S-Video and DVI connectors: Differences?

More questions for the gurus. :?: For my return home next year, I’m considering buying an all-region DVD ROM or R/W, so I’ll have no problems watching all DVDs. Later on I will likely want to play these through a TV or external display by connecting it to my graphics card. This is brand new and has an S-Video out connector and a DVI connector. Am I right in thinking that any multi-sytem TV or display with an S-Video in-connector will work? Do I definitely need a multi-system TV?

Also, I’m having trouble making sense of all the information about DVI connectors. How exactly does DVI differ from S-Video? It seems DVI is designed to enable output to digital displays, but what is the difference between DVI-D and DVI-I? I’m probably going to splurge on a 19 inch LCD, so should I make sure it has a DVI connectior?

Thanks and apologies for my ignorance and recent barrage of questions. :blush:

If you want to use the TV out on your video card then the TV must be able to display what your card outputs. Whether it’s worth it to switch the card between NTSC and PAL depending on the DVD, I’m not sure. If you’re asking can you play a PAL disc on a NTSC video card and vice versa, then I believe the answer is yes.

No idea what DVI is or what it plugs into.

When playing some discs on my PowerDVD it complained that it couldn’t play if the TV out was enabled. My video card does have a tv out, but I’ve never used it, or even enabled it. So I had to find a registry hack to permanently disable the tv-out. So it seems that the tv-out is a non-starter for playing DVD’s :unamused: :frowning: Thanks to the stupid twats at PowerDVD and DVD Forum, the same people who brought us region encoding :x

Might be better to use a monitor, you’ll get a much clearer picture at a higher resolution

DVI is a digital interface. Your video card must have a DVI port. The monitor must have the port too. It is said that the digital quality will be better than the standard 9-pin video analog connector. More and more designers want them.

S-Video is an analog interface for either NTSC or PAL. Most video cards will output both TV standards through them to either a NTSC television or PAL television. The S-Video port is not specific to either. Bascially you use an S-Video interface to hook up to a television to either import or export video.

On my PowerBook I use the S-Video port to play DVDs on my big-screen TV.

However, NOT all TVs out there have a S-Video port. I went down to Guanghua Guangchang and bought a S-Video to RCA cable. They are a bit expensive though. Prices range from 300 to 500 NT.

Most decent/new VCRs or DVD players will have S-Video. You can always pipe it through there if you don’t want to buy a converter cable.

DVI is basically a replacement for standard VGA. It’s only available on certain LCDs(the number is growing). It theoretically allows for better imaging, but I doubt most people will notice a difference.

DVI-D: Digital signal on digital connector
DVI-I: Analog signal on digital connector (useful for the DVI->VGA converters)

tech-plus.co.uk/system/index.html