Dinner etiquette - who is wrong?

I did on my first day in Taiwan.
Same reason as @keoni said. I didn’t want it to roll of onto the floor nor I wanted to place it on the dirty table.
I got dirty look from an A-ma and a lesson from a friend.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t call it a “fuss.” I’d just call it a good-quality properly cooked steak, like you’d expect to get at a steakhouse in the US. They are really hard to find here, in my experience.

I’m in California and I meant the fuss compared to
other steak houses here also in California

It is not better not worse but not better doesn’t live up to the hype

This is a forum dedicated to Taiwan, and we were discussing restaurants in Taiwan. Compared to the other options here, trust me, it’s good. I agree that in the US it would just be another decent steakhouse. I’ve never eaten at one in the US and am not sure why I would. I didn’t realize it was “hyped” in California. Seems odd for such a massive chain.

Yeah it’s got a good following among the people I know
Small sample though
We have one in Walnut Creek and the one in SF closed due to the virus

A lot of restaurants big and small good and bad went under

As for Taiwan I’ve always liked the steaks at a decent teppanyaki

I’m not sure it’s still there and I forgot the name but there was some ozzzie style place where they put a hot stone in front of you and a raw
Steak and you cook it yourself

I liked the fact the steak came first then the bread ,salad and soup and then desert and coffee
It was in tienmu

I’m sorry to hear the one in downtown SFO closed. That was the last time I went to one and it was exactly what I needed. I had flown in for the funeral of a childhood friend and spent the afternoon with my friend’s family in Oakland. It was a grim day. Another close friend who had flown in from the east coast and I decided to toast our buddy that night and we made our way to Ruth’s Chris for no particular reason. I don’t remember the food exactly given other things on our minds, but we were well satisfied.

I post about Ruth’s Chris over here

While I have no beef (har!) with Ruth’s Chris in Taipei, I find going to Le Blanc much easier to reach. The steaks are not prepared the same way but I can expect a hearty meal in both

For birthdays, I’ve taken my kid to Morton’s - another fine steak in my opinion that is also really easy to reach by MRT

3 Likes

Morton’s is what I meant to say earlier when I said Lawry’s. Ruth’s Chris and Morton’s are my standbys here when I want a good steak and don’t mind paying for it.

1 Like

It’s not really.

1 Like

Oh My God!
Thank you!
I thought it was just me.

1 Like

What kind of name is that? Is that Chris with a mom named Ruth?

Iirc, the of owner - Ruth - bought Chris steak house. She wanted to open a new location, but only had the name rights to it in the first location, so opened new ones as Ruth’s Chris.

3 Likes

Impressive manboobs.

[quote=“Poundsand, post:202, topic:213178, full:true”]

Yes. You do recall correctly. Excellent story.

Dodged a bullet there OP crying over dinner :rofl:

I think this thread makes them both sound like they could ruin a good couple.

1 Like

This never works because the damage and awkwardness caused by the initial refusal doesn’t go away (for example, I once said this about my wife’s parents visiting for the weekend when I had other plans… I tried to say okay when I saw how upset it made her when I initially said I wasn’t in the mood to see them, and it probably just made things worse).

1 Like

I hate stumbling upon a juicy thread two weeks too late.

Next time, just buy her a friggin’ Star Bucks latte to show your thanks. Unless you have romantic intentions, anything more is weird tbh. I think things were probably a bit awkward even before you reneged on footing the bill for an extravagant Michelin star meal… but then saying they have to pay for it more than sealed the deal. You screwed the pooch as my friend used to say. Forget about her and move on OP. It’s Chinatown.

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but I took it as read that the OP had/has romantic intentions.

4 Likes

Still dumb. You don’t go straight to the fancy Michelin restaurants as it reeks of desperation. Start small with some casual dining spot… or just meet for coffee.

4 Likes

Get the impression the OP had some sort of voucher for the meal and wasn’t actually spending his own cash hence insisting everyone paid for their own extras outside the voucher.

3 Likes