Sailing opportunity

Just received this from Captain Kao. He’s the Taiwanese guy who sailed single-handed from San Diego to Taiwan last year.

[quote]To sailors:

Marc has a 36" sailboat docking in Keelung Bisa harbor(碧砂漁港), he bought this sailboat from Japan

and sail back to Taiwan in this month, now he is going to move his sailboat to Kaohsiung next week.

they are just only two persons, Does anyone has interest to help Marc sailing to Kaohsiung?.

Marc is a Canadian, but speak Chinese very well.

if you have any interesting, please contact with Marc

e-mail: id.sportdesign [at] gmail.com

Kao阿亮[/quote]

I wish he was sailing from the states. I’d love to come over on a sailboat. Has anyone ever done that? I’ve heard a lot of people start in Florida, go thru the carribean past panama and the Galapagos and onto NZ. What a trip!

Sorry, all crew members are required to have a basic ability in the use of upper-case letters. And I’m afraid that people who insult my country with the abbreviated form of N.Z. get to walk the plank. :imp:
(Bloody hell, you didn’t even separate the “N” and “Z” with periods (full stops).

[quote=“almas john”]
(Bloody hell, you didn’t even separate the “N” and “Z” with periods (full stops).[/quote]

No wimmin round 'ere, y’see.

So, will he be wandering along the coast w/a remote control or something? Why does he need more people for something so small? :stuck_out_tongue:

Not all that familiar with sailing, but have been on a few boats before & have nothing better to do. Sounds like a fun way to spend a few days!

let me organise a few days off work… the weather looks stable enough for the next week.

woohoo.

I believe he’s planning to set off on the evening of 31 October, arriving down south on 2 Nov. I have classes Friday night and Sat morn that I doubt I can reschedule. Bugger! I’m going to try and persuade him to hold back until Sat afternoon.

I’m 80% probably going. I think Cruising Life is in too, and my Turkish mate is also up for it. I bet that by next week there will be too many volunteers and the skipper will be throwing people overboard. Better get some rum!

[quote]No worries if you are not available.
Aliang asked me yesterday if I needed some help for the delivery … So far, we are only 2 guys. So 1 or 2 extra sailors would be welcomed.
I wanted to do the delivery this weekend but the weather forecast was going to be strong NE winds in the Straight.
Looks like the weather guys were totally wrong and this was a good time to sail south.

My boat is currently in Bisha Harbor, I plan to sail from Keelung on Oct.31 evening - Arrival in Kaohsiung Nov.2nd afternoon.
Total around 210 NM … it will take us 30-40hrs.

No pressure … If you feel like it, you are welcome to join.

I am off to Thailand Monday night … I am back on Thursday night.
Drop me a mail if you are interested.
Keep in touch.[/quote]

You have to love Taiwan.

I reschedule my entire weekend, arrange a foster home for the little brown furry guy, run around like an idiot getting stressed to hell trying to finish everything I need to finish before the weekend, … and then six hours before sailing we get told that due to insufficient paperwork we will not be able to leave the harbour today. Next week, maybe.

It’s a little known, and often overlooked fact, but boats are not permitted to leave port in Taiwan until after the completion of paperwork equal in weight to the boat, gear, fuel, crew and everything else on board.

Sigh.

especially if owned by a bignose.

somehow i think the law is not observed by most vessels (fishing boats in particular).

Obviously, bignoses pose a bigger security risk. We don’t have family on the other side of the straits, or a tradition of informal trade with the mainland going back hundreds of years.

Actually, I know that Taiwanesers have huge difficulties with licensing, etc., for boats like this. The law, and enforcement thereof, is asinine in a dispassionate way. Everyone gets fucked around equally. And in this case, there is an added complication that a foreigner is importing a boat, not just visiting.

It looks like rain next weekend. It’s going to be a fun trip.

And no sooner have I hit submit than I get a mail from Cruising Life. She’s going to Okinawa next weekend to join another boat that is on it’s way here. This is brilliant. More boats!

[quote=“Loretta”]You have to love Taiwan.

I reschedule my entire weekend, arrange a foster home for the little brown furry guy, run around like an idiot getting stressed to hell trying to finish everything I need to finish before the weekend, … and then six hours before sailing we get told that due to insufficient paperwork we will not be able to leave the harbour today. Next week, maybe.

It’s a little known, and often overlooked fact, but boats are not permitted to leave port in Taiwan until after the completion of paperwork equal in weight to the boat, gear, fuel, crew and everything else on board.

Sigh.[/quote]

It’s ironic. It’s easier to sail in China than Taiwan, (windsurfing excepted).

I know it’s easy to sail in Hong Kong, but I thought it was equally tough in the rest of China. Can you share what you know, for reference?

More info:

The boat is a Mumm 36 fitted for racing - Carbon sails! - and will be based in Gaoxiong.

No sailing this weekend. Big front coming through bringing lots of wind and this is a light boat. Try again on the 14th.

I heard there was a Mum in Taiwan. Nice boat.

In Xiamen there is a fleet of FT10s. This weekend is the finals for the China Club Cup. 2 weekends ago was the China Cup on Beneteaus in Shenzhen. Next week the dealers for the j80 have gotten a regatta together.You can sail every weekend in dingy’s in Dianshan lake plus there are some Platu 25’s on the lake. I sail every weekend all year round.

So, lots of sailing; though maybe not on the same level as HKG, which is really world class.

[quote=“Elegua”]I heard there was a Mum in Taiwan. Nice boat.

In Xiamen there is a fleet of FT10s. This weekend is the finals for the China Club Cup. 2 weekends ago was the China Cup on Beneteaus in Shenzhen. Next week the dealers for the j80 have gotten a regatta together.You can sail every weekend in dingy’s in Dianshan lake plus there are some Platu 25’s on the lake. I sail every weekend all year round.

So, lots of sailing; though maybe not on the same level as HKG, which is really world class.[/quote]

Wow!

Is it all lake sailing? I haven’t heard of anyone getting into the salty stuff. Not that lake sailing in Taiwan is any easier. I don’t know of anyone getting out on inland waters here.

Xiamen & Shenzhen is all salty stuff. In Xiamen you can sail out of the harbor over to Xiao Jinmen and wave back at Taiwan.

Yummy, a fast skinny boat with lots of sail.

no pansy carpet belowdecks, either, I’m guessing. and a galley that’s a single burner on gimbals too… good for reheating a pot of curry if you’re lucky.

just as well there’s no trip next weekend, it’d be miserable.

It’s not going to be fun if you’re going anyway. I volunteered you for barnacle scraping, by the way.