Dinner etiquette - who is wrong?

Well not to sound like a snob but Ruth Chris sucks

Probably I’m too proletariat to understand such establishments

Must be my lack of class and my thin wallet and even thinner credit cards

Quote from the video - regarding jaywalking* and the advice for foreigners not to do it:

1:25 "you’ll stand out like a sore thumb, and just add to the stereotype that all foreigners here, don’t respect the rules and the culture.

I didn’t know this was a stereotype of ‘all foreigners’ in Taiwan. I would love for the presenter of the video to come on here and elaborate on how he came to such a conclusion.

*Interestingly the presenter seemed confused as to the legality of jaywalking in Taiwan, however his dictatorial advice was for foreigners not to do it.

But you didn’t talk to her family.

Sounds like she embarrassed herself in front of her family, and now she’s angry and blaming you.

2 Likes

Lol, yeah I’m not sure that video will be much help to anyone. 25 is a good round number though.

What?

1 Like

Lol wtf.

4 Likes

How did she take it when you told her that you’re fine buying the coffee, but she’s responsible for paying for her own biscotti?

15 Likes

It was ok because she could share the rest of the coffee with her family.

10 Likes

Yeah. “Here’s a small latte to share among your family members - my treat.”

10 Likes

Is the rule about not giving money with one hand true? I’ve never given money to a cashier with two hands in my life. Looking back, I definitely remember cashiers giving me money with two hands in Japan (and I can see why I probably should have done the same to them), but I don’t remember it ever happening in Taiwan.

Absolutely not true. You definitely use two hands to give something to someone politely, but I bet if you stood watching you’d be waiting a long time to see either a customer or a cashier do it in a convenience store transaction.

1 Like

Lot of places use those trays where you put the money in to avoid hand contact now.

That just sounds like hand contact with extra steps.

2 Likes

Hand contact by proxy.

Efficiency with extra steps.

1 Like

I’m saying the information was being passed to her family though her. If cancelling the meal was so bad that she cried about it, then maybe she could have made a white lie about the cancellation to save everyone face?

But obviously she threw her foreign friend under the bus.

5 Likes

True, she could have just said he cancelled it or something. But, he did cause her to have to invite and then disinvite them, which is something.

3 Likes

The OP fucked up. Can’t we leave it at that?

1 Like

If we could, this topic would have only 3 posts…

7 Likes

Every topic!

3 Likes

14 years and he still can’t pronounce the name of the country

4 Likes