Safety in the Longshan Temple area?

Hi all - great forum you have here! Anyways, a quick question: I just moved to Taipei and I am looking for a place for 6 months, maybe 8. There is a great room in an apartment nearby the Longshan Temple, in a good new apt at a good price. I know the area is the red light district; is it just “different” but safe? I do not plan on waling home particularly late, and I can easily Uber if I need to be late. Thank you all for the advice!

What street or lane is it on?

I don’t think there is anywhere in Taiwan I would consider dangerous, at least compared to the west. Taiwan is the sort of place where you find danger only if you are looking for it. I wouldn’t worry about it.

6 Likes

148 Guilin Road.

Thank you so much! This helps a lot!

Its safe ! there is a family night market mixed with whores!! Great place! You would enjoy it

4 Likes

I love that combo! Great, I will def go for it then if I like it in person. Thank you so much.

1 Like

The red-light lanes are really on the other side of the night market off Guangzhou Street. I would live there, it will certainly be easy to pop to the market for food! I’m sure it’ll be safe, but a lot of foot traffic coming by in the evening, if you care about that kind of thing.

4 Likes

Bird street is close bye , many many birds
For sale always interesting
Many homeless hang at the temple park, more than anywhere i gave seen in tw,good thing ximen is just around the corner. So its a great place.
I lived 2 months next to the mrt enjoyed it.
Also a strange street flea market i think on Sundays strange/sad mostly homeless and old folks selling junk

1 Like

Taiwan in general is pretty safe, but that’s a sort of sketchy area. There’s quite a bit of gang activity, but as long as you stay out of their business, they’ll usually stay out of yours. If I were a female though, I wouldn’t walk around in that area late at night.

5 Likes

That is a good point.

It’s not dangerous but its rough. Very rough.

Homeless, old lady hookers, spitting old men. Not a place i would recommend for anyone to spend time in but if you are up for it it’s all good.

My gf has lived in that area her whole life and no problems, i think its reputation is a bit exaggerated.

4 Likes

Yes they dont even sell snake soup anymore… times are changing

4 Likes

Not a problem if you’re a single guy. I wouldn’t recommend it if you have a family with kids. It’s noisier and more densely populated than other Taipei districts, and yes, the homeless and shady characters can be an issue. The nearby Bopiliao historic block, however, is a great place to visit.

2 Likes

Issue as in …?

Spend time as in? I would not hang around there necessarily, it looks a good housing chance and so I am considering, but working during the day not in that area.

I tend not to do that regardless. I am used to Uber home at night, coming from the US, and I am lucky to be able to afford it the few times I need to.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies!! I will check it out during the day and see what’s like.

I’d check it out at night too!

4 Likes

if the day scares me, then I won’t need to :laughing:

6 Likes