Salary negotiations for a critical foreign tech expert

. Taiwanese have deep down respect for American business in their blood. It’s a message don’t play cheap tricks with me because I come from X country.

+1

But thinking about this for a while longer, you should probably start with 400-450K. But make it clear you also want to know what they were thinking, because you really have never worked in Taiwan before.

Then settle on 350K-370K or so. I am not sure about the profit sharing or whether that will be an option.

I do not think anybody will be offended, but if they think you are asking too high they might just ghost you. It is better to ask too high than too low in general.

1 Like

+make it clear you expect that as a starting wage. which easier wiggle room for raises soon after in their heads.

Even if it is niche, there are probably .loads of people in similar positions (different fields) for equally large companies. it would really be worth going into negotiations with a general sense of what those people make. It is hard to know exactly what the job entails. but 100k to a few million a month would seem very possible depending on the job.

I think if the job is huge and you are responsible for it (eg. can be liable, fired etc if one wire malfunctions) and its opening markets worth billions, they will likely not respect you if your asking wage is too low for what they know to be the standard range. If they expected to pay you 700k/month and you walked in talking about Taiwan is cheaper to live so I can accept no lower than 200k/m. imagine what they are thinking. it shows them you arent ready for the job in my opinion.

1 Like