Ruth's Chris Steakhouse

No sorry I don’t. I had one, but it closed down after Chinese New Year. I am still missing it.

I will say that part of the allure of grilled meat isn’t the fact that it is cooked at high heat.

I prefer my beef or lamb cooked over charcoal because the fat drips grease on the coals. This creates smoke circulation.

With my Weber, I make sure I have a good amount of heat and charcoal, but I like to use the lid for about 2 mins in the cooking so the smoke circulates. (I like my meat medium rare)

Without smoke, you have 0 grilled taste. Grilled taste to me is what makes a great steak.

In other words you can take an incredible piece of beef, and then broil it (from above), or you can grill it or BBQ it and the results will vary. It is up to the person whether they like it grilled, bbq’d, or broiled.

I like mine kind of in between BBQ and grilled.

[quote=“the chief”]FWIW, I believe he’s describing a Ruth’s in the US.
Welcome to Info fucking Central.
See, you should have requested something about What You Can Buy at Costco or How Everyone Likes Their Steak Cooked, and that way you’d get the answers about Ruth’s that you were originally seeking.
Good thing you weren’t posting about antidote for that nasty snakebite you just got, you’d be fucking dead by now…[/quote]

Whats FWIW?

Just tried to do my best to be friendly and answer a question.

For what it’s worth.

I like Ruth’s Chris. Good food, nice wine list, and great service. Happy to find a place that cooks a steak the way I like it.

[quote=“Gifthorse”]I will say that part of the allure of grilled meat isn’t the fact that it is cooked at high heat.

I prefer my beef or lamb cooked over charcoal because the fat drips grease on the coals. This creates smoke circulation.
[/quote]

Have you tried beef cooked at >550c/1000f?

When you cook that hot, the fat instantly ignites as soon as it drips. It doesn’t make it to the coals – kind of like a built-in marinade. You get pure beef flavor, unspoiled by your heat source.

I shoot for 800c/1500f when I cook beef. The texture is without compare.

[quote=“ScoopLV”][quote=“Gifthorse”]I will say that part of the allure of grilled meat isn’t the fact that it is cooked at high heat.

[/quote]

Have you tried beef cooked at >550c/1000f?

When you cook that hot, the fat instantly ignites as soon as it drips. It doesn’t make it to the coals – kind of like a built-in marinade. You get pure beef flavor, unspoiled by your heat source.

I shoot for 800c/1500f when I cook beef. The texture is without compare.[/quote]

No I haven’t, maybe your way is better. I have heard that before, I just kind of developed my own way with my Weber that seemed to work for me. I usually go around 4 min per side if it is a pretty thick on, and I always use the lid to get more smokeyness. The steak is usually rare or a bit more when I am done, but I let it rest for around 8 mins so by the time I serve it, it is medium rare which is my favorite. I keep the grate pretty hot while cooking, but not as hot as you mentioned.

But my other guitarist in my band back home has this book ‘The BBQ Bible’ and he swears by the steak that is grilled at super high heat with a hairdryer used to make the coals even hotter. I haven’t tried that before, but sometime I would like to. I just hate to try new things when I am hungry and I just spent money on a high qaulity piece of meat. Thats something I would try if someone else knew what they were doing and did it right.

Been to Ruth’s Chris in the States 3 times outside Philly (by the King of Prussia Mall), I cannot comment on the one in Taipei, I was never impressed by the food, generally a snooty place with people that are there to be seen… way over priced for what you get… if I am going to spend that kind of money I expect great food and a scenic location. There are far too many great food places in Taipei to waste my time and money at a Ruth’s Chris…

I’ve been to the one in Taipei and Hong Kong several times within the last year. Both are good and still my favorite steak places (better than Smith & Wollensky’s and what’s that place called in Brooklyn).

It’s expensive but I think both the filet and ribeye (I always get the American beef) are good and more importantly, consistent.

The crab salad appetizer is good, and the wine list too. Of course service can’t be beat.

There’s no American beef in Shanghai (there is, but it’s smuggled – PM for more info) so I go to Ruth’s Chris nearly every time I go to Taiwan.

I noticed Ruth’s Chris being discussed in another thread so I thought I would share my own experience here.

First, here is a recent review from fans of the restaurant in Atlanta so we can all get on the same page about what the food looks and sounds like

I’ve only tried Ruth’s Chris in Taipei a couple times and a couple times in California - in LA and SFO. I’ve enjoyed it Everytime, but then, I love meat. And I enjoy how they do it, too.

I did not know the story of the restaurant and that the steak is prepared with A LOT of butter. Although it has been a while since I’ve been there, I’m happy to go back any time. I have not gone only because of convenience and I’ve just tried to cut down my meat intake overall. There are more steakhouses in Taipei that are easier for me to reach since I no longer live in Daan District.

Now, however, I may aim to drop by sometime and check it out