Sababa Gong Guan

Yes, we’re staying at Xinhai, although we call it the Heping branch simply because it is a Heping address. We also have a new location opening in October at the new food court in the Breeze Center at Taipei Main Station.

And those “Order Here” signs are going up this week, I promise.

Constructive comments and patronage always appreciated.

Cheers,
Pitadude

Sounds you’r really starting up to build your Emperium. Good luck and all success.
Though, a food court in a Breeze? Wow, that sounds high class :slight_smile:

Just popped by Sababa (Heping branch) for lunch today and had an incredibly yummy Carrot, ginger and honey soup. It was spicy and warming, perfect for this kind of weather. (NT$58).

They are also in the middle of the soft opening of New York Pizza right next door- pizza by the slice, I’m not much of a lunchtime pizza eater, but my friend grabbed a slice and it was a good size, and looked to have plenty of toppings on it. He certainly seemed to enjoy it, I think the prices ran at between NT80- 105 or something like that depending on the toppings. Their grand opening is scheduled for early March, but they’re trading now, they are open at lunchtime, and I think they close at 9.30pm.

But that soup,mmmm, it was gorgeous.

SABABA AT TAIPEI MAIN STATION BREEZE CENTER

Got the shits here last week, I told the boy I thought the chicken wasn’t fresh, he told me I was lying, quite a tricky fellow, regardless to say the next day I was pissing out my ass and off work for 2 days!

Avoid this branch if you can, I guess it doesn’t do much business.

[quote=“crazy tiger”]SABABA AT Taipei MAIN STATION BREEZE CENTER

Got the shits here last week, I told the boy I thought the chicken wasn’t fresh, he told me I was lying, quite a tricky fellow, regardless to say the next day I was pissing out my ass and off work for 2 days!

Avoid this branch if you can, I guess it doesn’t do much business.[/quote]

I like this restaurant, but I too have had stomach problems after eating at that branch. I thought maybe it was the tons of (sometimes filthy) people in the shared dining area. You’ve got so many people coming and going all day, plus loads of used plates and utensils piling up and dropped everywhere. Yuck.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“crazy tiger”]SABABA AT Taipei MAIN STATION BREEZE CENTER

Avoid this branch if you can, I guess it doesn’t do much business.[/quote]

I like this restaurant, but I too have had stomach problems after eating at that branch. I thought maybe it was the tons of (sometimes filthy) people in the shared dining area. You’ve got so many people coming and going all day, plus loads of used plates and utensils piling up and dropped everywhere. Yuck.[/quote]Ditto. Additionally, the Vietnamese noodle place – Pho – at the same location also had me running for the can. Fire the dish washer.

I haven’t had stomach problems at the Breeze Sababa or at the Pho place (yet), but one time I did find some bones in the chicken, but was told that that was impossible. The cook was quite emphatic that I was mistaken.

I’ve been by Sababa now twice, this last time yesterday for lunch. There were maybe 3 people in the place at about 2PM with 2 staff behind the counter. I ordered cigars and a small mixed platter.

The food was great, really, tasted right to me. A little on the small side of portions - basically a large tablespoon of hummus topped by a dollop of beef, lamb, and salsa. And the two at the counter were nice though they appeared a little unhappy to be there. One didn’t seem to know what to do.

So I waited over 20 minutes (I started counting when I didn’t see the cigars appear within 5 minutes) for the main dish, 10 minutes for the cigars. I should say 1 cigar, as it was one tube cut in half. The portions were too small, I felt like I was getting shafted a little. That’s way too long, and the staff way too uncommunicative. At least two other customers came in while I was waiting, ordered carry out, got it and left, before even my 1 cigar showed up.

As I said this was my second trip. My first trip I had a pita and the place was more crowded - say 10 people for lunch, most already eating - but again it was a 15-minute wait.

Finding good quality and good tasting middle eastern food in Taipei city has been difficult, and I’ll probably give Sababa another shot - maybe a different branch? - but the slowness and the sullen staff were disappointing.

I haven’t been to the Gongguan branch in ages (I seldom head that way), but I go to the Yongkang branch quite frequently - and I’ve always had good prompt service there. The portions aren’t huge, but I think they’re good for the price, and I like the food. I love the Hummus Tel Aviv, perhaps too much, given that I seldom sample other things from the menu.

(As mentioned in other threads, the Sababa in Breeze Center has now closed and been replaced by… er… a curiously similar Middle Eastern/ Indian place.)

Well, don’t usually go to the same place twice the next day, but went to Yongkang branch this time because the food was so damned good at the Heping branch. Service was much better, food just as good, this time had a sampler (moroccan hamas, tel aviv hamas, and lebanese lamb) and a lamb shawarma pita, and a caesar salad. The salad was blah but the rest was fantastic, all of it. This time got 2 cigars and a drink for NT90 - still seems a little steep for two small fried tubes, but both tubes (one cheese one beef and nuts) were great.

Will be going back again soon, but only to Yongkang.

(Just posted this elsewhere, but it also seems appropriate in this thread:)

For those missing the Taipei Main Station Sababa: another branch has opened underground, in the mini food court that also contains a Starbucks and Yamizaki (sp?) and so on. Uh… if you’re coming up from the blue line, and walking over the HSR/ Main Station. That area. Near the underground eslite.

The seating isn’t as great as it was on the second floor, but it’s still nice to see the place back in that area.

Plus now I can get my bread shopping for bagels (at Magic Bagel) and pita shells done at the same time and in the same place.