front.

Laughable.

1 Like

What did he say?

Where do you consider to be more democratic?

Assuming you’re responding to me the UK has been training Ukrainian troops for months. Perhaps the Russian experts are still awaiting the spring freeze for their next major offensive.

1 Like

Even truer if you include “wage slaves”, a class expanded and exported globally from Britain round about that time. Enclosures Act legal land grabs, The “Enlightenment” yada yada

"The peasant with rights and a status, with a share in the fortunes and government of his village, standing in rags, but standing on his feet, makes way for the labourer with no corporate rights to defend, no corporate power to invoke, no property to cherish, no ambition to pursue, bent beneath the fear of his masters, and the weight of a future without hope. No class in the world has so beaten and crouching a history.".

Thats most peoples history, mine certainly included.

Not for tanks.
foot soldiers. 3 weeks training, then thrown into the ‘meat grinder’. Cannon fodder.
They may well fly some over for tank training now.

A sporting club in a local league where a show of hands decides and not corruption or money.

Or Russia?

The Ukrainian troops seem to be pretty good with tanks so far.

Anyway, let’s hope Putin gets forced into a position where he has to make a reasonable peace deal.

Compared to the Russian army it is.

1 Like

In numbers, yes.

We’ll see how it pans out in six months. My money’s on me being right. Fancy a bet?

What’s the bet?

I’m open to suggestions. Loser kisses my hairy arse?

You’ll never reach it. What are we betting on I meant?

1 Like

I thought that was clear. The new tanks make a major impact within six months.