Safety topic: seatbelts

Especially when riding downhill on a fast turning mountain route.

I believe that’s completely true, but I don’t believe we are capable of performing it one hundred percent of the time whilst driving. Even given the enormous processing power of the human mind, I believe we are still fallible because we simply aren’t smart enough to foresee every possibility based on a given and constantly changing scenario
LOTS MORE ABOVE

Perhaps it is the one realisation that can push us all that little bit closer to reaching enlightenment?

[/quote]

I think you may be in breach of Taiwans “Don’t think too much” prime directive.

I think I was likely more in breach of Forumosa’s strict “Don’t drink and post” directive. What was I typing? Well at least nobody can argue with it if they can’t understand it, so I must have been right!

[quote=“plasmatron”]come on guys
 you’ve all been in Taiwan a long time no?..

surely you know by now, not wearing safety belts doesn’t kill people, fate kills people
 okay that’s not entirely true, fate or also maybe bad luck
 mmmmkay?..

besides, all this talking about it is putting us at risk
[/quote]

lol, i’ve been in taiwan around 10 days and have just done a few days driving about with my GF’s family for CNY. Kids aged between 6 months and 6 years sitting in cars with no seatbelts! wtf! It’s a nice 8 seater thingy with plenty of seatbelts in it and none of the kids are made to use them. Just walking about and climbing over the seats and a 6 month old in the front seat on mum’s lap and she is not wearing a seatbelt. I guess my culture shock has officially started cos that makes no sense. As soon as i got home today i searched ‘seatbelts’ on forumosa for reassurance that im not the only sane one on this island.
My first child will be born here in june and there’s no way my first born is getting into one of these carnival rides without some kind of proper baby seat.

Was great to read some of the other members posts about how they dealt with this with their in-laws.

Crazy man. How can so many people be so stupid!?

Boy killed by airbag, no seatbelt
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ 

[quote]An eight-year-old boy was killed sitting in the front seat of his father’s car while not wearing a seatbelt when a crash caused the airbags to deploy and hit him in the abdomen.

The accident happened in Miaoli County late on Thursday when the boy’s father — 58-year-old Huang Jung-yuan (é»ƒæŠźæș) — had just pulled onto Freeway No. 1 from the Sanyi (䞉矩) entrance. He was distracted by a conversation with his son Huang Jie (黃杰).

At the time of the crash, Huang Jie was propelled upward and crashed into the windshield, reportedly forcing a piece of fried chicken to block his esophagus.[/quote]

[quote]Because he had allowed a child under the age of 12 to sit in the front seat without restraint, Huang Jung-yuan faces charges of manslaughter.

When asked for comment, Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) Traffic Safety Committee Executive Secretary Hsieh Chao-yi (èŹæœć„€) said that preventative safety measures in cars and motorcycles could provide decisive protection for their operators and passengers.[/quote]

They are really on the ball as usual I see!

So, the Cabinet approved the measure of having rear seatblelts. Fine for not complying? 1500 nts. sigh

The electronic sign boards above roads are promoting rear seat belt use now. :thumbsup:

Better late than never. The regulation for mandatory use of seat belts for backseat passengers has passed.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2011/04/01/2003499651

[quote=“Captain Stag”]Better late than never. The regulation for mandatory use of seat belts for backseat passengers has passed.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2011/04/01/2003499651[/quote]

A good thing that my car doesn’t have backseats :discodance:

[quote=“iix23”][quote=“Captain Stag”]Better late than never. The regulation for mandatory use of seat belts for backseat passengers has passed.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2011/04/01/2003499651[/quote]

A good thing that my car doesn’t have backseats :discodance:[/quote]

Ta Miata est un char pour couples seulment :wink:

Ok I’ve been to China many times, and if you get in a taxi and attempt to use the seat belt the taxi driver feels offended, and that you lack confidence in his driving skill. Also I was in the back seat of my ex-wife’s friends car once, and I actually had to take the plastic on the seat belt clips. Apparently wearing rear seat belts, or any seat belts for that matter in China is actually offensive, because you’re are implying that you know more than other people, i.e. you know that wearing a seat belt is safer than not wearing one.

This all boils down to them not believing that it will happen to them. The fact is that wearing a seat belt has been proven over and over again to save lives. Why on earth this news hasn’t reached here I just don’t know.

Rear seated passengers will be required by statute to wear seat belts in Taiwan after another two months or so.

Well it’s about fucking time. I wonder how much longer it’ll take for people to actually start doing it.

[quote=“ninman”]

Well it’s about fucking time. I wonder how much longer it’ll take for people to actually start doing it.[/quote]

Maybe when you have become an Taiwan citizen and run the country. But hey what do you care, your just another foreigner visiting this land. After all you have been giving lip to people about some bollocks story that points on a UK drivers licence equates to having a criminal record, which it doesn’t. Not to say that some traffic offences are not criminal but by then you would have had your licence revoked anyways.

Anyways you’ll be safe in the back of any car without seatbelts. Your British, and we don’t go around killing Brits in the backs of cars in this country, we just run them over on sight. :smiley:

I’ve been wearing seat belts since I started driving here and had passengers in the back buckle up as well. People just need to be told, buckle up or get out and walk.

You were here for that. That was terrible how they showed on the news the crushed people in the taxi with the crane still on the car.[/quote]

Back in the early 90’s at some highway stops they had a picture of a Merc that had been driven up the emergency lane by a chap with his 4 friends in the car as well. They were doing over 200kmh on a curve and couldn’t slow down in time nor get back on the main lanes which were in a traffic jam and rear ended a stationery long haul truck trailor hauling heavy metal.

Rammed right up the rear end of that truck at about window seat height and decapitated all 5 passengers. The had large graphic posters of that accident in a lot of rest areas to try and prevent people from driving up the emergency lanes which was a common sight. Sure was fun trying to eat your food with a 10ft poster of that in the rest areas.

[quote=“ninman”]Ok I’ve been to China many times, and if you get in a taxi and attempt to use the seat belt the taxi driver feels offended, and that you lack confidence in his driving skill. Also I was in the back seat of my ex-wife’s friends car once, and I actually had to take the plastic on the seat belt clips. Apparently wearing rear seat belts, or any seat belts for that matter in China is actually offensive, because you’re are implying that you know more than other people, i.e. you know that wearing a seat belt is safer than not wearing one.

This all boils down to them not believing that it will happen to them. The fact is that wearing a seat belt has been proven over and over again to save lives. Why on earth this news hasn’t reached here I just don’t know.[/quote]

what are you talking about? Taxi drivers in the big cities in China (GZ, SZ, SH, BJ, etc.) usually tell you to put on your seat belt if you are sitting in the front seat. No seatbelts in the back of course, but Taiwan is the same. So is Canada (last time I checked).

ninman if you’ve been to China so “many times”, why are you so furiously offended by the traffic in Taiwan? I lived in Guangzhou for 3 years before coming back to Taiwan 5 years ago and haven’t complained about the traffic here since. Sure I swear at other drivers when I am at the wheel, but I do the same thing in Canada. Driving here seems pretty good to me. Not as good as some places (the UK maybe?) but much better than others (China, Vietnam, etc.)

Can Mitsubishi Delica 4x4’s be fitted with shoulder-strap rear seatbelts in Taiwan? I know Japanese models (at least the Exceed on up) have them but the local CMC models dont have any seatbelts at all in back.

Thinking about getting one if we move South next year as they seem like they would be easy to source parts for and would make a nice cheap camping rig to supplement whatever boring practical car we end up getting next (March, Sentra or whatever).

How long have you been out of Canada? I left Canada last year and before that travelled extensively for my job. In every case where I took a cab seat belts were available in the back seats. I also spent most of March in Vancouver and again every cab I took had seat belts in the back. We even drove through a seat belt check and yes I was checked as well. Granted in some cases the fastener end was stuck under the seat but, pulling it out took about 2 seconds.

How long have you been out of Canada? I left Canada last year and before that travelled extensively for my job. In every case where I took a cab seat belts were available in the back seats. I also spent most of March in Vancouver and again every cab I took had seat belts in the back. We even drove through a seat belt check and yes I was checked as well. Granted in some cases the fastener end was stuck under the seat but, pulling it out took about 2 seconds.[/quote][/quote]

hee hee. about 10 years now I guess
 great white north continues to evolve. Too bad the government can’t do anything about the weather.