Sailing in Taiwan

No…of course you have to have the courtesy flag. You’ve even flown it off the correct shroud. And the comment wasn’t directed against the Corsican flag anyway…only one flag rules the waves

Well we checked carefully but there wasn’t a Liberian one in the flag locker. :wink:

Pity that.

HI I USED TO SAIL IN AUSTRALIA, CAN ANYONE PLS PUT ME N TOUCH WITH SAILING ASSOC HERE, MAYE IN KEELUNG, WHAT IS THE SCENE LIKE. THANKS IN ADVANCE FROM THE ‘DRUNKEN SAILOR’

find Loretta on this site. I believe he would know.

Please don’t write in caps. It’s bad form and against the rules. Thanks.

Some important news for sailing types in Taiwan, or interested in visiting.

Yesterday saw an important first: We were able to go out day-sailing without any hassle, and without having to apply for a sailing permit first, in a foreign-registered yacht.

It’s has taken two years, but it appears that now the bureaucratic resistance has finally crumbled and a precedent has been established that will make it easier for others in the future. Three cheers for bloody-minded persistence. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

We basically have a cruising permit which allows us to operate from approximately 19 fishing harbours around Taiwan, although cruising permits don’t yet exist in Taiwan - yet. Changes are in the works, due to efforts of Taipei Offshore Sailing Association, which has been working with the tourist authority. Pretty soon any visiting yacht should be able to explore Taiwan free from excessive bureaucratic nonsense. Nothing is 100% sure until it’s happened, but it seems likely that Taiwan is finally going to open up to international sailing.

I’ll have details in the next few days, but only in Chinese. Is anyone able to help with translating and posting this info here?

Congrats in the long war against senseless burocracy. :notworthy:

Possibly one day I could own a yatch here

NEWS!! NEWS!!! NEWS!!! NEWS!!

I met a guy yesterday who is the President of Baishawan Sailing Club. Never heard of it? Neither had I, but they have 3 Hobies sitting around unused.

Contact Hugues at bta@ms1.hinet.net for more information. He’s a nice guy and just wants to see his boats being used.

So what’s new with this boating stuff in Taiwan? I don’t know how to but would like to learn. I was in Orchid Island last week and was sure I saw a few pleasure craft (so, I didn’t think of taking pics at the time). The one I saw (and imagined myself owning :wink: ) looked kind of like this –

How cool would it be to have access to a real marina on this island?

Sailing in Taiwan…I think unfortunately it s definitly not the right place. But I would like to sail …on a sailing boat…)
However, I have met this winter a very nice chap (Lorenzo Fang) in Da li in front of Danshui.There are several sailing dinghies for rental.But is it funny to sail on Danshui river?? www.sailingclub.com.tw

Somewhere in Yilan area I have discovered a J 21 WOW…but no infos

Last year a friend of mine has chartered a Oceanis Beneteau 40 foot in Peng Hu,but she had no sailing experience, so she could not tell me if skipper was OK or not.

Thanks in advance for infos

Was in Anping in Tainan recently so a lot of people sailing those 1 man jobbies…

Yeah, I can’t afford anything but those anyway, now that I’ve had a double-check at my finances. I just think it would be soooooo cool if Taiwan had working pleasure craft marinas – more care to the coastal environment, and so on.

I can dream, can’t I?