Salmon Sushi Shortage Taiwan

I guess I’ve been pretty outdated.
Back then, Atlantic salmon (mostly farm raised in Canada and Scotland) were prone to parasites even though it is farmed. Mostly, the farm conditions were poor, and fish that came from such were not clean.

Atlantic salmon is type of salmon, and Norwegian is still Atlantic salmon but farmed in Norway.

My company that I worked for (going back 10-12 years) was once sued by a customer for parasite-induced hospitalization and our Atlantic salmon (farmed in Canada, I believe) was to blame. After this, we ordered our vendors to freeze the salmon before delivering to our stores.

I remembered back then when Costco salmons (mostly North American farmed Atlantic salmons) were packaged with the warning that it is not recommended for raw consumption. (Not sushi grade)

With that said, the condition has improved and most salmons you see are now all pretty darn safe.

In fact, Norwegian salmon has been getting bad names for not being environmentally friendly nor sustainable in terms of farming.

I wish we had choices for different salmons here.
We had Alaskan Sockeye, and occasionally King salmon. Very different in flavors.

I guess this is what I get for not staying up to date.
Regardless, what’s most important is that they are all “relatively” safe for raw consumption. I guess the magic word is “Sushi grade.”

I cure my salmon and blast freeze (-40 to -45C degrees) for flavor and safety. Once lightly cured, they last months in freezer without sacrificing the flavor or freshness.

3 Likes

Interesting thanks! I remember way back when my area of origin (coastal BC) was well known for parasites. As well as chemicals, high pollution rates etc. Was a pretty bad story for a bit. Having a sushi grade makes sense, implies safe raw.

What does curing mean in this sense?

2 Likes

Curing is a broad term, but in Japanese terms (called “shi me (may)),” it is to lightly salt the fish fillet to take excess water out. These moisture are the main culprit for their fishy smell and impurities. The key term is “lightly” since it can make the fish salty.

2 Likes

Cheers, that makes sense. Is it aged at all? Perhaps this could be similar to saying lightly brined? I guess they dont dissolve the salt in a liquid though. Just lightly “dust” it?

2 Likes

There is a technic where you evenly dust the salt over the fish. Japanese people usually measure your cooking skill by how you can evenly salt the fish. This is one of the classical Japanese cooking methods glorified on cooking shows and documentaries you see on youtube.

Heck, even Saltbae is popular because of how he pours the salt over his food :joy:

Generally, brining is not often used with fish for sushi, but some fish could be marinated with vinegar mixtures for different applications.

Aging is different in sushi terms. In Japan, aging fish for raw consumption has gotten very popular recently. There is a new method to take all the blood and nerves out of the fish right off the water, allowing the flesh to age without rotting. (I have this device, but I haven’t tried it…) Aging allows the meat to soften a bit, and flavors will intensify. This method will take some training and a deep understanding of how the aging process works.

4 Likes

Thats fascinating.

I am particularly interested in learning about this:

Is there a name for that processing term in English?

It’s called “Tsumoto Shiki.”

Now that appropriate time is coming up, I’ll slowly add some 'shameless plug" here.
If you’re in southern Taiwan, please feel free to visit my truck. I’ve ordered interesting summer limited Japanese Sake bottles that’s really hard to find anywhere in island, and I’m planning to revamp my menu soon.

3 Likes

Cheers, look forward to trying that sake if its still around. no plans for Tainan currently, but in September. Are you mobile, or always setup shop in the same spot?

2 Likes

I’ve walked by many times but never stop. It’s now on my list.

Thanks for mentioning it.

2 Likes

At this moment, I have no plans to move around. I’ll be honest, it’s super stressful but rewarding at times. Every single time we open, we learn something…for better or worse.:rofl:

4 Likes

in Europe cured salmon is called gravlax, i have also made it here. its very tasty, and easy for beginners.

I saw you imported Sake, maybe could use help to import drinks from Northern EU, see
🇪🇺 Europe | Choosing last country on European trip - #111 by DKaoshuing )

I will be back in my Kaoshuing home after some family visits in Hawaii and Japan , get up to Tainan visit your place in there!

2 Likes

I prefer Lox to Gravlax, that is even easier it uses just salt brine not the salt and sugar, but I would still go for a cold smoked over the two.

yes,only cold smoked is more difficult to do in your home kitchen.

That would defiantly set off the smoke alarm, you can make a nice Gravlax with sea bass or swap out the vodka for whisky.
A Norwegian bloke in my accommodation at uni cured a side of salmon every week using beetroot. they would sell it in the sandwich shop he worked in at weekend. if you ever have chance you should give it a go. It tases and looks amazing a deep purple going to bright orange in the middle, but it did turn the blender purple too.

your truck?

2 Likes

Yes! Been operating for about 1 year now. We’re open just on Friday and Saturday nights!

4 Likes

Nice, will try get back on the weekend!
Close to many other nice visitor places in Tainan. Hope any visitors visit the old alley shops too

1 Like

What time do you start? Maybe go before I meet my friends later in the evening, dependent on weather but seems Typhoon is that close at all (light rain here)?

We are closed this weekend…my apologies.
We had plans for this weekend with family friends.
Also I’m expecting lingering rain due to the typhoon so I don’t think it makes a lot of sense to open this weekend.
We’ll be open next week (hopefully the new typhoon won’t bring more rain :crossed_fingers:).

Hope to see you around!:+1:

2 Likes