Salary and cost of living in Taiwan

Hi people, this is my first post so please be nice to me… :newbie:

I’m a second year undergrad student in the UK, and I’m considering teaching English in Taiwan (mainly because from my experience, China is too polluted/commie/crazy, Korea is too xenophobic and stressful, and Japan is too expensive as a place to live).

I’ve been lurking here for a while, and I’ve heard some suggestion that wages in general and for TEFL teachers in Taiwan in particular are FALLING, though, and this naturally makes me wonder if Taiwan is actually such a great idea with mounting inflation and such like. I’ve talked to quite a few Taiwanese, and I really like the sound of the place, but was looking for more of an idea of what Taiwan is like from an expat’s perspective re: the cost of living.

Maybe this could also go under “Teaching in Taiwan” but I’d appreciate responses to my question from non-English teachers as well.

Thanks. :bow:

Cost of living is reasonable here, for example in USD:

bus ride - 50cents
lunch box - US$2
haircut - $5
rent 3br/2ba in Xindian - US$645/mo

Or in pounds - say 50nt to the pound for easy maths

rent in centre of Taipei - NTD12-15k = 240-300ukp pcm + 2month deposit (i could be out of touch on those figures)
Lunch box - 70nt = 1.50
Tube min fare 25nt = 50p max 75nt = 1.50
bus 15nt = you do the math
local beer at 7-11 - 50nt per 600ml bottle - 1 pound
Imported beer in expat bar per pint 150-200nt - 3-4ukp
haircut - 100 -200nt = 2-4 ukp

If you come here with a few quid in you’re pocket you’ll be surprised how cheap things are here.

Dont let the first psycho hsiaochieh get you. Go for the second or third for more options?