San Francisco is worse than the third world in some places

and needle exchanges. and decent internet.

1 Like

Yes but apart from public toilets what have the Romans ever done for us?

:rofl:

2 Likes

Roads! Orgies! Odometers! Maps! Called the Belgians the bravest people ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc

1 Like

When I lived in San francisco back in the late 1990’s there were quite a few democrats visible on the streets, but they didnt poop and throw needles about like that, they were mainly harmless and just bothered people for spare change. Sounds like things have gone downhill.

Article is biased and sensationalistic. I don’t doubt that they found poop and needles. But The “downtown” they studied is called “the tenderloin,” which is the poorest district where homeless and transients congregate. SF people don’t call that “downtown.” (SF business district is not in the tenderloin.)

Of course no one deserves to live with poop and needles on the ground in their neighborhood. But is not representative of the majority of the city. San Francisco is still a very nice place indeed for those who can afford more expensive or even average neighborhoods.

The article basically reports “we went to the ghetto and we found drugs and homeless people!”

The sad truth is that, because of the insane concentration of wealth and high costs in SF, poor or homeless people have nowhere else to go, except for the tenderloin. The concentration of drugs and poop is terrible because (among other reasons) poor people are forced out of all other gentrified neighborhoods resulting in concentrated poverty in one district, and therefore, a concentration of drugs, homeless, and poop.

Although this is a big problem, the article will lead people to think that this problem is common throughout San Francisco, which is not true.

2 Likes

The tenderloin definitely is part of downtown, but the needles and poop problem extends way beyond the tenderloin. The drugs and filth can be found all along Market, south of Market, in the Mission, Haight, the Castro, basically pretty large swaths of the city.

The tenderloin is hardly a ghetto, more like the theater district. It just happens to be where the homeless congregate in the largest numbers.

That’s only part of the equation. The other part is complete lack of political will to do anything about the problem. A lot of the homeless/addict population isn’t even from San Francisco. They tend to gravitate toward places where drugs are freely available and police enforcement is minimal…places like San Francisco.

4 Likes

SF is quite large, there are awesome areas, so so areas and places to avoid areas

So, they’re basically being herded into a… what did the Europeans used to call it? A “ghetto.”

One medical association is threatening to pull its conventions out from San Francisco after 2023 due to the sanitary conditions.

toxic poop.

I found poop and needles in Taiwan a while ago! Democrat devils!

I saw toilet paper that had been used to wipe poop today close to where I park my scooter. My guess is that it’s not as bad as it sounds and it was probably used on a dog and then dropped there, but talk about a bad way to start the day. And what’s up with the toilet paper on dogs anyway? I guess on extra furry dogs, but it still cracks me up when I see this.

One of my cats loves to eat long hair, so sometimes I need to use toilet paper to help him … er … finish the job when the hair isn’t quite letting him leave his business behind. Tug, tug, MIAO!

Alarmingly, of my two cats, he’s the smart one.

2 Likes

Live in the Bay Area for a couple of years. Downtown SF isn’t the nicest place to be in the Bay Area, but at the same time most parts of Downtown SF are still way nicer than downtown LA.

I think the national opioid crisis is the main cause of the situation. If so, this would be a nation-wide phenomenon, as several have already mentioned. Perhaps at the same time of focusing on how to keep the streets clean, people should put more attention to fixing the opioid crisis…

While the availability of legal and illegal opioids doesn’t help, I think the problem is that a lot of people with a mix of personal and income problems decide that SF is a kind of mecca and find a way to get there.

It’s a mecca because it’s (one of) the faces of the tech industry in California, but also because it’s (one of) the faces of liberal “thought” and thus can be taken advantage of. For example, the police in San Francisco are super tolerant. SF is also famously liberal when it comes to street drugs and public intoxication. San Francisco is a sanctuary city. San Francisco has had a colorful reputation for more than 150 years.

Would love to see a survey and learn where SF homeless considered home before home was SF. I’d bet a house that all 50 states are represented, and that the majority moved there from outside California.

2 Likes

From the nytimes no less. Hmm…

In 2014 I had an opportunity to take a job in New York City. The placing firm’s cost-of-living calculator indicated I’d need a minimum yearly salary of US$175,000 to live in Manhattan. Anything below that was considered low income.

1 Like

This is my hometown, born and raised. It’s the best city in the world. Was a paramedic in SF for nearly 7 years, seen all the good, all the bad. But as with all metropolitans, don’t stay out alone after dark, stay out of the Tenderloin District, but almost all other places, even SoMa are comin’ up. Pico breweries and top notch restaurants everywhere. But sadly, no good BBQ… yet.

I enjoyed the time that I spent in San Fran. Good people.