Salmon Sushi Shortage Taiwan

The old Victorian tape worm diet.

2 Likes

I am confused. Norwegian salmon IS the garbage shit salmon we are “digesting” lol. Whats your point?

Unless you are paying super high top dollar for endangered wild salmon luxuries, its all farmed garbage.

2 Likes

Yeah probably less than 1% is wild salmon and you would pay huge prices for it.

I also play a mean banjo …

Mind you I sold all three of them before we left Canada!!!

1 Like

Yep, but unfortunately these salmons are the majority of what we can get and are served at the sushi restaurants. (I cure mine so the flavor is more evident and flesh is firmer) I could go all out and get luxury brand salmon from Japan (which I REALLY want to try), but they are so pricy that you can only find them at super high-end sushi bars.

I saw some special trouts (Norwegian Fjord trouts) in the fish market a while back when I was observing. If I ever come across that again, I’m definitely trying.

Just got a text, now it is $700nt per kilo. That is pricier than fresh tuna. No wonder places aren’t serving them…

1 Like

It didn’t appear to be in short supply or unusually expensive at Jason’s a few days ago.

Searched and true. I wonder besides Salmon , other fish or meat has it

2 Likes

I’m guessing that you buy whole fish.

Tape worms arent really rare or unknown. They are great for losing weight. Not a salmon problem per se. I liked south parks take on t.

Eat sushi get worms occasionaly. Eat chinese, gonna have some dog in a meal or 2.

1 Like

I’ll…stick with Keto…

To each their own. Sushi express is only $30nt…some people are on a budget.

I think raw fish is supposed to be frozen at like -40c for at least 3 days to kill any parasite, otherwise it’s not safe to eat raw. And don’t even think about eating freshwater fish raw. You want to cook those REAL well.

1 Like

Only if one is scared of one’s own shadow.

I’ve eaten raw fish for thirty plus years and I’m not dea…

4 Likes

Then its not fresh. Have you ever eaten river outlet ditch water filters fresh? I mean oysters.

1 Like

It’s because the freezing kills parasite eggs…

Yes, obviously. But that equals not fresh. Thus…ever eaten the ocean filters fresh before? Its “famous” in Tainan haha.

1 Like

Yup, I have a small sushi shop/food truck up and running. I haven’t advertised much yet and I will keep it quiet for now.

(I’ve stated here a while ago, but I used to be a GM for a high volume sushi restaurant back in states.)

And yes, you have to freeze the fish at least 24 hours under -20 degree celcious or lower to kill parasites. Actually, properly frozen seafood tastes just as good as fresh. When the fish gets frozen past -40 degrees or lower, the cells don’t break down.

The problem is that not many shops carry blast freezers or have freezers that go lower than -20 degrees Celsius.

Or you can import fish from vendors that have safe environent for their farmed fish. Most Japanese fish imported from the market are usually safe, unless the fish is caught wild (like mackerel).

Lots of fish that are served raw here are usually parasite free. Salmons, tunas, and sowrdfish are the staples here.

And yes, I’d stay away from local oysters unless fully cooked. I’ve gotten deadly sick from those all you can grill oyster places.

6 Likes

In case it’s not too far from Taipei/Nangang I’m very much looking forward to try it out. Good luck with your venture!

(I’m currently waiting for my Sushi take-out to be finished :beers: man I’ll miss Sushi if I ever have to return home to Europe)

1 Like

-20C is enough

Because big ice crystals don’t form and destroy them.