Salary for product test engineer

[color=#0000BF]
Hello forumer’s,

Please share your thoughts about the salary of a product test engineer that would be bound to Hsinchu Taiwan,

The employer Amkor Taiwan was only giving me a base pay of NTD23,000 plus NTD1,000 for transporation.
I am a filipino with 8 years working experience already in semiconductor industry, would this salary aligned in the current market condition of Taiwan.
If not, what is the minimum acceptable salary for this position? considering that I need to pay broker’s fee, taxes, have a monthly deductions also.

thanks in advance[/color]

No, it’s not acceptable. You’re being offered less pay than someone fresh out of college at a simple administrative job. You should be earning at least two to four times that amount plus bonus.

Tell Amkor to go to hell. They should know better.

NT$ 23,000 per month for somebody with 8 years experience? :astonished: That’s just a few thousand above the minimum wage.

That’s obviously their not their best offer and they’re expecting you to negotiate?

Like Spaint said, these guys are taking the piss. :no-no:

[color=#0000BF]
actually, I tell them that my expected salary is 40 - 50K plus shifting allowance, but the HR told me that it is according to the company rule and they don’t know if the hiring manager would break the rule just to compensate my asking salary.

up to now the HR is not giving feedback to me.[/color]

[quote=“spaint”]No, it’s not acceptable. You’re being offered less pay than someone fresh out of college at a simple administrative job. You should be earning at least two to four times that amount plus bonus.

Tell Amkor to go to hell. They should know better.[/quote]

What is your education level? Elec or mech? If you have a BSME and no experience, I would say 35k + bonus. 8 years experience?..depends on what, “semiconductor” is broad. Are you an equipment engineer for photo, etch, diffusion, thin film? Then 50k + bonus might be reasonable.

I don’t know of anyone paying 100k (guaranteed cash) for non-managerial equipment engineering work so I think 4x might be a stretch.

[quote=“shooters”][color=#0000BF]
actually, I tell them that my expected salary is 40 - 50K plus shifting allowance, but the HR told me that it is according to the company rule and they don’t know if the hiring manager would break the rule just to compensate my asking salary.

up to now the HR is not giving feedback to me.[/color][/quote]

Sounds like a bunch of cheapskates to me. :thumbsdown:

The ‘company rule’ and ‘break the rule’ are classic negotiation techniques. It’s a rule right? We know rules must be followed, right? Look it’s here, in writing, in the rules, the starting salary is NT23,000. We can’t break the rules, can we? :unamused:

Shooters, it looks to me as if this company is looking down on you, like they see you as a qualified, experienced ‘blue-collar worker’. I bad start I would say.

I don’t mean to offend you in any way. Just be careful and best of luck.

[quote=“shooters”]What is your education level? Elec or mech? If you have a BSME and no experience, I would say 35k + bonus. 8 years experience?..depends on what, “semiconductor” is broad. Are you an equipment engineer for photo, etch, diffusion, thin film? Then 50k + bonus might be reasonable.

I don’t know of anyone paying 100k (guaranteed cash) for non-managerial equipment engineering work so I think 4x might be a stretch.[/quote]

[color=#0000BF]I am a BSECE graduate with 8 years experience in Final and Wafer Testing.
Still, i’m waiting for their response if we dont both agree on the offer then I would decline.
[/color]

I don’t know anything about Taiwan salaries for product test engineers, but I have worked in Taiwan for 10 years (as a tech lawyer) and here are my gut feelings.

a. NT$23,000 is definitely way too low – stick firmly to your $50K demand. Be calm and professional but firm. In the end, don’t accept less than $40-45K.

b. Taiwan employers are serious cheap bastards. It’s definitely a negotiation tactic and not a final offer; they are trying to bargain you down as cheap as possible. Don’t expect fairness, compassion, good faith, etc from a Taiwan employer. Expect them to try to guage everyone possible (somewhat understandable given their undoubtedly extremely slim profit margins, but still a pain in the ass to deal with).

c. Notwithstanding that it’s a negotiation tactic on their part, Taiwanese earn crap wages and employers expect their employees to take the crap wages and crap conditions, without complaining or negotiation.

d. Taiwanese are especially accustomed to taking advantage of Thais, Filipinos, Vietnamese, etc., as housekeepers, nannies, laborers, etc., using them and abusing them as lower level beings whom they don’t see as equal to Taiwanese. Whities from the West are different; they can be strong and demanding and the Taiwanese employer may feel compelled to give in to them somewhat, but the Taiwanese employer may expect to take advantage of brown-skinned workers and may not recognize how unfair and prejudiced they are.

Just my :2cents:

Good luck.

thanks so much Mother Theresa for your wonderful advice. I would definitely not accept that crap salary.

Shooters, call me. I’m looking for a wafer test engineer. The pay is MUCH better than 23K, I can tell you right now. 02 2659 8287 ext. 16.

Hello spaint, I’m still in the Philippines and currently employed in STMicroelectronics. May I know what name of your company and what nationality you are?

thanks,

Hello spaint, I’m still in the Philippines and currently employed in STMicroelectronics. May I know what name of your company and what nationality you are?

thanks,[/quote]

I’m sending you a (second) PM. Please check your mailbox.

thanks,[/quote]

Spaint - I forward already my CV to your email

[quote=“shooters”][color=#0000BF]

up to now the HR is not giving feedback to me.[/color][/quote]

That’s BS, it’s a negotiating tactic, if you can get any contact with your actual potential manager that would be a way to by-pass HR.