Sanxia Living

Dont say that to a black American (word to the wise). They dont really like to be called african. They are many generations away from Africa. And a lot of them just like to be called “black”.

“Any one live in SanXia (三峽)” is a trick question. Because they are all zombies.

As are many Chinese …

Hey Guys,

So I’m really close to make decision to move to Sanxia from Taipei City. I was wondering what do you, Forumosans living there think about Sanxia now. There have been posts about it but they are few years old. What are the pros and cons of living in Sanxia?

At the moment me and my family (wife+little daughter) live next to Xiangshan MRT and we like it here but we need a bigger place. Prices in Taipei are high for the standard of living (and sizes of apartments) that we expect. We can’t find anything that suits our renting budget (±30k) and needs. In Sanxia dor 30k we can get a great place, but how about the “buts”? Or what is great about living there?

Maybe the best way is to look on 591.com.tw, pick a few places you think you might like and take the MRT, then bus out there to look around the neighborhood (or drive). Xiangshan MRT seems much nicer than Sanxia.

I was hoping for some feedback from people already living there. I have seen 10+ apartments in Sanxia and I do have some image of the area itself.
Xianghan MRT area is nice, but for a place we would like to get we would have to pay 50k+/month - that’s over our budget.

Anyone?

I moved to Sanxia couple of months ago, to the new area near Taipei University. As you mentioned you can have a great place for 30K and even less. I really enjoy living here and I have no regrets.
Let me try to make a pros&cons list…

Pros:

• Cheaper than Taipei and other areas in NTC. You can get a newer, bigger and better apartment with community services for the same price.
  • Beautiful and quiet place. Way different that many neighborhoods in Taipei and NTC.
  • Large roads and sidewalks. No scooters parking or vendor stuff on the sidewalk that make you on the street.
  • Child-friendly. Many parks around and most of the buildings have playgrounds as well. Also a couple of good schools in the area.
  • Convenient. Lots of shops, supermarkets and restaurants around. Near the highway no. 3 which can take you to the center of Taipei in no time, if you need it.

Cons:

• It can be far from your friends and workplace if you don’t have a car. The only public transportations available are buses. No MRT or train stations around. Using bus, you may take from 30min to 1h30min to reach Taipei, depending on where do you need to go.
  • It’s a family oriented area. If you are a nightlife person, you may find it a bit boring, since the restaurants close around 10 pm.

This is all I could think about. Maybe someone else have more to add to the list?

P.S.: All the points I listed are related to the new area, around the NTPU. If you go the older side of Sanxia most of the points will not be true…

While you moving out from the city, let me introduce you to Linkou. The first planned community in Taiwan. Outlined by the government in 1970s, just after the US Armed Forces leaving the country.
Access to city rather convenient considering we’re going to get an MRT station in a few months (*that’s what the government keep saying, tho).

Yes, Linkou is a nice place as well.

Not sure if it’s the first planned community, tho. The community around Taipei University is also planned.

There’s been planned communities going back to Japanese times.'some famous ones from KMT times are zhongxing new village and minsheng community.

Hi,
I live opposite in Yingge and have looked out across to Sanxia for the last 8 years (nice view). We looked at buying in Sanxia but decided that living next to the train station in Yingge is better…15min to banqiao, 25m to Taipei, 35m to Songshan. I think Sanxia ticks a lot of boxes (especially with kids-safe, clean, broad streets, riverside park and mountains), but IMHO it desperately needs that MRT line that they keep talking about, to go through. So for now its buses and cars. For me, that’s the only real downside. Prices are still relatively ok for renting and buying.Hope that helps.
Martin

I rode youbike on the bike path from dingpu to sanxia today. Surprisingly quick. There was some great country roads i came across. It was pretty fun riding around there. The new district didn’t do much for me. People there seemed smug. Probably just my imagination.

2 Likes

Not really.

3 Likes

Bei Da area definitely has smug engineer types* living there who commute into Taipei. The little lady likes it there overall though.

*Not all engineers are smug but most smug people here are engineers.

Gas explosion in Sanxia, Datung road near the cemetery but I don’t think any foreigners lives there anymore. I knew one American that did but he moved back home years ago. Anyways, I was warned not to go and live near a graveyard.

1 Like

nope.

Someone told me Shanxia is cooler, with higher altitude and all that. But he said you’ll have mosquitoes and cockroaches, snakes, centipedes, etc. all over the place…

San Xia?

三峽

Ah, been there. Done that. Next.