Sales or Discounts in Taiwan stores

when i go to a store and see there are sales, i see numbers like, 1, 2, 3… even saw 8.5 just today. what do these numbers mean? how do you calculate the price?

It’s backwards here, so 85 means you get 15% off, dunno why they write it like that, but it’s how it works here.
So if it’s 15, it’s 85% off…

I was always very confused by this, too, until the day I bought my wonderful ruby-red “there’s not place like home” Dorathy slippers. They were 10,000 NT and on sale by a factor of 1. I paid just a thousand for them. I can’t TELL you how I loved those shoes!! A) They were awsome shoes, and B) They were 90% off!! I wore them with everything whether they “went” or not, and even wrote my own, pathetically sexless, “Red Shoe Diary.” After that that day, my shopping pleasure in Taiwan was much enhanced! That memory still brings a smile to my face, even though I don’t have the shoes any longer.

wait, so the shoes were 10,000 and the sale was 90% discount? woooow

so if it says 2 on the sign, then 100-20 = 80% discount? did i do that right?

[quote=“Aestas”]
so if it says 2 on the sign, then 100-20 = 80% discount? did I do that right?[/quote]
Yes, that’s correct. Normally it’s stated with the first Chinese character for discount (折), see an example here:

But be aware when you get told the discount, after I just arrived I went to buy something from a department store and the sales lady told me “90% off”. What she meant was that it was selling at 90% of the original price, i.e. 10% off. I don’t think it was intentionally though, her English was virtually non-existant and I figured it out before paying (I did buy the thing anyway).

Asia World is having a going out of business sale. It was very crowded today. They will remodel it next year.

It’s very simple…do what I do…when you see these numbers like 7折, 8折 or 9折…it simply means “x”% [color=#0000BF]of the Original Price[/color] e.g 7折 means 70% of the Original Price…If Original price is NT$1000, then 7折 means 70% of 1000 = NT$700 (or a 30% discount)

wait, so the shoes were 10,000 and the sale was 90% discount? woooow

so if it says 2 on the sign, then 100-20 = 80% discount? did I do that right?[/quote]

No, it’s the other way. If you see the “折” folowed by a number, it means that you pay that much per cent of the original price.
7折 on NT$1000, you pay NT$700.
It’s like when they say you get 15 months’ bonus at CNY, it means you get 3 months’ pay as your bonus.
This somehow relates to the similar horseshit of saying “We get 4 days’ holiday for Dragon Boat!”, but there’s a weekend in there and we have to make up the one day, so we really only get one day. But “We get 4 days’ holiday for Dragon Boat!” just…feels better…
It sounds like math but it’s not.
It’s some kind of usage made up during the feudal years (as opposed to, what, now???) to lull the innumerate masses into less awareness of exactly how bad the Man was fucking them…

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“Aestas”]wait, so the shoes were 10,000 and the sale was 90% discount? woooow

No, it’s the other way. If you see the “折” folowed by a number, it means that you pay that much per cent of the original price.
7折 on NT$1000, you pay NT$700.
It’s like when they say you get 15 months’ bonus at CNY, it means you get 3 months’ pay as your bonus.
This somehow relates to the similar horseshit of saying “We get 4 days’ holiday for Dragon Boat!”, but there’s a weekend in there and we have to make up the one day, so we really only get one day. But “We get 4 days’ holiday for Dragon Boat!” just…feels better…
It sounds like math but it’s not.
It’s some kind of usage made up during the feudal years (as opposed to, what, now???) to lull the innumerate masses into less awareness of exactly how bad the Man was fucking them…[/quote]

That’s the same thing, baby.

If it says 7 on the sign, then 100-70= 30% discount. See? It’s okay. I only understand this because I have my own personal math that makes no sense to anyone else in world. Well maybe Aestas would get my math, but he/she’d be the first.

What they often do is take the reasonable price for an item, say NT$1000, then they multiply it times ten or twenty – giving you an obscene price tag of, say, NT$20,000. Then they put up a sign saying 1 折, (i.e. 10% of original price, or a whopping 90% off. So the price you pay is NT$2000, which is still twice the reasonable price. :loco:

When I see signs like that, I just think “original price of NT$20,000”? Do we LOOK stupid? And then I go shop somewhere else.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What they often do is take the reasonable price for an item, say NT$1000, then they multiply it times ten or twenty – giving you an obscene price tag of, say, NT$20,000. Then they put up a sign saying 1 折, (i.e. 10% of original price, or a whopping 90% off. So the price you pay is NT$2000, which is still twice the reasonable price. :loco:

When I see signs like that, I just think “original price of NT$20,000”? Do we LOOK stupid? And then I go shop somewhere else.[/quote]

That sounds like what most liquidators do though - mark up the price then slash discounts on it.