Dinner etiquette - who is wrong?

What are they selling?
Secondhand embarrassment?

I hear the schadenfreude is delicious

1 Like

They are advertising the restaurant!

Well if they are, we should be seeing the name of the restaurant?

It’s Michelin star restaurant. Not that many in Taiwan.

looks like around 37 of them

目錄 / Table of Contents

2 Likes

Whatever the outcome was it was final

Sorry for the lack of reply but I was busy last week and needed to cool off on the drama

We met up for coffee and she ended up crying about how much I embarrassed her in front of her family. I think it will take some time to cool off, but I’ll try work up to something by Chinese new year’s (I think there’s still a chance - she accepted a condolence gift I bought for her mom).

I tried to convince some last minute dates to go with me to the restauraunt but no one was available. Fortunately they let me re-schedule once.

3 Likes

Not a name I would pick for a Michelin restaurant unless they’re not afraid of being confused with Denny’s. :flushed:

2 Likes

This certainly gives a new meaning to the “sharing economy” :wink:

Damn…
I’m trying to imagine what kind of story she told them, to feel so embarrassed.
Maybe she painted you as the charming prince who never do wrong?

The parents probably laughed their asses off and took the piss. It’s literally unheard of to do what the OP describes.

5 Likes

Danny is a relatively common name in the west. I’ve been to other establishments with that name and it never occurred to me to confuse them with Denny’s.

I’ll have to try this place out sometime. It’s prices aren’t bad relative to other high-end steakhouses like Ruth’s Chris. Interestingly it’s reviews on Google aren’t amazing, though.

Taiwan is obsessed with Michelin stars. I guess it fits with the cultural need to have everything graded/scored/ranked.

3 Likes

If this was a perspective relationship, then time to move on. Yup, massive mistake and lost all credibility before the family. No earning that back. But on the positive, you just might have saved yourself years of anguish resulting in expensive legal fees. Life lesson. We all do stupid stuff. Don’t forget to look back in 10 years and laugh. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe you need see this

3 Likes

Although many have been critical I don’t think anyone has put the unsaid rules of paying for dinner up, so here’s how I have learned them generally speaking across all of Asia.

1. Never ever invite a person(s) to dinner if you are not prepared to absorb 100% of the cost. (I think the OP got that).
  2. It’s fine to go dutch with friends, neighbors, co-workers or even take turns, it’s normal and people are up front about it. Face plays a part and it’s about everyone keeping an equal status with each other.
  3. Very often there is a fight over who get’s to pay, this is a face thing, in the Op’s situation if the parents had got up to pay he would have had to at least put up a pretense of being sincere about paying and then gauge their willingness to pay, if they were adamant, he should back down as they have a senior position being the parents not to do so would be a loss of face for them. If they are the ones appearing insincere, allow them to go through the motions and thank them graciously for the offer but remain adamant to pay. (By the way, if they really are adamant, you won’t win, they know all sorts of tricks to beat you to the cashier).
    Confusion can be removed early if they are running up a bill by immediately motioning the bill be placed with you. Or make it to the cashier fast and early. Also keep an eye on them if the bill is placed close to you, they might try to grab it from you.
  4. Do not fight with your boss over who pays let alone beat them to the cashier without their knowledge, you will probably find yourself out of a job that way.
4 Likes

Typed a whole paragraph then had to thumb delete letter
By letter

WTF do we know about you and her snd what right do we have to influence your relationship

Go for it take it as far as you want
What’s the worse that can happen?
If it all goes to pot there’s lots of songs to comfort you

War and Peace
Romance and Misery is what Hollywood and life is all about

Doesn’t anyone like to be a last minute date anymore ? Some (almost) free food?