Say Thank You to a Police Officer

I’ve heard anecdotally from friends that that still works. Personally I’ve always used Chinese and been really apologetic and have never been issued a ticket from a cop, just warnings the whole time I’ve been here. Cameras OTH

If the cop thinks your being smart he can just make you wait until the FAP show up and that’s going to ruin your whole day.

Well, there was that guy who was stabbed to death the other day…

5 Likes

I also remembered that people thank soldiers for protecting the country. They get paid to be a soldier, it’s their job.

There was that guy but that could have been anyone. Look, where I’m from cops walk the beat and get involved in the community at every opportunity. Cops here really don’t do a great deal. Their purpose isn’t law enforcement as such, it’s mostly helping in dispute resolution.

1 Like

Generally, people aren’t required to actively deal with some loon with a knife causing a disturbance. So agree to disagree on the “it could of been anyone”. Cop did is job, and paid for it with his life. It may be rare, but they have to walk around carrying that risk everyday because its their job to intervene.

1 Like

Just as a side note and playing devil’s advocate here. Did the cop have a gun? He was railway police, I’d say those guys need to carry tasers for just these types of situations. He was trying to stop a guy waving a knife around and he had no weapon, no baton, nothing.

Actually this is not a bad idea… at least for serious stuff. To give a fine for illegally parking somewhere where nobody gives a damn… I don’t see it, and to encourage them doing so I don’t see it at all. However there are some other scenarios that I’d not only thank them but also ASK them to do something. Indeed, I tried two times to get cops doing something, one case was much worse than the other, but in both cases cops were either laid back or just run away without doing shit.

In a related note, have you guys noticed traffic police doing nothing apart from checking their phone? xD

1 Like

Except at month end when they suddenly go on a ticket spree to make their quotas.

1 Like

When things like this happens. the police start to think that anyone around them can kill them at any time. And then they start to be like cops in the USA and then innocent civilians can be killed when a cop fears for his life with or without just cause.

Being an officer is pretty risky . Especially in the USA, but Taiwan is starting to become a higher risk than it used to be.

Two rookie female cops were killed by mad men here in sacramento and davis areas recently too.

https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article224275110.html

Tough job ?
That’s debatable for some of them. …

some times can be a tough job

No! Just contributing to the problem with this attitude.

3 Likes

True!
I’m almost starting to agree with @the_bear about having a dislike button…

The guy only lives 3km from his stop I thought. He could ride a bike or scooter and get there in no time.

Everywhere in the World being a Police Officer is a thankless job - high stress, long hours, missing holidays and major family events, and poorly portrayed in the media (especially in the last few years). The silent law-abiding majority generally appreciate the job they do, but say nothing. Criminals always yell foul at the top of their lungs that they have had their rights abused etc., which all the media swarms all over like flies on fecal matter. But when the truth comes out at trial, they conveniently have little to no coverage on it.

Yes there are bad apples, but it is fewer than most people these days think. It is more often poor decisions made under stress, due to poor training or lack of equipment. The majority of Police signed up to try and make society a better place, believe it or not.

Anyways, a simple, “Thank you for your service, you have difficult job”, is generally appreciated by the cops I know - they don’t hear it very often.

3 Likes

This reminds me of a time when my friend’s mum was picking me up to go to my friend’s place, and she said “we’ll feed him well” and my dad said “oh, that’s nice of you”, in the sense of belittling me, like I don’t need to be fed. And when we were in the car his mum said “did you hear that? he must think that we don’t feed him”, the implication being that I go home and complain about not being fed (the opposite actually being the case).
I was too shy to say anything so I just stayed silent

How about you continue to stay silent??

At least until a Police Officer shoots you.

Deal?

No comment

your memo was a bit confusing to that customer and barista