Sail around the world

Loretta says well done on your safe return 'n stuff. He’s on the naughty step.

As I mentioned, we are having adventures in reading class, Broon. We’re reading about other peoples adventures and planning our own–and now, plotting the course of yours! My kiddos were, indeed, quite impressed with your account and very interested in using the information you provided to map out your adventure. These kiddos have only the slightest concept of geography, so they are learning a great deal, doing all sorts of higher level thinking, and having a great time. Thanks! Very, very glad you lived to tell the tale!

Broon - are you using a professional trip/weather planner are you using? No guarantees, but helps.

I have a few aids to planning on the PC as well as pilot charts, the Admiralty’s Ocean Passages For The World and cruising guides and get weather information through the SSB (sailmail) in the form of GRIB files and Spot forecasts and also the forecasts issued by NOAA. But, they are indicative but like all weather as the guy who gave us a tow into Cabo said “at the end of the day, it’s a crap shoot”. I certainly have a greater respect for the possibility of glaring inaccuracies in weather forecasting. For example, yesterday it was forecast to be W to SW less than 5kts with seas 1 feet around here but at Isla Partida about 25 NM away, it was blowing 15 to 20 from the NW.

It’s 11 a.m. and time for a beer…

BroonAboard

“reef” surely??? :smiley:

BroonAfloat

For sure. The liquor cabinet is the best home entertainment system there is.

In the past my family used route planners with some success for New England - Bermuda or Tortola passages and on occasion to the UK or Med. YMMV. Usually they have some proprietary forecasting method (dowsing rod…voodoo doll…magic 8 ball), unavailable to us. However once or twice the advice given was very, very, off which led to some excitement. However, I’ve not done very much on the left coast…

Nowadays I’m enjoying my new, (to me at least), SB3 in Singalore. Hot and 8-12kts most every day.

Checked out of Mexico, leaving within 48 hours for the Marquesas and will be trying this again although El Nino is having profound effects on weather patterns throughout the area to be travelled through.

The boat is in good shape and everything at the moment seems to be working including a newly-installed watermaker.

Progress can be tracked on: pangolin.co.nz/yotreps/reporter_list.php

Callsign: mpvl8

Next stop: Nuku Hiva…hopefully.

Bye.

BroonAgain

Here’s to smooth seas and rough women, Cap.

Happy Sails to you.

zenderArmchairtraveler

Keep the wind on your cheek and a bone in her teeth. Best of luck to ye, youth.

Good luck, post pics.

Damn, Mr He! You just never get tired of Mexican donkey sex photos, do you?

Wow, I was just making a TJ donkey show reference to housecat like 20 minutes ago, I’m not kidding, how bizarre.

The day that Senor He gets tired of Mexican donkey sex photos, well, then I guess the terrorists have won, wouldn’t you say???

Ohhhh, a water maker. Very posh. No two cups a day rations for you!

Uh Oh…

Sounds like all are okay…fingers crossed…

Poor bob.

Everyone is OK, great, hope it was insured.

Wow, I’m glad they’re OK. :bravo:

I was just thinking of Bob, as I’m halfway through Adrift, a terrific account of an experienced sailor who was sailing solo across the Pacific when suddenly one night as he was sleeping there was a tremendous SLAM as something collided with the boat, several hundred miles from shore, he lept to his feet, water was rushing in and was already waist deep, and he had just a minute to grab his inflatable raft, a few rations, and exit before his boat upended and sank, and he spent the next 76 days drifting in his raft, constantly rationing his puny water supply, counting the days till it would run out and he would die, and having sharks ram into the bottom of the raft and chew on it from time to time. His boat was probably sunk by a whale, as he and lots of other sailors hit whales fairly frequently, sometimes sinking their boats, as the immense whale feeds for plankton on the surface and the collision of the two will devastate the boat but hardly be felt by the whale.
amazon.com/Adrift-Seventy-si … pd_sim_b_8

Anyway, really sorry about the boat and the end to the trip Bob, but I’m very happy to hear you were rescued OK. Don’t worry, you’ll be back on your feet and sailing again before you know it. :slight_smile:

Oh, man! Wonder what happened. May 12th was a while ago.

Just glad to hear that all survived.

zenderAreyaoutthere?

Very prescient. Or was it a Scots curse?

He’s probably not feeling too happy right now, but hell! He’s having ADVENTURES! No quiet desperation for that laddie. Grab it by the balls and give it a damn good swing. I envy him.