Same sex marriage in Taiwan

I am a Canadian male wanting to marry a Filipina transgender she is also male.
what paper work do we need and where to get the marriage certificate?

I think that one of you has to be a resident , but I’m not 100% sure of that . There is a thread somewhere if you type in search topics, I’m sure you can see it . . “Same sex marriage in Taiwan for foreigners”

Check out this thread.

100% sure, Filipina cannot marry a same sex partner in Taiwan, because their country doesn’t recognize it.

Why not do it in your country.

1 Like

My Fiance was denied a visitors visa. I don’t think we need the Philippines to recognize the marriage as i will not be going there once married we can do a spousal sponsorship for Canada from the Philipines. as Canada recognizes same sex marriages.

just wondering where we have to go to get certicate and if any documents are required before we arrive.

you may not need, but taiwan allows to do it only for couples from countries allowing it. Both should come from countries that allow same sex marriage.

2 Likes

@AndyPanda59 this is what I understand of the law. So unfortunately you can not under the current law.

You can do an online marriage in Utah County, State of Utah, United States. This is an odd, new service provided by this County, but it is considered legal in the United States.

However, if you intend to apply for an immigration benefit based on marriage, then I have no idea how any particular government’s immigration authorities would interpret the facts of your case. For example, US immigration authorities require proof that a marriage is legitimate and not simply a marriage of convenience to gain an immigration benefit. If the parties have not met in person to consummate the marriage, then the US government may very well deny any immigration benefits that are based on an online marriage.

You wrote that you and your partner are from Canada and the Philippines, so I don’t know if this online marriage would meet any of your needs.

Here’s part of an ongoing discussion on this topic, and althought it is related to US immigration. the discussion about the Philippine government may be relevant:

2 Likes

As the Philippines does not allow same sex marriage, you cannot get married in Taiwan and unfortunately there is no way around that.

Also 2 foreigners can get legally married in Taiwan and the documents required are the same as 1 foreigner and 1 Taiwanese citizen getting married. 2 witnesses, proof of singleness, passports/ARCs/IDs, and a few forms. The requirements are the same for same sex couples

But 2 foreigners getting married in Taiwan causes more problems than it solves, you would be better off getting married in another country first and this is particularly true if one of the foreigner’s countries has a national marriage registry.

1 Like

Has something changed?

“From January 19th, 2023, residents of those not recognize same-sex marriage countries, Hong Kong, and Macau can also apply for same-sex marriage registration in Taiwan, that further marriage equality.”

Number of same-sex marriages between citizens and foreign nationals, The United States ranks first..

I think I was wrong, and you could get married in Taiwan. Although I would still recommend getting married in Canada first

2 Likes