Dinner etiquette - who is wrong?

Oh My God!
Thank you!
I thought it was just me.

1 Like

What kind of name is that? Is that Chris with a mom named Ruth?

Iirc, the of owner - Ruth - bought Chris steak house. She wanted to open a new location, but only had the name rights to it in the first location, so opened new ones as Ruth’s Chris.

3 Likes

Impressive manboobs.

[quote=“Poundsand, post:202, topic:213178, full:true”]

Yes. You do recall correctly. Excellent story.

Dodged a bullet there OP crying over dinner :rofl:

I think this thread makes them both sound like they could ruin a good couple.

1 Like

This never works because the damage and awkwardness caused by the initial refusal doesn’t go away (for example, I once said this about my wife’s parents visiting for the weekend when I had other plans
 I tried to say okay when I saw how upset it made her when I initially said I wasn’t in the mood to see them, and it probably just made things worse).

1 Like

I hate stumbling upon a juicy thread two weeks too late.

Next time, just buy her a friggin’ Star Bucks latte to show your thanks. Unless you have romantic intentions, anything more is weird tbh. I think things were probably a bit awkward even before you reneged on footing the bill for an extravagant Michelin star meal
 but then saying they have to pay for it more than sealed the deal. You screwed the pooch as my friend used to say. Forget about her and move on OP. It’s Chinatown.

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but I took it as read that the OP had/has romantic intentions.

4 Likes

Still dumb. You don’t go straight to the fancy Michelin restaurants as it reeks of desperation. Start small with some casual dining spot
 or just meet for coffee.

4 Likes

Get the impression the OP had some sort of voucher for the meal and wasn’t actually spending his own cash hence insisting everyone paid for their own extras outside the voucher.

3 Likes

That’s a possibility. But if that was the case, it would have been best to be upfront about it. “Hey, I got this voucher for this restaurant and would like to invite you to eat there with me.”

2 Likes

Just order a 10 person table at a local restaurant, easy.

Michelin star restaurants give vouchers?

3 Likes

It’s all in the first post of the thread. It wasn’t a voucher. He wanted to order an expensive entree that is intended for more than two people, so he said she could invited others to share that specific entree. I can see how it made sense to him in a very concrete way that ignores all social rules and context, but obviously in real life you need to either treat someone to dinner or not. You can’t really offer to treat them to a portion of a shared entree and then make them pay for everything else when, especially when 1000nt drinks are involved.

2 Likes

Sure you can. His problem was that he offered to treat for the whole meal at first but then backtracked.

5 Likes

Vouchers can be purchased and are frequently given to employees by companies, not to mention friends and family.

I will go a little off topic, this to me means the second course before the main meal.
so I read this as a very specific and odd part of the meal to share, made me giggle.
(I know other place use the word differently)

It could be an Edwardian styled meal then its only the fourth course out of ten.
https://www.katom.com/learning-center/downton-abbey-the-traditional-edwardian-10-course-meal.html#

I should have just said “dish” since that’s the term the OP used. At that price I assumed it was the main dish (which we call an entrĂ©e in American English— I realize it’s different elsewhere), but I don’t even know that for a fact.

1 Like