Dinner etiquette - who is wrong?

Has there ever been any situation where someone has stuck their chopsticks in their rice? Why would anybody do that?

1 Like

Yup, I used to do that when I was younger. I had no idea that was a rude thing to do until people started telling me I shouldnā€™t do that.

Why? So the chopsticks wonā€™t accidentally roll off the table onto the floor.

3 Likes

I stand corrected. And surprised.

1 Like

Iā€™ve probably done it at some point (or at least, I remember being told a few times it was impolite, otherwise I guess it wouldnā€™t have come up). I donā€™t think I cared much about it being perceived as impolite though. :man_shrugging:

Iā€™ve also never openly criticized Asians about their use of knives and forks, even when it was patently ridiculous, like stabbing a slice of pizza with a fork and moving their head down to table level to slide the pizza into their mouth (China). Live and let liveā€¦

3 Likes

He didnā€™t say if he bought the coffee or not.

Anyways Iā€™m still curious what favor did she do for OP that only took an hour that leads to an expensive Michelin star restaurant date to repay said favor.

3 Likes

He was just trying to be a ā€œbig wheelā€ and instead he came up flat.

Live and learn.

The favor was probably small enough to warrant a coffee at Starbucks.

6 Likes

Itā€™s because when you stick chopsticks into the rice it looks like an offering to the dead (which is usually a bowl of rice). And Chinese people are afraid of anything that has a passing resemblance of death.

2 Likes

If we were in a major city in the US I might agree that there are better steak options, but in Taiwan where people generally donā€™t know how to do steak, Iā€™ve not found anything better than major American chains like Ruthā€™s Chris and Lawryā€™s.

And yeah, theyā€™re out of my regular budget, too. Itā€™s a once or twice a year kind of thing for me, which is why there are apparently still places like Dannyā€™s that I havenā€™t tried. Itā€™s hard to justify the risk in that price range when there are dependable standbyes.

1 Like

It might have been only a few minutes actually

Yes JUST coffee
,anything else you are on your own

1 Like

Well Iā€™ve only been there three times so far and all on someone elseā€™s dime but even so I didnā€™t like the steaks even if I didnā€™t pay And that is saying something I think

I donā€™t see what the fuss is about for sure

We are all aware of this.

4 Likes

I did on my first day in Taiwan.
Same reason as @keoni said. I didnā€™t want it to roll of onto the floor nor I wanted to place it on the dirty table.
I got dirty look from an A-ma and a lesson from a friend.

4 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call it a ā€œfuss.ā€ Iā€™d just call it a good-quality properly cooked steak, like youā€™d expect to get at a steakhouse in the US. They are really hard to find here, in my experience.

Iā€™m in California and I meant the fuss compared to
other steak houses here also in California

It is not better not worse but not better doesnā€™t live up to the hype

This is a forum dedicated to Taiwan, and we were discussing restaurants in Taiwan. Compared to the other options here, trust me, itā€™s good. I agree that in the US it would just be another decent steakhouse. Iā€™ve never eaten at one in the US and am not sure why I would. I didnā€™t realize it was ā€œhypedā€ in California. Seems odd for such a massive chain.

Yeah itā€™s got a good following among the people I know
Small sample though
We have one in Walnut Creek and the one in SF closed due to the virus

A lot of restaurants big and small good and bad went under

As for Taiwan Iā€™ve always liked the steaks at a decent teppanyaki

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s still there and I forgot the name but there was some ozzzie style place where they put a hot stone in front of you and a raw
Steak and you cook it yourself

I liked the fact the steak came first then the bread ,salad and soup and then desert and coffee
It was in tienmu

Iā€™m sorry to hear the one in downtown SFO closed. That was the last time I went to one and it was exactly what I needed. I had flown in for the funeral of a childhood friend and spent the afternoon with my friendā€™s family in Oakland. It was a grim day. Another close friend who had flown in from the east coast and I decided to toast our buddy that night and we made our way to Ruthā€™s Chris for no particular reason. I donā€™t remember the food exactly given other things on our minds, but we were well satisfied.

I post about Ruthā€™s Chris over here

While I have no beef (har!) with Ruthā€™s Chris in Taipei, I find going to Le Blanc much easier to reach. The steaks are not prepared the same way but I can expect a hearty meal in both

For birthdays, Iā€™ve taken my kid to Mortonā€™s - another fine steak in my opinion that is also really easy to reach by MRT

3 Likes

Mortonā€™s is what I meant to say earlier when I said Lawryā€™s. Ruthā€™s Chris and Mortonā€™s are my standbys here when I want a good steak and donā€™t mind paying for it.

1 Like

Itā€™s not really.

1 Like